Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Oy-vey (the pain!)

Thanks Vagabond re the correct pronunciation. One of the Eurosport guys naturally voiced it the French way. I believe they too love Matt's skating.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 04-29-2012 at 07:13 AM.

vCash
    A perfect example of how Matt got screwed, albeit a cheesefest (watch to the end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZfGRMJJIXE

vCash
    OMG, I vaguely remember seeing this Marshalls Idol-style cheesefest, and being pissed at the clueless audience voting. I felt Matt and Johnny should have moved to the final round.

But how great is it that Tim and Johnny clapped when Matt kept receiving the compliments and unanimous votes from the panel. Even Peter Carruthers had the sense to vote for Matt rather than who I thought he would go for: Weiss. Alas, the audience apparently loved Weiss' backflips and macho 'tude. I believe Johnny won overall in the end, but Matt would have deserved too I'm certain, if he'd had the chance to compete in the final round, like the panel voted. Not sure I understand why the audience's votes mattered more.

Well, like Dick said, it was just for fun. But sadly, even for fun, Matt couldn't catch a break. Thanks for posting this trip down memory lane. At least Matt publicly received the praise he so deserved. I love the way Matt smiled at the compliments.

Very noticeable too that Weiss did not clap along with Johnny and Tim in tribute to Matt's skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Well, like Dick said, it was just for fun. But sadly, even for fun, Matt couldn't catch a break. Thanks for posting this trip down memory lane. At least Matt publicly received the praise he so deserved. I love the way Matt smiled at the compliments.
    This is the same show at which Matt skated the number Solo Amore that I posted earlier. It was really a stunning performance. And yes! His smile It's like he doesn't believe he's that good and they are all showering him with unabashed praises. So nice to see his talent being recognized and praised like that. I loved Dick's comments and how much he adored Matt's skating. Matt truly was a skater with music in every inch of his bones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    This is the same show at which Matt skated the number Solo Amore that I posted earlier. It was really a stunning performance. And yes! His smile It's like he doesn't believe he's that good and they are all showering him with unabashed praises. So nice to see his talent being recognized and praised like that. I loved Dick's comments and how much he adored Matt's skating. Matt truly was a skater with music in every inch of his bones.
    ^^

Thanks, shine. And thanks too for posting earlier the Solo Amore program that Matt skated at that Marshalls cheesefest, which mesmerized Dick, Peggy, and Peter! What fond memories of Matt ...

vCash
    [QUOTE=aftershocks;3558597

I double-checked the results at 2002 Nationals and 2002 Worlds. Actually, Matt took 4th place at Nats in 2002. Todd Eldredge was first that year (Goebel 2nd, and Weiss 3rd), but I guess Todd was injured b/c he did not attend Worlds, which gave Matt his first chance to compete at Worlds!

[/QUOTE]

I don't recall Todd being injured after 2002 Olympics. I think he was pleased to finish his Olympic eligible career on a high note, following a very strong Olympic free skate. He chose to join SOI mid season, right after the Olympics. I thought he would have competed @ Worlds in 2002, then tour in COI, and join SOI that fall, but he chose to join SOI sooner. Whatever the case, I was so glad that Matt finally had his opportunity to compete @ Worlds that year. Shame on the judges for undermarking him throughout his career.

vCash
    I love Matt and I had never seen that 2002 Worlds performance. That was amazing.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    A perfect example of how Matt got screwed, albeit a cheesefest (watch to the end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZfGRMJJIXE
    Thanks for sharing this particular video. Kudos to Peggy, Peter, and Dick regarding their comments about Matt - well deserved, I might add.

Thanks to everyone for the links to all the videos. It brings back a lot of great memories. Matt was truly one hell of a skater.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I don't recall Todd being injured after 2002 Olympics. I think he was pleased to finish his Olympic eligible career on a high note, following a very strong Olympic free skate. He chose to join SOI mid season, right after the Olympics. I thought he would have competed @ Worlds in 2002, then tour in COI, and join SOI that fall, but he chose to join SOI sooner. Whatever the case, I was so glad that Matt finally had his opportunity to compete @ Worlds that year. Shame on the judges for undermarking him throughout his career.
    Thanks paskatefan, for clearing that up. Yes, I had forgotten that Todd decided not to go to Worlds after the 2002 Olympics. He indeed skated great at the Olympics, and I felt he too was overlooked in the scoring (again b/c of the blasted quad). Todd was a great jumper, and I believe he would have mastered the quad had it been a jump considered crucial earlier in his career, when he would have had more time to train it in an optimal and strategic way. In any event, Todd was close to mastering the quad and the quality of his other jumps was as good or better than all the other top contenders.

vCash
    HECK YEAH. Add me to the fangirl list. I have to say, though, I scarcely noticed Matt until the WOW of seeing his Mission LP at 2006 nationals (and I had watched little skating in the years prior to this--busy as a new mom and we didn't have cable TV). Totally, utterly fell in love with that program, and then pretty much everything else (thank you, YouTube and fsvids.com).

I will say that the thing I notice from his earlier career is some lack of refinement, and a sense that he just didn't feel comfortable performing out there. He's said to be shy, and though his skating was great, I wanted him to ham it up some more, add some OOMPH to stuff, as he was missing that "look at me" quality. If he'd learned earlier in his career to "fake it" in the performance quality, he might have gotten better results (that plus the no-politik coaching situation, as has been mentioned). But his SP and LP 05-06 suited him to a T. Just the perfect vehicles, and perhaps at that point in his career he was more comfortable in front of an audience. I have watched both those programs I don't know how many times.

(However: mergers and acquisitions?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.)

He's also totally robbed of recognition on the difficult jump entries front. I TOTALLY noticed the previously transition-free Lysacek copying some of his stuff a few years after Matt had retired. I consider Jeremy the current torch-bearer of the Matt Savoie School of Difficult Entries.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I will never forget how moved I was by Matt's short program performance at 2005 Nationals in Portland. A (non-skating fan) friend was sitting with me at the time and said, "Wow, I could watch that again!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsN...eature=related

vCash
    ^^ Yeah skatecat. I've watched Matt's 2005 Nats sp many many times and I'm always moved. As I mentioned earlier in this thread (where I also linked to this program), hearing Adagio for Strings, always reminds me of Matt's performance! Thanks for linking it yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    HECK YEAH. Add me to the fangirl list. I have to say, though, I scarcely noticed Matt until the WOW of seeing his Mission LP at 2006 nationals ... Totally, utterly fell in love with that program, and then pretty much everything else (thank you, YouTube and fsvids.com).

I will say that the thing I notice from his earlier career is some lack of refinement, and a sense that he just didn't feel comfortable performing out there. He's said to be shy, and though his skating was great, I wanted him to ham it up some more, add some OOMPH to stuff, as he was missing that "look at me" quality. If he'd learned earlier in his career to "fake it" in the performance quality, he might have gotten better results (that plus the no-politik coaching situation, as has been mentioned). But his SP and LP 05-06 suited him to a T. Just the perfect vehicles, and perhaps at that point in his career he was more comfortable in front of an audience...

(However: mergers and acquisitions?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.)

He's also totally robbed of recognition on the difficult jump entries front. I TOTALLY noticed the previously transition-free Lysacek copying some of his stuff a few years after Matt had retired. I consider Jeremy the current torch-bearer of the Matt Savoie School of Difficult Entries.
    Thanks for sharing LilJen. I agree that Matt and Jeremy are the Masters of "Difficult Entries." And I also feel that Johnny Weir is the Master of Gorgeous Exits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9yzlAiHFc

I also felt there was something indefinable lacking in Matt's very early performances. I always thought he was a great jumper, despite his having some inconsistencies at times (perhaps due to injuries, or nerves), but I too wasn't always as drawn to Matt in his early days. I was more drawn to Ryan Jahnke (altho' Ryan often struggled with some of his triples -- axel in particular). The Kirk Wessler article posted earlier in this thread for me sheds a great deal of light on Matt's personality. Apparently, Matt did struggle with opening himself up more on the ice. But here is an early Matt at 1999 Nationals (which I linked earlier in this thread). I was surprised, as it surely seems here that he was trying to "open up" and he also IMO seems to be "faking it," to little avail I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDqTJ...eature=related

I get from the Wessler article that perhaps Matt's personality is not so much shy as it is withdrawn/ introverted. The way Wessler described Matt as being analytically and intellectually-oriented, Matt is probably a Myers-Briggs INTJ personality type: http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

If that is the case, Matt is probably feeling quite happy and fulfilled as an attorney working on mergers and acquisitions. He certainly appears happy in the current photo (on his firm's website). I wonder if he continues to skate to stay fit and to express a different side of himself.

The Wessler article further points out that the people around Matt tended to adhere to his superior intellect, but they were also determined to help him reach his goal of making the Olympics, and they knew he was having difficulty fully expressing himself on the ice. Enter Kathy Johnson who was able to "read" what Matt was all about and did not mince her words. She told him, "'I will, if I have to, drag you kicking and screaming to the next level, because you are that talented.' Johnson set about deconstructing every layer of Savoie's psychological defenses."

Also, according to Wessler, "Moments before Savoie took the ice for his free skate at nationals, [his choreographer Tom] Dickson got in his face and asked, 'What are you going to do out there?'
    'I'm going to be a different person,' Savoie replied.
    Dickson calls that moment the turning point in Savoie's career."

vCash
    Great article in the "Where Are They Now?" series in this month's USFS magazine. Matt reflects on his career, what it's taught him, and similarities to his work now (nervous anticipation). And he's getting married this fall (he and his fiance met at Cornell). Best wishes!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I love Savoie and miss him so much.

vCash
    Great article in the "Where Are They Now?" series in this month's USFS magazine. Matt reflects on his career, what it's taught him, and similarities to his work now (nervous anticipation). And he's getting married this fall (he and his fiance met at Cornell). Best wishes!

Yes, that article in May issue of Skating magazine is a great read. And he named SP at 2005 US Nats (the one that skatecat mentioned above) as his favorite program, saying that "I felt everything in that program felt the way it was supposed to feel."

vCash
    He named SP at 2005 US Nats (the one that skatecat mentioned above) as his favorite program, saying that "I felt everything in that program felt the way it was supposed to feel."
    Matt, many, many of us share your feelings about that program.
    Thank you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Wonderful news! Congrats to Matt & his fiancee!

vCash
    Oh, that's nice to hear! Does anyone have a link to the article? Thanks in advance.

Cheers to Matt and his fiance!

vCash
    I was happy to see the article in Skating Magazine. Matt seems happy, working as a lawyer for a good firm in Boston, engaged to be married. All fabulous.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I'd love to see the article, also.
    A lifetime of happiness to Matt and his fiancee.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast