Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Yay! Band, orchestra and drum corps geeks!!! I was a band/orchestra/drum corps geek myself. Played keyboard, strings, woodwinds and brass in band and orchestra, and marched in drum corps for many years (finishing my career with the Garfield Cadets in '81 and '82). I was also a flag in the Skylarks back in '80 or '81 (the year of "In the Mood" for anyone who followed WGI in the "old days". Those were some of the best memories I have, and am so glad to have participated in all of it. The music background helps my skating, and nothing beats performing in front of thousands to give you the guts to compete in front of a handful of judges!

vCash
    Orchestra geek here!! Being in the orchestra was definitely the fondest memory and the highlight of my high school days. I played the violin first chair/concertmaster and ensemble environment is so much more enjoyable to me than playing solo. I love the after school practices and I spent so much time in the music wing of the school my non-music friends joked that I was in a cult and needed an intervention.

The biggest highlight was to play full symphony style (band + orchestra) in Orlando Disney World's Magic Music Day and competed in a music festival at Universal Studio Orlando and won first prize! Also in my senior year we went to the UK and played at the Centennial Harrogate Music Festival. The organizer sent us a special thank you letter because apparently we were the only school to feature a full strings ensemble that year.

I was a relatively shy kid back in high school and music was really an outlet for me to let loose and really a confidence boost during adolescence. Too bad I couldn't have the chance to continue playing after high school even casually due to really demanding curriculum at University but I'd say my music experience really was one of my happier days so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wouldacoulda View Post
    Yay! Band, orchestra and drum corps geeks!!! I was a band/orchestra/drum corps geek myself. Played keyboard, strings, woodwinds and brass in band and orchestra, and marched in drum corps for many years (finishing my career with the Garfield Cadets in '81 and '82). I was also a flag in the Skylarks back in '80 or '81 (the year of "In the Mood" for anyone who followed WGI in the "old days". Those were some of the best memories I have, and am so glad to have participated in all of it. The music background helps my skating, and nothing beats performing in front of thousands to give you the guts to compete in front of a handful of judges!
    Wow. Garfield and Skylarks! Both excellent organizations. I'm impressed.

I did a little research, and it looks like you must have been in '82 Skylarks. While I wasn't able to come up with a video or rep for '82, I did find a video from '81, and they did Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in the opener, and a patriotic theme throughout. If it helps your memory at all, '82 is also when Cavaliers won with West Side Story. Skylarks were 3rd that year, with Grenadiers in 2nd.

I thought you might have been part of the first Three-Peat in DCI history. But you just missed it. Garfield won the DCI title from '83 to 85. But you were definitly a part of the beginning of their rise to power within the DCI ranks. 7th in '81 and 3rd in '82. Before your time, they were never higher than 10th. After your time, they racked up 10 Championships, and were rarely below 4th the rest of the time. So you were part of the foundation that set the rest to come! Looks like you just missed out on the George Hopkins era too. My research indicates he took over as director in '84. Don't know if you'd consider that a good thing or not. He's definitly a controversial figure in the drum corps circles. But there's no denying what he's done for the Cadets organization.

I'd love to hear what other corps you've marched with.

ETA: crap. I just re-read your post and saw that you said '80 or '81 Skylarks. I guess I was assuming 81 or 82 since those were the years you listed for Garfield too. OK, more research to figure out what Skylarks did in '80. Back later....

vCash
    OK, I'm back...

First of all, thought you might like to see this photo from a 2010 reunion of the Skylarks.

http://www.wgi.org/news/10142010-Reu...-Skylarks.html

Maybe you're in that shot? Or, perhaps there are folks there you recognize. The write up says the '80 show was about Glamour Girls. Does that ring a bell? No mention of what the music was.

And here's a 1980 pic of Skylarks: http://colorguardhistoricalsociety.n...ntext=featured

Am I getting any closer?

As you may have surmised my now, I'm as much of a geek about researching historical facts in drum corps/winter guard as I am a geek about the activities themselves. LOL. A lot I can rely on memory, but I always research and try to back it up with facts from the 'Net. For instance, when I thought you might be part of the Three-peat. I knew The Cadet's (as they are now called, although they will always be Garfield to me) three-peat was in the early '80's, just wasn't sure when. And I really thought Hoppy had been there almost from the beginning, or at least the beginning of the rise to power. So I was almost sure you must have marched under him. Again, my research proved my memory a bit off. LOL.

Anyway, I'm sure I could go on forever. I guess I better relax and breathe and let someone else have the floor.

ETA: I finally found a video of 1980 Sklyarks. Unfortunately, you can't play it, you have to pay 5$ to download it. But maybe you'd like to have that for yourself.
    http://wgi.thefannetwork.org/store/d.../6245/skylarks
    Click on "View Repertoire" under 1980 and it looks like it confirms 1980 was In The Mood.
    Last edited by Flatfoote; 04-28-2012 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Well, since we're sharing pics...

Here's a few of me in both baton twirling and colorguard garb:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=1e6dd844e4

Here's a shot of the Mont Pleasant HS band (Schenectady, NY) that my brother marched with from 1980 to 1985. This is from the 1984-1985 school year, the last year that our school district had a competitive marching program. He's in the last row, all the way to the left:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

Flatfoote - I was impressed by that one girl who could do 3 spins under a throw (would've loved to see that!). I never did 3 spins underneath a throw, only one, but I always had to put at least 3 revolutions into the throw itself to give me enough time. And I can relate to throwing the rifle "away" from me in the process!

The opener for the MPHS (pic above) for two years (1982, 1983) was "Russian Meadowlands", and the rifle line would do the turnaround toss in a contagion ripple at the very end of the tune. THAT was always cool to see!

Chele615 - and I used to play the BC with braces on my teeth!

vCash
    Considering the stereotypes for the instruments - did you pick the instrument, or did the instrument pick you? - I am unsurprised by the vast number of people who play clarinet here

My bands did an excellent job at State Festival on Thursday. Concert Winds got a I, of course, and at their first States the Symphonic Band - the non-auditioned group - got a solid II. Yesterday I threw a pizza party, and then was officially done I got some nice presents and words though. I'm really going to miss those kids.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Considering the stereotypes for the instruments - did you pick the instrument, or did the instrument pick you? - I am unsurprised by the vast number of people who play clarinet here
    Kinda both. I had heard an old recording of my Aunt Elaine (my father's youngest sister) playing clarinet, back when she was a teenager (this would have been sometime in the early to mid-1960's). I thought it sounded cool, so I took it up in 5th grade, and my lessons were provided by the school district.

I played in the middle school band, and the high school band, and then quit at the end of 10th grade because my band teacher was an "acknowledged bitch" - seriously, NO ONE liked this woman. I dispised her, because she hadn't one single solitary clue about how to run a marching band program. One example: we used to do a quasi-field show for home football games (we'd stand in one place, play a song, move to a different formation BETWEEN songs, stop and then play another song). We HAD a perfectly good podium for the drum major to stand on, but she had the drum major stand on the fecking PLAYERS' BENCH instead. And speaking of drum major: the one time I tried out for it, it was me and another sophomore, and two seniors. She actually gave extra points to the two seniors JUST because they WERE seniors! Guess who got chosen in the end?

I can't remember why I picked up the bass clarinet, whether it was something my teacher suggested, or if it was my idea, but I switched back to regular in 9th grade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Kinda both. I had heard an old recording of my Aunt Elaine (my father's youngest sister) playing clarinet, back when she was a teenager (this would have been sometime in the early to mid-1960's). I thought it sounded cool, so I took it up in 5th grade, and my lessons were provided by the school district.

I played in the middle school band, and the high school band, and then quit at the end of 10th grade because my band teacher was an "acknowledged bitch" - seriously, NO ONE liked this woman. I dispised her, because she hadn't one single solitary clue about how to run a marching band program. One example: we used to do a quasi-field show for home football games (we'd stand in one place, play a song, move to a different formation BETWEEN songs, stop and then play another song). We HAD a perfectly good podium for the drum major to stand on, but she had the drum major stand on the fecking PLAYERS' BENCH instead. And speaking of drum major: the one time I tried out for it, it was me and another sophomore, and two seniors. She actually gave extra points to the two seniors JUST because they WERE seniors! Guess who got chosen in the end?

I can't remember why I picked up the bass clarinet, whether it was something my teacher suggested, or if it was my idea, but I switched back to regular in 9th grade.

In the orchestra, viola was kinda chosen for me by the family. We were in an independant band/orchestra group in Denver (Gold Sash Band). Older sis was on violin (concertmistress in fact). And next oldest sis was on cello. Mom had big dreams of the three of us touring around the community doing charity type appearances. Since we had a high voice and low voice represented, that left me to fill in the middle voice with viola.

I started off in Gold Sash in the beginning group, learning under the Suzuki method. That meant I had to start off on violin. Unfortunatley, we also were involved in drum corps. And while it never clashed with Gold Sash, the director didn't like sharing us. So, one season he actually changed the orchestra's rehearsal night to the same night as the corps' rehearsal night. When we told him of the clash (which he full well knew it did), he said he wasn't about to share us with the corps anymore, and we had to choose one or the other. I think, since we'd been a part of Gold Sash longer than drum corps, he thought we'd drop drum corps. Little did he know that, when backed into a corner like that, we don't take it lying down. We basically told him F-you, and dropped Gold Sash for drum corps.

I'm glad it worked out that way. I learned much more about music as a part of drum corps, than I did playing viola. I became aware of many of the classics cause of what my favorite corps played. I was never exposed to them in HS orchestra. Go figure! I really cherished my time in corps. I'm very grateful I was exposd to the activity. Of course, I also loved my time in orchestra. As it worked out, I was able to do both, until my Mom put the kibosh on any further participation in drum corps (another long story, sigh).

After leaving Gold Sash, I took one more year of violin in 4th grade, then switched to viola in 5th. But us sisters never did do the tour thing. LOL. Because of his arrogance, the Gold Sash director lost his concert mistress and first chair cello in one fell swoop. I wasn't as much of a loss since I was just a beginner. In fact, I never did learn to read music fluently, cause we were just starting to learn it in the Suzuki class when we quit. But I could pick up any tune once I heard it a few times. That's how I got through Jr/Sr high in orchestra. I knew enough of reading music to follow along, but I really learned most of our pieces by ear (hearing my orchestra mates play first). Sight reading was never exactly a strong point. But I could get through picking through a new piece if I had to. I suppose you could compare it to a student who can't read, or at least can read well enough to sound out each word slowly as they read each letter.
    Last edited by Flatfoote; 04-28-2012 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    Someone in my extended family had a clarinet. I really wanted to play the French Horn.

My older brother played the trombone, and by the time my sister was in band, he was done with it, so she got to play the trombone.

vCash
    I would say the instrument picked me. The initial introduction to band class was in 5th grade, and I had every intention of playing the flute going into it. But when it came time to put my name down and what instrument I wanted to play, out came "clarinet" and I didn't correct myself. It was meant to be. The orchestra teacher really tried to recruit me, too, because I have long, thin fingers which are apparently perfect for playing the violin. But as we were only allowed one extra music class in elementary school, I went with where my heart was, and that was band.

I did eventually end up playing clarinet in the middle school and high school orchestras though, so he did get me in the end.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Considering the stereotypes for the instruments - did you pick the instrument, or did the instrument pick you?
    It picked me -- we had a flute that had belonged to my grandmother, so it made sense for someone in the family to play it. The instrument I liked the most way back then, and still today, was the trumpet, but there was no way I could pick that because my older brother already played it. Plus I don't really have the right personality to be a trumpet player IYKWIM.

vCash
    OMG! You ARE good! In Garfield, I marched under Doc Santo in '81, and George took over in '82. As I am still connected to the corps through the alumni group, I get lots of correspondence from Hop. I'll just leave it at that!!! I didn't make the Skylarks reunion, but am still in touch with many of my friends from my marching days. I'm proud to have marched in the season prior to the Cadets three-peat, although I sure wouldn't have minded a world medal! Sadly, I aged out after '82. I still have dreams of running away to join them on tour!

vCash
    Skylarks - '80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNC View Post
    Band geek here! :-D I loved being in the band and for a short time was in a community orchestra as an adult, but time constraints and business travel worked against that. I would like to take it up again someday.

I play the flute, so of course there are always a number of people who want to hear me relate a "this one time at band camp story".
    Neat, I play the flute too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wouldacoulda View Post
    OMG! You ARE good! In Garfield, I marched under Doc Santo in '81, and George took over in '82. As I am still connected to the corps through the alumni group, I get lots of correspondence from Hop. I'll just leave it at that!!! I didn't make the Skylarks reunion, but am still in touch with many of my friends from my marching days. I'm proud to have marched in the season prior to the Cadets three-peat, although I sure wouldn't have minded a world medal! Sadly, I aged out after '82. I still have dreams of running away to join them on tour!
    You're so lucky to have been able to age out. I was out at 16. Mom hated my involvement in corps, stating I was "too dedicated." I think, quite honestly, it was cause it took me away from the family too much. I know her final straw was when our winter guard went to a MWCGC contest over Thanksgiving weekend, and I was on a bus instead of home with the family on Thanksgiving.

Ten years later, when I was 26 and my sis was 15, Mom pulled out all the stops to finance and support my sis marching with the Troopers. When I finally asked her why she was so supportive of sis, and....well, not for me, she said she just hated the Blue Knights organization, and would have let me march with the Troopers. I sure wish she'd have said something 10 years earlier, when I could have marched 5 years with the Troopers and aged out in the legendary '79 corps. That was the year Troopers were slotted in about 14th, but at DCI prelims, Jim Jones lit a fire under them and they did a performance of a lifetime, and squeaked into Finals. There's a judges tape out there of a judge (can't remember what caption) who is left so speechless by the performance, all he can utter throughout is variations of "wow."

In an alternate Sliders type universe, I did march those last 5 years with the Troopers, got to don the uniform of the legendary "Black Bitches" color guard (rifle line of course), and became a member of the Long Blue Line. sigh. In this reality, I totally relate to your username.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12