Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    She really is an excellent writer. Straight forward, very articulate and gets the message across very well. Her experience is something that many could relate to and is a really good lesson for life. I hope she has great success with her career.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Banned Member
    vCash
    q
    Last edited by winterone; 04-30-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: wrong area

vCash
    Jenny's latest BLOG

vCash
    I would love to see Jennifer sign a book deal. She has wonderful writing skills and a great skating memoir in her.

vCash
    Totally agree. So many skaters and parents could learn from her experiences.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Totally agree. So many skaters and parents could learn from her experiences.
    She writes well, and I've enjoyed reading her entries so far, but I really hope skating parents do not read this. I have years of immensely positive memories and experiences that I'd hate for skaters to miss out on because their parents read something like this about skating when they were just starting out in the sport. Not everyone's experience carries these kinds of scars.

I hope writing this blog turns out to be a good healing process for Kirk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    She writes well, and I've enjoyed reading her entries so far, but I really hope skating parents do not read this. I have years of immensely positive memories and experiences that I'd hate for skaters to miss out on because their parents read something like this about skating when they were just starting out in the sport. Not everyone's experience carries these kinds of scars.

She tends to project her experiences as being the universal experiences of all skaters. I can't see that every skater in history has been motivated so strongly by pleasing a coach. Champions like Kwan, Plush, Slutskaya, Chan, etc...seem to have been very intrinsically motivated to prove themselves not please someone at the boards.

Her blog indicates that Jenny has a people-pleasing personality. I'm sure some other skaters have/do as well. But I highly doubt all of them do.

vCash
    It would be interesting to get perspectives of other skaters (or in this case, coaches too). I think she's attempting to heal past wounds by so openly sharing these experiences with us, but I think her overall point would be made stronger if she sought input from other skaters who had similar experiences, felt the same way, or could chime in with their thoughts.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    She tends to project her experiences as being the universal experiences of all skaters. I can't see that every skater in history has been motivated so strongly by pleasing a coach. Champions like Kwan, Plush, Slutskaya, Chan, etc...seem to have been very intrinsically motivated to prove themselves not please someone at the boards.

Her blog indicates that Jenny has a people-pleasing personality. I'm sure some other skaters have/do as well. But I highly doubt all of them do.
    Her blog doesn't indicate that anyone other than herself was trying to please their coaches. When she talks about Kwan she talks about her battle with Perfection, a very different thing. If you recall, Kwan didn't have a coach at the time of her performance at 2002 Olympics.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Her blog doesn't indicate that anyone other than herself was trying to please their coaches. When she talks about Kwan she talks about her battle with Perfection, a very different thing. If you recall, Kwan didn't have a coach at the time of her performance at 2002 Olympics.
    She makes general statements like these:

Skaters want to please their coaches so badly.
    A skater is skating to win not only for him- or herself but always for their coach. Like the relationship so many of us have with our parents, skaters grow up with the innate desire to feel a coach’s love and respect.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Exactly. This is a general statement. She doesn't name names, just explains the dynamic that I would imagine is common.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think she hits the nail on the head with regards skater relationships with coaches. I have seen so many skaters stay with coaches out of loyalty and obligation rather than the skater truly benefitting out of what the coach is giving them. And sometimes these relationships can be quite disfunctional. It is not just about top level skaters but what I have seen at my local rink.

vCash
    Loved the article. I wish more former competitors felt comfortable discussing their careers--demons and all.

vCash
    Welcome back to blogging, Jenny!

vCash
    Interesting comment from Ricky Dornbush on her piece. He has a good point about learning to work for oneself instead of pleasing the coach. But some of us, I suspect, are the type who are always going to want to please the coach, or the teacher, or the boss. When you're built that way, it's hard to change. I can understand where Jenny was coming from and how devastating it must have been.

Also, remembering what a strong relationship Paul Wylie had with the Scotvolds, I wonder if Evy was just better at coaching male skaters than female ones?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Gee, was Paul put up on the scale and weighed like Nancy and Jennifer, or did Evy just do that to humiliate his female students into staying thin (and I'm being serious here, not sarcastic, I do wonder about that)?

That entry was presented very beautifully, and fairly, it was certainly not "Evy was a monster" and Jenny and angel. Again, very glad to have her back blogging. I also enjoyed former US competitor Eve Chalom's comments to this blog entry.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Gee, was Paul put up on the scale and weighed like Nancy and Jennifer, or did Evy just do that to humiliate his female students into staying thin (and I'm being serious here, not sarcastic, I do wonder about that)?
    That is a good question.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. If a coach is giving their skaters good experiences & not abusing them, then parents will not intervene & take the skater away from the coach. But I don't see the harm in making parents wary & watchful.

vCash
    It doesn't even make logical sense to refuse a skater to go on the ice if they aren't a certain weight. How are they going to lose any weight then? And I would like to know if Paul was weighted in too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    It doesn't even make logical sense to refuse a skater to go on the ice if they aren't a certain weight. How are they going to lose any weight then?
    How? By developing an eating disorder? Or by running for hours on the beach until they have blisters so painful that they have to use ice to numb them before they can wear their skates? Those are just two things that Jenny mentions in the article.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast