Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,120
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,648
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency, no, there shouldn't be censorship of what is worn to prom. These are people who are weeks away from graduating & going off to college or jobs or marriage, IOW adult life. Why should adults tell other adults how to dress? The crazy outfits aren't hurting anyone. Well, our eyes, but we don't have to look.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,749
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency, no, there shouldn't be censorship of what is worn to prom. These are people who are weeks away from graduating & going off to college or jobs or marriage, IOW adult life. Why should adults tell other adults how to dress? The crazy outfits aren't hurting anyone. Well, our eyes, but we don't have to look.
    The problem is that there is indecent exposure. Again...remember that they proceed to dance in these outfits. And they are not staidly waltzing. I have witnessed a nip slip or two at a prom. I have also seen bare asses and other goods that are not supposed to be seen in public.

    Also...if you have not been told how to dress as an adult by other adults, you have perhaps been self-employed all your life?

    ETA: I am not a prom groupie...I was a junior class sponsor for 15 out of 16 years as a high school teacher.
    Last edited by PDilemma; 04-27-2012 at 04:11 PM.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4361
    Adults often tell other adults how to dress, everything from "No shoes, no shirt ... no service" signs at restaurants to "Formal attire" noted on invitations. Since the prom often is the first time kids are invited to a (comparatively) formal event, I see nothing wrong in teaching them what is (and is not) appropriate dress.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    New in mis-reading thread titles: I thought this was a discussion of codes for prom dresses.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency, no, there shouldn't be censorship of what is worn to prom. These are people who are weeks away from graduating & going off to college or jobs or marriage, IOW adult life. Why should adults tell other adults how to dress? The crazy outfits aren't hurting anyone. Well, our eyes, but we don't have to look.
    Because parents don't stop being parents even weeks from graduation especially if I'm paying for it and the school is hosting it. Adults are arrested for indecent exposure often, thank God it's a law.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,235
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11466
    Well, here's one promgoer who got turned away even though her dress covered all the naughty bits. Can we say "let's push some buttons????"

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1452411.html
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,749
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Well, here's one promgoer who got turned away even though her dress covered all the naughty bits. Can we say "let's push some buttons????"

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1452411.html
    I would argue against that dress because it looks stupid.

    Seriously, my nephew is in Alabama and at all of his numerous schools clothing with the confederate flag was banned.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    Posts
    1,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2126
    If they design and wear duct tape, they could win college scholarships... I love the duct tape prom gowns:

    http://duckbrand.com/Promotions/stuck-at-prom.aspx

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't know why these girls can't learn that a little undersated number will look just fine and no one will be offended.

  11. #31
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,120
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,648
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Adults often tell other adults how to dress, everything from "No shoes, no shirt ... no service" signs at restaurants to "Formal attire" noted on invitations. Since the prom often is the first time kids are invited to a (comparatively) formal event, I see nothing wrong in teaching them what is (and is not) appropriate dress.
    Teaching them is one thing. Censorship is another.

    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Because parents don't stop being parents even weeks from graduation especially if I'm paying for it and the school is hosting it. Adults are arrested for indecent exposure often, thank God it's a law.
    I qualified my post by saying Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency. A few of those outfits on the original post probably could get a citation for public indecency. I wasn't referring to the skimpy ones. But all the silly/quirky outfits are just kids having fun. Who cares if they aren't in formal wear? It's their prom.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Teaching them is one thing. Censorship is another.

    I qualified my post by saying Other than wearing attire that will get you arrested for public indecency. A few of those outfits on the original post probably could get a citation for public indecency. I wasn't referring to the skimpy ones. But all the silly/quirky outfits are just kids having fun. Who cares if they aren't in formal wear? It's their prom.
    My kid's prom (as well as my own over 20 years ago ) was a strict dress code of formal attire of dress pants and either a suit coat with or without a tie, tie can be bow or not, hats can be worn. ladies must be in a dress long or cocktail, school dress code applies.

    It's not censorships, it's taking pride in ones appearance and understanding there is a thing called 'dressing for the appropriateness of the occasion'. It's the same as teaching your kids you don't show up wearing jeans or sneakers to a wedding or funeral unless your a child. It's not appropriate or polite.

    The school an kids cared if formal wear wasn't worn, it was their prom not a barn dance. My kids have plenty of other dances (like homecoming) where they just were street clothes to have fun in. They even had a toga party.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,924
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    36500
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I don't know why these girls can't learn that a little undersated number will look just fine and no one will be offended.
    You have no idea how badly I want that dress.....

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,765
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You have no idea how badly I want that dress.....
    And you would look so awesome in it.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You have no idea how badly I want that dress.....
    Me too...my daughter just rolled her eyes .....how dare she If she only saw the mess I wore, it was pretty bad even by 1990 standards.

    And the hair

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    571
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Me too...my daughter just rolled her eyes .....how dare she If she only saw the mess I wore, it was pretty bad even by 1990 standards.

    And the hair
    And I'm rolling my eyes with her. That dress is a hot mess
    I'll take ghetto over that

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20970
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    If they design and wear duct tape, they could win college scholarships... I love the duct tape prom gowns:

    http://duckbrand.com/Promotions/stuck-at-prom.aspx
    Darn, it's not applicable in Maryland. Otherwise I'd get my niece to start designing now for 2018. She requested duct tape for Christmas.

  19. #39
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    As long as it doesn't violate any local nudity ordinances, what's the big deal?

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,540
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19192
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Teaching them is one thing. Censorship is another.
    Oh, boo hoo...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •