Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

What does Ashley Wagner need to do to move up the ranks even further?

What can she do, technically or PCS-wise, to improve further and directly challenge a clean Carolina Kostner, a Miki Ando who can score around 200 pts., or even Yu Na (if she comes back)?? Anything? Or will she just be an outside medal shot in the future if these ladies come back in great shape? In other words, is she skating close or at to her full potential?

A glaring problem is the flutz, but will she actually ever fix that? Otherwise, I see her needing to nail the 2x-3t or 3-3 consistently and cleanly.

Can she do anything to get higher levels on non-jump elements?

Will her PCS bump up a bit next season internationally due to her new status as a world frontrunner and the US #1? Is there anything she can do to please intl. judges and get better PCS?

vCash
    Finally getting her jumps under control where she consistently does NOT two-foot the landings will help. Skating clean short programs will also help a lot.

She's got the goods, she's shown that she can get past her "almost" problems and perform beautifully, now she has to keep skating clean consistently in both programs and get rid of the little things, like the two-foots that hurt her scores. I think if she can fix up these areas, it will help her PCS and build a good reputation as a strong skater.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Quadless
    vCash
    As a long time fan, it was great to see Ashley have such a break-through season. To bump it up a notch, fixing her flutz is a given (if she can manage to do that), but I also think she could improve her power. Watch how many crossovers it takes for her to cover the end of the rink - she could get deeper in her knees and learn to better use her blade and body to extract more power from her stroking.

I think the key to her future success will also lie in her choreography. She seems to have excelled playing a character this season, so it will be interesting to see what she and her team come up with for next year.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    It's strange for me as I enjoy watching her but I don't feel a connection to her like Ando, Kostner, Kim or Asada.
    I can't quite work out why.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    It's strange for me as I enjoy watching her but I don't feel a connection to her like Ando, Kostner, Kim or Asada.
    I can't quite work out why.
    I agree about this - she reminds me of Kristi Yamaguchi: nice programmes, good jumps, everything done clean, nice and well recently, but it just leaves me emotionally cold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Finally getting her jumps under control where she consistently does NOT two-foot the landings will help. Skating clean short programs will also help a lot.
    Yeah. I guess the 2-foots are right now her biggest problem, but not nearly the problem they were even a year ago. The ur /2ft. on the 3toe of the 2x-3t cost her a few points at worlds and maybe a medal (even with the flawed SP). Same with the SP's; much, much better and not nearly the bugaboo they were just a season ago, but when she needed to go clean the most (at Worlds) she faltered.

I think the flutz is chronic and will stay that way. Any way to skip lutz and get more points, though? She repeats the flip and loop and otherwise performs every triple save the axel. I don't think another clean 2x from Ashley will equal as many points as a flutz.

-----

I guess cleaning up the 2-ft's and going cleaner would put her past skaters like Suzuki (maybe) and Leonova, but she would probably need to do longer term work like what someone above suggested - more knees and blade work thereby generating more speed - to catch skaters like Kostner et al

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    She just needs to continue her great work from this past season and focus on clean SPs.

vCash
    She needs to work on her edge work. Her edges tend to be a little labroed and it really becomes evident in her step sequence (and work on a level 4 step sequence which pretty much every top lady seems to be getting these days). On top of that, her non-jump elements (spins) could be improved even more. When you look at the protocols at Worlds, everyone in the top 5 was getting +2s for their non-jump elements (namely their spins), while Ashley got mostly +1s. I think the move to Nicks actually made her spins slower...

And I'm surprised people get emotional value from Miki's performances and don't from Ashley's........... That is a big for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    She needs to work on her edge work. Her edges tend to be a little labroed and it really becomes evident in her step sequence (and work on a level 4 step sequence which pretty much every top lady seems to be getting these days). On top of that, her non-jump elements (spins) could be improved even more. When you look at the protocols at Worlds, everyone in the top 5 was getting +2s for their non-jump elements (namely their spins), while Ashley got mostly +1s. I think the move to Nicks actually made her spins slower...

And I'm surprised people get emotional value from Miki's performances and don't from Ashley's........... That is a big for me.
    If I remember correctly I think she got a level 4 step sequence at world team trophy. Agreed on her spins, they got slower the last two seasons but form has improved I think.

vCash
    I think she needs to just listen to Mr. Nicks, and do whatever he says. He seems to have worked magic with her this year.......hopefully that trajectory will continue.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Ashley needs to simply continue to build on her mental strength and confidence. We have seen how maturity and conviction in presentation and performance, during the most pressure packed moments, is what leads certain athletes to the top. I believe she is such a skater. Sure she could continue to build her technical arsenal. But I always believed she had it "in her." Is mostly a matter of letting it show when it matters. In my book, she's well on her way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    If I remember correctly I think she got a level 4 step sequence at world team trophy. Agreed on her spins, they got slower the last two seasons but form has improved I think.
    One other thing too is that she needs to work on making her double axel bigger. The double axel can rack up a lot of points and when your competitors are pretty much getting +2s for theirs, you should too. She doesn't step up much into it and so she jumps a little low on it and has gotten it downgraded a couple of times in the past.

vCash
    do well in the short program and continue to do well in the long

vCash
    She needs to improve her jumps further. She still gives up edge deductions and is prone to two foots and underrotations. I would like by some miracle to see the triple lutz-triple loop she had in 2008 make a comeback too.

She really needs to improve as a short program skater. She rarely does clean shorts, and her programs and elements in the short are never as strong as the long. If she continues to do so so short programs she wont make the mark she wasnt on the World level.

The good news for her is I highly doubt Kim or Ando will be a worry anytime in the future.

vCash
    -Improve levels on spins
    -More consistent non-2 footed jumps
    -Stronger short programs
    -The right music (key because so many people loved Black Swan)

vCash
    For me, it's quite simple.

STOP MESSING UP THE SHORT PROGRAM!!

It would help to stop 2-footing jumps as well, although she HAS improved in this area over last year.

vCash
    1. stroking and edging
    2. speed
    3. spin speed
    4. fix the lazy free foot (already much improved to be honest)

vCash
    Become more poised.
    I recommend her to take a step back when she finds herself wanting something too much.

vCash

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    As a long time fan, it was great to see Ashley have such a break-through season. To bump it up a notch, fixing her flutz is a given (if she can manage to do that), but I also think she could improve her power. Watch how many crossovers it takes for her to cover the end of the rink - she could get deeper in her knees and learn to better use her blade and body to extract more power from her stroking.

I think the key to her future success will also lie in her choreography. She seems to have excelled playing a character this season, so it will be interesting to see what she and her team come up with for next year.
    Ash needed this year to feel like "a big girl". She was a contender at major events and even placed first in some big ones. The power in her jumps needs to be transferred to her stroking. Her steps are short and rigid instead of long powerful and edgy. Gaining power on the push and the pull of the blade will be useful.

I understand that she really likes phil Mills but i think her programs were underdeveloped. She could also use some help in her facial expressions as well as interpretation of bigger and more powerful pieces. Ashley's yeah... i'm so happy and seee..i remembered to smile really really big expression is just not appropriate for every selection. All in all, I just think she has a little more maturing to do. One thing that Lori Nichol is better at than some choreographers is teaching a woman to skate like a mature woman. Exploring the power but femininity of a woman will help Ashley. Not saying that Lori is the answer but finding a style identity for ashley will be important
    Last edited by arakwafan2006; 05-01-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: No coffee this morning made me say phil Hersh instead of Mills. whoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I understand that she really likes phil Hersh but i think her programs were underdeveloped.
    Wow, Hersh has hidden talents!

I think and hope the opportunity of skating on the CSOI tour will be beneficial for Ashley's development as a performer.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast