Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    GZ returned to Sanford last night and will turn himself in before the deadline imposed by the court.
    Another bond hearing has been scheduled.
    The consensus is that bond will likely be reset; although at a much higher figure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Their lawyer was quoted as saying he hoped he could "explain away" these things and get Martin released again. How do you explain away lying to a judge?
    This is shameful. He will once again get away with just a bond hearing, and the donations received on his website will help him make those payments. This is not money that he or his family actually 'earned'.

vCash
    Zimmerman wants a new bond hearing (not a suprise):

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/04/justic...html?hpt=hp_t2

vCash
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...ing-on/1233133

The Tampa Bay paper has done a very good investigative piece on the effects of Stand Your Ground in Florida, particularly in their part of it. They looked at over 200 cases and compiled statistics.

Those who invoke "stand your ground" to avoid prosecution have been extremely successful. Nearly 70 percent have gone free.
    and

Defendants claiming "stand your ground" are more likely to prevail if the victim is black. Seventy-three percent of those who killed a black person faced no penalty compared to 59 percent of those who killed a white
    As we now know:

The new law only requires law enforcement and the justice system to ask three questions in self-defense cases: Did the defendant have the right to be there? Was he engaged in a lawful activity? Could he reasonably have been in fear of death or great bodily harm?
    The interpretation of "reasonable" has been very strange and inconsistently applied, too.

Applicable to the Martin case:

And courts are divided on what the law is when a victim is retreating.
    In some jurisdictions, even if it were proved that Martin was retreating, Zimmerman might get off.

Aside from allowing murderers to get off scott free, the law has another bad (IMO) consequence:

As "stand your ground" claims have increased, so too has the number of Floridians with guns. Concealed weapons permits now stand at 1.1 million, three times as many as in 2005 when the law was passed.

"I think the (stand your ground) law has an emboldening effect. All of a sudden, you're a tough guy and can be aggressive,'' said George Kirkham, a professor emeritus at Florida State University who has worked as a police officer.

vCash
    Mrs. Zimmerman just got arrested on a perjury charge:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ry-charge?lite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Mrs. Zimmerman just got arrested on a perjury charge:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ry-charge?lite
    I just saw this on CNN (didn't have the time to read the story).......not very surprising. She did lie to the judge.

vCash
    Part of an article in the Huffington Post:

Records show Shellie Zimmerman in the days before the hearing transferred $74,000 in eight smaller amounts ranging from $7,500 to $9,990, from her husband's credit union account to hers, according to an arrest affidavit. It also shows that $47,000 was transferred from George Zimmerman's account to his sister's in the days before the bond hearing.

Four days after he was released on bond, Shellie Zimmerman transferred more than $85,500 from her account into her husband's account, the affidavit said. The affidavit also said that jail call records show that George Zimmerman instructed her to "pay off all the bills," including an American Express and Sam's Club card.

A state attorney investigator met with credit union officials and learned that she had control of transfers to and from her husband's account.

Jeffrey Neiman, a former federal prosecutor now in private practice, said cash transactions in excess of $10,000 usually trigger a reporting requirement by the bank to multiple government agencies – including the IRS.

"If Mrs. Zimmerman intentionally structured the financial transactions in a manner to keep the offense under $10,000, not only may she have committed perjury in the state case, but she also may have run afoul of several federal statutes and could face serious federal criminal charges," Neiman wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

So, Zimmerman and his wife had been talking in code, money was transferred into the wife's account in 8 smaller amounts (so a reporting requirement wouldn't be triggered), money was transferred to Zimmerman's sister account (so his family was aware), and Zimmerman was going to use the money not for legal fees, but to pay off bills he accumulated over the years.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post

So, Zimmerman and his wife had been talking in code, money was transferred into the wife's account in 8 smaller amounts (so a reporting requirement wouldn't be triggered), money was transferred to Zimmerman's sister account (so his family was aware), and Zimmerman was going to use the money not for legal fees, but to pay off bills he accumulated over the years.
    Charming.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Wonder if they'll set-up a paypal defense website for her now

vCash
    Probably because there are those who think that the Zimmerman's are being persecuted and that George was just defending himself against a pot-smoking, thug who attacked him.

vCash
    This just appeared on the CNN website:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/21/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

I think Zim could actually go scot free because of Florida's SYG law. He is the only one telling the story since Trayvon is dead. The only question is- will the judge believe GZ who has lied in recent past?

vCash
    IMO

1) I think the basic facts of the case may have gotten Zimmerman off based on the SYG rules (which IMO need to go).

2) I think Zimmerman is "enhancing" his story to improve his odds (though I think he is also making himself look foolish by doing this.)

So I guess I expect him to get off, period.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I think Zimmerman will get a slap on the wrist - time served and released.

vCash
    And then he'll have to watch his back for the rest of his life. So many will be out to get him.

vCash
    I believe very little of anything GZ - or his wife - have said.
    They have concealed/"embroidered" the truth throughout.

GZ was the one with the lethal weapon!
    If I were Trayvon, and he approached me, I would certainly be in fear for my life.

If GZ had waited for the police - and let them handle the situation - whatever it was - as requested, I might be more inclined to believe his story.
    That he didn't - makes me question his actions, and what motivated them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I believe very little of anything GZ - or his wife - have said.
    They have concealed/"embroidered" the truth throughout.
    In released phone calls, this is one of the things said between the two as tens of thousands of dollars raised online was pouring in:

"After this, ... you're going to be able to just have a great life," Shellie Zimmerman said.

"We will," replies her husband.

Kill an unarmed kid, have a great life afterwards.

vCash
    I saw a video online where Zim "re-enacts" the shooting. I can't believe this is being allowed...can't it taint the jury pool?

vCash
    I just read some comments on our local newspaper's website. The bias and ignorance of the posters is shocking, to say the least. At least 80% are for GZ, and they are blaming Trayvon, even calling him a punk. I am embarrassed to be living in Arizona, and this is not the first time.

That explains how GZ was able to attract so much cash to his website. I know the bias is not limited to Arizona. It's just that the percentage of biased posts that support GZ is shocking to me.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    In released phone calls, this is one of the things said between the two as tens of thousands of dollars raised online was pouring in:

"After this, ... you're going to be able to just have a great life," Shellie Zimmerman said.

"We will," replies her husband.

Kill an unarmed kid, have a great life afterwards.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    GZ stalked him when the police clearly told him to stop. To me, GZ's at fault.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast