Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Will anyone ever skate to Brokeback Mountain?

I know most skaters wouldn't touch the score by Santaolalla. But my god The Wings is such a beautiful piece of music that it seems like such an obvious pick.

I always thought Jeremy Abbott would be able to create beautiful skating with this song (probably a short program) He's like the perfect skater to skate to The Wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fe1dzhY_ps

vCash
    Maybe chan since he's already conquered the "six inches" from BBM

vCash
    It would be interesting to see Jeremy Abbott skate to this music, perhaps it is more suited to an exhibition number, especially with the lyrics. However, an instrumental version too would be nice. But, I wonder maybe whether the subject matter/ context of the film might be a deterrent for some skaters selecting this beautiful music.

Certainly, the eloquent, brave and wonderful film Brokeback Mountain (by Ang Lee) should have won an Academy Award for Best Picture instead of the flawed Crash. I also felt Heath Ledger deserved to win an Oscar for Best Actor that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    It would be interesting to see Jeremy Abbott skate to this music, perhaps it is more suited to an exhibition number, especially with the lyrics. However, an instrumental version too would be nice. But, I wonder maybe whether the subject matter/ context of the film might be a deterrent for some skaters selecting this beautiful music.

Certainly, the eloquent, brave and wonderful film Brokeback Mountain (by Ang Lee) should have won an Academy Award for Best Picture instead of the flawed Crash. I also felt Heath Ledger deserved to win an Oscar for Best Actor that year.
    I think there's enough sensitivity and maturity in Jeremy for the subject matter of the film not to be a problem. It really is a shame the film has kept skaters from using this beautiful melody. Well not the film itself but their ignorance.

Maybe one day, who knows.

PS: Yes, it should have won the Oscar. It was such a shock when it lost.

Macassar88 you little devil

vCash
    Maybe Bobrova and Soloviev?

vCash
    I suppose it's a matter of how it is presented. Imagine you are sitting on your couch watching the U.S. Nationals on television next year. ( Wouldn't that be great? ) Alissa Czisny is introduced and she skates out to center ice and takes her position. The information box pops up and tells you she is skating to "Sacrifice" by Maurice Jarre. You wouldn't think much of it.
    But if the info box told you she was skating to the soundtrack of Mandingo, that would raise an eyebrow or two.

vCash
    My favorite to be skated to would be : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsryKr3RiU
    But I guess you are right : it's difficult for a skater to choose this music considering the film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I suppose it's a matter of how it is presented. Imagine you are sitting on your couch watching the U.S. Nationals on television next year. ( Wouldn't that be great? ) Alissa Czisny is introduced and she skates out to center ice and takes her position. The information box pops up and tells you she is skating to "Sacrifice" by Maurice Jarre. You wouldn't think much of it.
    But if the info box told you she was skating to the soundtrack of Mandingo, that would raise an eyebrow or two.
    -- Cultural/ recent and past historical references aside, I must check out both of these pieces of music!

Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    My favorite to be skated to would be : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsryKr3RiU
    But I guess you are right : it's difficult for a skater to choose this music considering the film.
    Oh gosh, that instrumental version is so lovely and heartbreaking, especially as it recalls Heath Ledger's poignant and remarkable performance, as well as his untimely death a couple of years after BBM debuted.

Maybe a skater might choose this music and have the info box read: "Selections from composer, Gustavo Santaolalla." But surely it can't be as bad to the extent, God forbid that the title is even referenced!?

Oh well, I guess Polymer Bob already made that point.

vCash
    A pairs team skated to this at US Nationals a couple of years back.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Weir is the one who comes to mind!

vCash
    ^^ But somehow I don't quite see Johnny in the role of a cowboy. Sure he could perform to this music. I'd like to see Jeremy or Adam skate to it. Even Dornbush might try it as an ironic contrast to his fp of this past season. But Ricky will probably be moving on to something quite different, and I hope successful for him.

Jayar, do you remember who the pairs team was that skated to this music?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Similarly, just as THIS is a fun piece of music that would be great backing for a short program, I can't see it ever being used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ But somehow I don't quite see Johnny in the role of a cowboy.
    No doubt, that would be an interesting costume.

vCash
    Think a ladies skater would tackle it?

vCash
    I wonder if most fans would even know or care about the subject matter of the movie music their listening to. It's a wonderful piece and it's a shame no top flight skater seems to have used it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm going to have to check out these music pieces later (I'm at the library right now enjoying some free air conditioning). I'll check to see if they have the soundtrack.

As for soundtrack music, I loved "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". Thought it had many pieces that were going to be used over and over again after the movie came out. But that didn't really happen...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    As for soundtrack music, I loved "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". Thought it had many pieces that were going to be used over and over again after the movie came out. But that didn't really happen...
    I was very surprised that CTHD music was hardly ever used by skaters. It is such beautiful music! I think just one ice dance team skated to it, and I don't recall any singles or pairs skaters using it.

vCash
    Two creative emotive guys.......Sandhu and Weir...
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I was very surprised that CTHD music was hardly ever used by skaters. It is such beautiful music! I think just one ice dance team skated to it, and I don't recall any singles or pairs skaters using it.
    Verner did when he won Euros, didn't he? Simpson/Blackmer did as well, I think,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Angela Wang skated to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for her LP last year (her great Nationals skate is actually up on Youtube, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLK_PE1vHGA) and she converted it into her SP for this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast