Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by personwhoishere View Post
    Am I the only one who finds these two events coinciding slightly amusing? I mean, think about it

In all seriousness though, all the best to Todd and family with his speedy recovery and the pregnancy and birth of their child.
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That's the first thing I thought when I saw the name of the thread....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    There is an amusing side to it and I wouldn't be surprized if Todd himself thinks so too!

In any event-I was very sorry to find out he had hip surgery. The sport does take it's toll on some athletes. I wish Todd all my best for a speedy recovery!
    When my dad would get drunk and sentimental, he'd say to my brother and I, "Ya know, I almost broke my hips to bring you into this world!". My mom would cringe and tell him to shut up!

Todd is 40?? Wow, time sure does fly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I know several women who were runners (not elite level) and had to have hip replacements in their early 50s. Sports do take a toll on your body (otoh, so does not being active at all) but I don't think figure skating is much worse than many other sports. Tara and MK both had major hip surgeries in their 20s and Rudy did have both hips replaced (I think he was in his 30s) but there are other skaters around Todd and Rudy's age that seem to be doing fine (Kristi, Nancy, Brian B....). It depends on the person (their body and specific training regimen)and sometimes it's just luck, or lack thereof.

Best wishes to Todd for a speedy recovery and congratulations to him and his fiancée!
    Debi Thomas' theory on career-ending injuries (specifically Lipinski and Yagudin) was that her generation spent so many hours training figures (4 for her) that they only had about 2 hours a day for freestyle, unlike the current skaters who spend 4 to 6 hours per day on freestyle.

Todd and Rudy stayed competitive longer than most, plus they were doing 3 axels (into their 30's?) long after many skaters had given them up. Rudy went back on tour after his replacements and was still jumping, although COI folded soon after.

vCash
    ...and some people claim that skaters are not athletes!
    Wishing Todd a speedy, complete recovery; with much happiness in the years ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I know several women who were runners (not elite level) and had to have hip replacements in their early 50s. Sports do take a toll on your body (otoh, so does not being active at all) but I don't think figure skating is much worse than many other sports. Tara and MK both had major hip surgeries in their 20s and Rudy did have both
    Use it or lose it OR use it and lose it.... Best to find something that brings you joy and deal with the consequences if/when they come.

Todd was my favorite skater in the late 90's/early 2000's. I hope he recovers well and enjoys being a daddy.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Debi Thomas' theory on career-ending injuries (specifically Lipinski and Yagudin) was that her generation spent so many hours training figures (4 for her) that they only had about 2 hours a day for freestyle, unlike the current skaters who spend 4 to 6 hours per day on freestyle.
    As an orthopaedic surgeon, she would certainly know better than most.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ...and some people claim that skaters are not athletes!
    Wishing Todd a speedy, complete recovery; with much happiness in the years ahead.
    I know I knew someone once who thought figure skating couldn't get you into shape

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Who is Sabrina Corbachi?
    Uh, his fiancee and soon-to-be mother of his child. What more do you want? Seems like there was a pairs skater with a similar name years ago if you're asking if she's a skater. Best of luck to them both.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Congratulations Todd on your successful hip surgery & the coming birth of your first child. May your marriage be just as successful & happy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    When my dad would get drunk and sentimental, he'd say to my brother and I, "Ya know, I almost broke my hips to bring you into this world!". My mom would cringe and tell him to shut up!
    OMG. Those are words no one wants to hear from Mom and Dad, even if it's true!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    He was married several years ago to Megan McCrea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Eldredge

They had a pink wedding if I am remembering correctly. I don't know if they had any kids, doesn't say that they did.
    You remember correctly. They had a special on TLC or the like on the order of "My big fat PINK wedding"! They did not have kids. His fiance has an 8 year old or so from a previous relationship that they showed on one of the Smucker type shows recently with them all at Disney. Sorry for the vagueness of my recollection.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    You remember correctly. They had a special on TLC or the like on the order of "My big fat PINK wedding"!
    I remember seeing part of this. I don't think it was a special but a regular episode of some show on bridal planning. I want to say that the show was Bridezillas, but maybe I am just remembering that the bride came across as a Bridezilla, even if that wasn't the show she was one....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I remember that being my first thought when my dance partner (who was a national dance judge, so often caught wind of these things first) told me figures were going to be phased out, way back when. It was sickening to watch it come to play.

I wonder if (good) coaches today have learned to compensate by adding much more off ice training in areas that build strength but aren't hard on the joints (pilates, ballet, certain kinds of weight training, etc).

Skaters seem to have patterns for falls, meaning any given skater seems to fall similarly a lot of the time. Todd, Tara, and the others mentioned must have taken a lot of falls on the hip. I tended to fall on my butt, where there's always been plenty of padding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post
    I remember that being my first thought when my dance partner (who was a national dance judge, so often caught wind of these things first) told me figures were going to be phased out, way back when. It was sickening to watch it come to play.

I wonder if (good) coaches today have learned to compensate by adding much more off ice training in areas that build strength but aren't hard on the joints (pilates, ballet, certain kinds of weight training, etc).

Skaters seem to have patterns for falls, meaning any given skater seems to fall similarly a lot of the time. Todd, Tara, and the others mentioned must have taken a lot of falls on the hip. I tended to fall on my butt, where there's always been plenty of padding
    Falling doesn't help, but I think landing jumps on one foot is what is so hard on the hip and lower back. Especically triples and quads, and double axels.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I remember seeing part of this. I don't think it was a special but a regular episode of some show on bridal planning. I want to say that the show was Bridezillas, but maybe I am just remembering that the bride came across as a Bridezilla, even if that wasn't the show she was one....
    I watched it but don't remember the name of the show. Besides the pink I recall how nasty she seemed to be to her mother. There was a bridal registry listed somewhere I remember looking at -they chose things like pink plastic colanders and spatulas among the other stuff. No problem with that if you want a pink kitchen, it just gave me pause...
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    at the juxtaposition in the title.

Well wishes and speedy recovery for Todd. I deeply sympathize re the operation (I have relatives in their 70s and 80s who have had such operations, but not due to figure skating ) I'm sure Todd will bounce back nicely, because he is likely still very fit. My relatives recovered too and were in great shape after the requisite post-operative therapy. Amazing stuff orthopaedic surgeons can do with hip and knee replacements.

BTW, I wonder how many hip and knee replacements Debi Thomas has performed? She certainly does have special insight, having been a great jumper and performer on the ice back in the day.

Congrats also to Todd and his fiance on the imminent birth of their first child!

Falling doesn't help, but I think landing jumps on one foot is what is so hard on the hip and lower back. Especically triples and quads, and double axels.
    Isn't it also problematic that skate boots do not provide enough give/ cushion to lessen the landing impact?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 04-27-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Grammar

vCash
    Not to take anything away from Todd's current fiancee, but here's a description of his first wedding (pink wedding got me curious, so I looked Megan up):

http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Wed...type=1&id=5314

http://devserver.the-review.com/news/article/191919
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    ^^ Wow, such a beautiful couple were Todd and Meagan. Sorry for them it didn't work out, but hopefully they both learned a great deal from their relationship that will have helped them move forward with better insights.

Best of luck and happiness to Todd and his new partner, Sabrina!

vCash
    I have the TV episode.
    That wedding was "obsessively" pink; and the "Bridezilla" description may have applied.

vCash
    Isn't it more appropriate now to focus on the woman Todd describes as "amazing"?
    http://www.facebook.com/scorbaci

vCash
    http://www.classmates.com/people/Sab...baci/496491091

If this is Todd's Sabrina, wow, she's gorgeous -- a beautiful brunette! I wonder if her background is Hispanic or Italian?

This old sports news article (scroll down) also mentions that Sabrina Corbaci skated novice pairs as a teenager.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-...8_1_costa-mesa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast