Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency, no, there shouldn't be censorship of what is worn to prom. These are people who are weeks away from graduating & going off to college or jobs or marriage, IOW adult life. Why should adults tell other adults how to dress? The crazy outfits aren't hurting anyone. Well, our eyes, but we don't have to look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency, no, there shouldn't be censorship of what is worn to prom. These are people who are weeks away from graduating & going off to college or jobs or marriage, IOW adult life. Why should adults tell other adults how to dress? The crazy outfits aren't hurting anyone. Well, our eyes, but we don't have to look.
    The problem is that there is indecent exposure. Again...remember that they proceed to dance in these outfits. And they are not staidly waltzing. I have witnessed a nip slip or two at a prom. I have also seen bare asses and other goods that are not supposed to be seen in public.

Also...if you have not been told how to dress as an adult by other adults, you have perhaps been self-employed all your life?

ETA: I am not a prom groupie...I was a junior class sponsor for 15 out of 16 years as a high school teacher.
    Last edited by PDilemma; 04-27-2012 at 04:11 PM.

vCash
    Adults often tell other adults how to dress, everything from "No shoes, no shirt ... no service" signs at restaurants to "Formal attire" noted on invitations. Since the prom often is the first time kids are invited to a (comparatively) formal event, I see nothing wrong in teaching them what is (and is not) appropriate dress.

vCash
    New in mis-reading thread titles: I thought this was a discussion of codes for prom dresses.

vCash
    Because parents don't stop being parents even weeks from graduation especially if I'm paying for it and the school is hosting it. Adults are arrested for indecent exposure often, thank God it's a law.

vCash
    Well, here's one promgoer who got turned away even though her dress covered all the naughty bits. Can we say "let's push some buttons????"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1452411.html
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Well, here's one promgoer who got turned away even though her dress covered all the naughty bits. Can we say "let's push some buttons????"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1452411.html
    I would argue against that dress because it looks stupid.

Seriously, my nephew is in Alabama and at all of his numerous schools clothing with the confederate flag was banned.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    If they design and wear duct tape, they could win college scholarships... I love the duct tape prom gowns:

http://duckbrand.com/Promotions/stuck-at-prom.aspx

vCash
    I don't know why these girls can't learn that a little undersated number will look just fine and no one will be offended.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Adults often tell other adults how to dress, everything from "No shoes, no shirt ... no service" signs at restaurants to "Formal attire" noted on invitations. Since the prom often is the first time kids are invited to a (comparatively) formal event, I see nothing wrong in teaching them what is (and is not) appropriate dress.
    Teaching them is one thing. Censorship is another.

Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Because parents don't stop being parents even weeks from graduation especially if I'm paying for it and the school is hosting it. Adults are arrested for indecent exposure often, thank God it's a law.
    I qualified my post by saying Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency. A few of those outfits on the original post probably could get a citation for public indecency. I wasn't referring to the skimpy ones. But all the silly/quirky outfits are just kids having fun. Who cares if they aren't in formal wear? It's their prom.

vCash

I qualified my post by saying Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency. A few of those outfits on the original post probably could get a citation for public indecency. I wasn't referring to the skimpy ones. But all the silly/quirky outfits are just kids having fun. Who cares if they aren't in formal wear? It's their prom.
    My kid's prom (as well as my own over 20 years ago ) was a strict dress code of formal attire of dress pants and either a suit coat with or without a tie, tie can be bow or not, hats can be worn. ladies must be in a dress long or cocktail, school dress code applies.

It's not censorships, it's taking pride in ones appearance and understanding there is a thing called 'dressing for the appropriateness of the occasion'. It's the same as teaching your kids you don't show up wearing jeans or sneakers to a wedding or funeral unless your a child. It's not appropriate or polite.

The school an kids cared if formal wear wasn't worn, it was their prom not a barn dance. My kids have plenty of other dances (like homecoming) where they just were street clothes to have fun in. They even had a toga party.

vCash
    I don't know why these girls can't learn that a little undersated number will look just fine and no one will be offended.
    You have no idea how badly I want that dress.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    And you would look so awesome in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Me too...my daughter just rolled her eyes .....how dare she If she only saw the mess I wore, it was pretty bad even by 1990 standards.

And the hair

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Me too...my daughter just rolled her eyes .....how dare she If she only saw the mess I wore, it was pretty bad even by 1990 standards.

And the hair
    And I'm rolling my eyes with her. That dress is a hot mess
    I'll take ghetto over that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    If they design and wear duct tape, they could win college scholarships... I love the duct tape prom gowns:

http://duckbrand.com/Promotions/stuck-at-prom.aspx
    Darn, it's not applicable in Maryland. Otherwise I'd get my niece to start designing now for 2018. She requested duct tape for Christmas.

Banned Member
    vCash
    As long as it doesn't violate any local nudity ordinances, what's the big deal?

vCash
    Oh, boo hoo...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast