Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 US Nationals

Any idea when it will be announced? I do remember SJ 2012 was announced November 2009. Greensboro 2011 was announced 10 months earlier. Aside from Boston who has made their interest known anyone has an idea who are bidding?

Slightly OT Omaha 2013 still doesn't have a website. I remember Greensboro and SJ having their website up after they were announced as host.

vCash
    I believe there will more information re: 2013 nationals in Omaha after a USFS site visit this month (or early next month?)

vCash
    any updates re: 2014 nationals host?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Also wondering about 2012 Skate America as the bid package on the USFS website had projected an announcement date of... last week.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Also wondering about 2012 Skate America as the bid package on the USFS website had projected an announcement date of... last week.
    I don't think we've known where SKAM is going to be for the last several years until after this year's SKAM was over.

In fact, I am not even sure if the info was available by Nationals. I don't remember any info about SKAM or Ontario last year while we were in Greensboro. I do remember you could reserve tickets for Nationals in San Jose though.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    EYS, the location for the upcoming 2011 Skate America wasn't announced until March 2011.

On a related note, for all those interested in how event bidding and selection works, here's the USFS page for bid packages (including the PDF for 2012 Skate America):
    http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=324

vCash
    From a Skating Club of Boston 06/09/11 press release:

The Club is currently planning bids for additional national and international events with the TD Garden, including the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

http://www.scboston.org/press-releas...lston-brighton

vCash
    The Garden WOULD be fun O:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarenee View Post
    From a Skating Club of Boston 06/09/11 press release:

The Club is currently planning bids for additional national and international events with the TD Garden, including the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

http://www.scboston.org/press-releas...lston-brighton
    This would be great to have Nationals back in the NE US for the first time sine 2001!
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

Briber of judges
    vCash
    "International events" must mean an upcoming Skate America, as we aren't likely to have a Worlds in North America for several seasons (since Canada is hosting Worlds next year), maybe 2015 or 2016?

It's hard to see USFS switching gears and suddenly moving Nationals back to a large market, but perhaps they will consider it since there should be higher interest in the 2014 event due to the Olympic team selection?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzilla1 View Post
    This would be great to have Nationals back in the NE US for the first time sine 2001!
    Keeping all 20 fingers and toes crossed; possibly a few other unmentionables

vCash
    Boston is one of my favorite cities in the US.

I will rejoice if is held there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    "International events" must mean an upcoming Skate America, as we aren't likely to have a Worlds in North America for several seasons (since Canada is hosting Worlds next year), maybe 2015 or 2016?

It's hard to see USFS switching gears and suddenly moving Nationals back to a large market, but perhaps they will consider it since there should be higher interest in the 2014 event due to the Olympic team selection?
    I think it's not USFSA it's the markets. I think the "switch" to smaller markets was driven by the fact that the large markets refused to meet the demands..... USFSA would probably LOVE to be back in a large market. Just not sure the "demand" is there for the tickets.

Skate Amerrica is in Southern California which I consider a "large" market. Finally bought a ticket today... on row F or something.. .doesn't sound like it's selling like gangbusters.

Nationals this year are in San Jose and while it's not a big city, the geographic area you draw from is VERY densly populated... "large market" We will see how it does.

I loved Nationals at Boston and would GLADLY return!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think it's not USFSA it's the markets. I think the "switch" to smaller markets was driven by the fact that the large markets refused to meet the demands..... USFSA would probably LOVE to be back in a large market. Just not sure the "demand" is there for the tickets.
    Demand is why USFSA started going to smaller markets - they would rather be in a smaller arena they could sell out (or close), plus rental cost is cheaper. While SoCal is a big metro area, the arena for SA is smaller than the major arenas (i.e. Staples Center) and Ontario is quite a bit east of downtown L.A., which means cheaper hotel rates.

It will be interesting to see how Nats ticket sales go. San Jose is a larger market than recent Nats locations, and the ticket and hotel prices reflect that. Maybe if Nats does well this year, USFSA will be more open to large markets in the future.

I was at Nats in 2001 and thought Boston was a perfect place for the event, but skating fandom and economics were different then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Since the U.S. hasn't gone more than 6 years without hosting Worlds in about 70 years, it would seem that 2015 is the USA's next "turn" if they want it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Since the U.S. hasn't gone more than 6 years without hosting Worlds in about 70 years, it would seem that 2015 is the USA's next "turn" if they want it.
    Well, I think they think they "owe" Japan one so...I won't be surprised if the next world's awarded is to Japan since they had to give up 2011.

vCash
    I thought Japan was already awarded (or promised?) Worlds in 2014?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The French Fed attempted to volunteer Skate Canada to trade 2013 Worlds for 2014 Worlds, so that Japan would not have to host post-Olympic Worlds. I suspect Japan will be given the option for 2015, with the US possibly offered the 2014 spot.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    2014 worlds has been provisionally assigned to Japan with either Tokyo or Saitama as host.

vCash
    Skate America in Boston would be so very convenient. Fingers are crossed. Actually, anywhere on the east coast, even Reading would do
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast