Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

National Theatre Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch

I saw this last year when the broadcast it at the movie theatres, and it was amazing. In the National Theatre live performances, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller alternate the roles of Victor and The Creature -- the version I saw had Cumberbath as Victor and Miller as The Creature.

But I just spotted that not only are they doing some repeat broadcasts in June, they're going to be showing both versions! The schedule for Cineplex in Canada is June 14 and 16: Benedict Cumberbatch (the Creature), Jonny Lee Miller (Victor Frankenstein), and June 21 and 23: Jonny Lee Miller (the Creature), Benedict Cumberbatch (Victor Frankenstein). I would imagine the schedule is the same for the theatres carrying it in the US.

More info and venues worldwide.

vCash
    I saw it the other way around. I had already bought my ticket, and then they announced that they were adding a second performance - the way you saw it, and I couldn't go.

So, when they announced encores I was very excited. But they still haven't given the dates in Seattle. I'm sure it will be after June 15th or so. Have to get through the Seattle International Film Festival first! (3 1/2 weeks, 6 venues, 273 features, 187 shorts)

vCash
    Well you could always drive up here to see it. You wouldn't even have to go all the way downtown, as it's playing at both Richmond SilverCity and Langley Colossus.

vCash
    I'm doing a lot of moving around this summer, and I'll be just missing the screenings at every place I'll be. Boooo! I really want to see this.

vCash
    I saw it with BC as the Creature. Really amazing production. Wonder if they'll ever give it a DVD release.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    This sounds fantastic--I also hope for a DVD release.

vCash
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be a DVD.

From the National Theatre website:
    Will you be releasing a DVD of the production?

We have no plans to release a DVD. We know from letters, tweets and emails that a great many people wanted another chance to see the production – and these encore screenings have been scheduled in response to that huge public demand. Our rights arrangements with actors and crew don’t currently permit DVD release, and we’re also keen for as many people as possible to experience the broadcasts in the format for which they were created: broadcast in HD to cinemas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I saw this last year when the broadcast it at the movie theatres, and it was amazing. In the National Theatre live performances, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller alternate the roles of Victor and The Creature -- the version I saw had Cumberbath as Victor and Miller as The Creature.

But I just spotted that not only are they doing some repeat broadcasts in June, they're going to be showing both versions! The schedule for Cineplex in Canada is June 14 and 16: Benedict Cumberbatch (the Creature), Jonny Lee Miller (Victor Frankenstein), and June 21 and 23: Jonny Lee Miller (the Creature), Benedict Cumberbatch (Victor Frankenstein). I would imagine the schedule is the same for the theatres carrying it in the US.

More info and venues worldwide.
    Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately I can't get the website to pull up any screenings for Vancouver, BC. Am I doing something wrong in my search or is it simply not broadcast here?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be a DVD.

From the National Theatre website:
    Pretty short-sighted of them, I think. No matter how widespread you try to make your bigscreen release, there are people who aren't going to be able to get there.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marigold View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately I can't get the website to pull up any screenings for Vancouver, BC. Am I doing something wrong in my search or is it simply not broadcast here?
    No, it's not you -- their website is sometimes rather glitchy when you search for any date other than today. The best way to find it is to start typing the name of your city, wait for the autocomplete to come up, select it, then hit refresh.

I can tell you that the only theatre in Vancouver proper showing it is the Scotiabank downtown on Burrard -- but it's also playing at Metropolis in Burnaby, SilverCity Richmond, SilverCity Coquitlam, and Collossus Langley. 6:45 for Jun 14 and 21, 12:30 for Jun 16 and Jun 23.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Pretty short-sighted of them, I think. No matter how widespread you try to make your bigscreen release, there are people who aren't going to be able to get there.
    I think it's only "short-sighted" of them if you figure they have a mandate to reach as wide an audience as possible (and make as much money as possible) -- and I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think it's an intentional artistic decision. They're already altering the artform to broadcast it in movie theatres, so to put it onto DVD would be taking one more (giant) step in removing it from its live, intimate origins.

I'm thrilled that they're doing these theatre broadcasts at all, as it's the only way I'd be able to see this particular production. And they're already repeating this one more than any of their previous productions. There were a couple that I missed, and at least one that I'd love to be able to see again (The Habit of Art) ... but c'est la vie.

vCash
    I think it's only "short-sighted" of them if you figure they have a mandate to reach as wide an audience as possible (and make as much money as possible) -- and I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think it's an intentional artistic decision. They're already altering the artform to broadcast it in movie theatres, so to put it onto DVD would be taking one more (giant) step in removing it from its live, intimate origins.
    I agree, although I imagine there are also rights issues aplenty.

vCash
    No, it's not you -- their website is sometimes rather glitchy when you search for any date other than today. The best way to find it is to start typing the name of your city, wait for the autocomplete to come up, select it, then hit refresh.

I can tell you that the only theatre in Vancouver proper showing it is the Scotiabank downtown on Burrard -- but it's also playing at Metropolis in Burnaby, SilverCity Richmond, SilverCity Coquitlam, and Collossus Langley. 6:45 for Jun 14 and 21, 12:30 for Jun 16 and Jun 23.
    Thanks so much Artemis! Too bad none of my friends are into BC but I will watch this by myself if I have to!