Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Dial Idol has Hollie in first place! Who would have thunk. I think we may be surprised at what happens with Jessica in the next week or so. There is something a little "off" with how she connects with the audience IMO.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Jessica is a brilliant vocalist, but she's just too young at this point. 2 years would make a huge difference at her age. I wish she'd waited till 18 - I don't think this show is going anywhere - it has at least 2 seasons left in it.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    jessica should not have been saved. i would love to see jessica or joshua go home this week. too bad it can't be both. both are one note ponies. and that note finished long ago.
    I wouldn't go that far (as far as Jess' save)..but yeah keep hatin'..

I dont want anybody to leave tonight. I'm enjoying everybody at this point.

Josh needs to tone down the schreeching. I'm guessing he's going home tonight.

Skylar is enjoying herself out there and it shows. She can't sing any bad note at this point. I'm not big on country but she's making me listen..

Hollie's just coming out of her shell so I'll be sad if she goes...

P2 is like a novelty to me. He reminds of Gordon Mathew Sumner or STING when he's in his element. He'll be very marketable just like Skylar.

Elise is such a season performer but looks like she should be in The Voice finale instead of AI. I still can't bring myself to vote for her.

Jessica, such huge talent but holding back and she is being outgunned by the rests because of poor song choices. I think we havent seen the best of her.

vCash
    I would like Joshua a whole lot more if the judges could somehow hold on to their seats. I thought he was good last night - but not better then many of the others. I guess they did give Hollie a standing O - but then Jennifer went on with a whole lot of self-congratulatory nonsense about how Hollie has somehow caught Jennifer's vision for her. Actually, I have always liked Jennifer Lopez - until now - and she is driving me crazy. I have no idea who is going home - but I thought Elise was terrific and I didn't get the negative against her second song at all. "Pick something different - stand out - don't pick something different" but she always has that lovely tone in her voice whatever she sings. JMHO.
    pug lover

vCash
    I think one of the girls will be leaving the show tonight.

vCash
    Joshua's performances are so OTT.
    Like many "church singers" he doesn't know/understand the value of restraint.
    The equally OTT - and mostly unwarranted - praise from the judges doesn't help either.

Jessica is a brilliant vocalist, but she's just too young at this point. 2 years would make a huge difference at her age. I wish she'd waited till 18.
    Agreed.

She has amazing potential.
    However, I think she needs plenty of work to reach it
    The mentors/coaches have not done her any favors with the material/advice they have given her; and she doesn't have enough experience to realize that.

I also believe that Elise would have been better served on "The Voice".

No idea who will go home.
    I'd say Elise; however, I've been wrong too many times.

vCash
    No idea who will go home.
    I'd say Elise; however, I've been wrong too many times

Hopefully, you'll be wrong this time.

I think I am hoping for Jessica or Joshua. Jessica does have amazing potential, but I just haven't been able to connect to her or her song choices. They just don't ring true with her.

vCash
    I didn't say I wanted her to go.
    I wonder how much she inspires the youngsters who control the vote, though,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I didn't say I wanted her to go.
    I wonder how much she inspires the youngsters who control the vote, though,
    Oh, I didn't think that you wanted her to go. I wonder the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Yeah but they said he's leaving soon for Singapore. Which would indicate that he's been home for a while.
    Still, she's in L.A. full time for Idol and studies. We haven't seen her dad in the audience (always her mom) so who knows what the situation at home is like. Point being, seems to odd to criticize a 16 year old girl for saying she misses her dad.

jessica should not have been saved. i would love to see jessica or joshua go home this week. too bad it can't be both. both are one note ponies. and that note finished long ago.
    Joshua I can see how people think of as one note (I disagree, but that's besides the point), but I really don't see how Jessica has been one-note. And not listing P2 or Hollie as being one note? I'd say only Elise has kicked butt in terms of song choice and performance variety.

Quote Originally Posted by birdgal View Post
    Jessica does have amazing potential, but I just haven't been able to connect to her or her song choices. They just don't ring true with her.
    I still don't understand why Jessica keeps being singled out for song choice-appropriateness e.g. has Skylar lived enough to channel the emotion of Mercury's Show Must Go On? Nope. I think "connection" is just one of those vague critiques people use contestants they aren't fans of, which is understandable. For me, Jessica has totally "connected" on songs like "Dance with My Father," "Everybody Has A Dream," etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Joshua's performances are so OTT.
    Like many "church singers" he doesn't know/understand the value of restraint.
    The equally OTT - and mostly unwarranted - praise from the judges doesn't help either.
    I like it. That's the kind of singer he is. Asking him to not "go to church" is like asking P2 to sing more than three notes in a given performance. His fanbase, and what I'm assuming will be his market audience post-Idol, eat it up. It's not surprising to me that Joshua and Jessica are easily the most popular contestants with the urban crowd. Unfortunately, for them, that viewing audience is probably least prone to voting or power-voting.

Anyway, essay over.

I really, really hope P2 leaves in a shock boot. Not holding my breath, though.

vCash
    I don't mind "church"/gospel singing at all.
    However, he doesn't seem able to do other styles with any degree of comfort.

Phillip seems more successful at adapting to other types of material, while remaining "true to himself".

vCash
    Jessica sings ballads and ballads. She hasn't expanded herself and yes, it is the producers who don't direct her to the diversity. She would have been better served to have waited a couple of years and give her voice time to mature. If she wins, I suspect she will have a career sort of like Jordan Sparks - not fantastic, not buried, but not so successful in the first years. After that, who knows. The Mariah, Celine days have gone by, which is kinda the genre that Jessica follows - certainly not that good, but ok...If she doesn't have a breakout album, the producers would cut their losses and not invest too much in her and hope for the next winner to be better.

Joshua screeches and makes faces like he is constipated. He often misses the notes and to some extent the music rhythm. I don't think he has been choosing songs that might showcase him better. I guess he reminds me of a Danny Gorky. He might be successful in Christian and Gospel music

Skylar seems to be enjoying the experience, knows who she is (doesn't take the country out of her voice) makes better song choices and has stage presence. She reminds me of Carrie Underwood. I don't think she will have the success of a Carrie - more likely Kellie Pickler. Somewhat successful - could be more successful depending upon what the producers are willing to invest.

P2 has been doing the quirky Scotty McCreary faces/dance moves. Having a P2 being a SM2 is not good marketing sense. And to some extent reminds me of Taylor Hicks - if he wins will probably have as much success as Taylor.

Hollie just doesn't have the stage presence or large voice needed to sell as an AI. She is a pleasant enough singer but does not have the it factor. She is someone that one forgets about. I think that she might be a one hit wonder and the producers would not invest a lot in her career.

Elise has an amazing voice and makes good choices. The producers did showcase her quite a bit with the opening number. Either that or she just knows her strengths. I could she her as having a good career - but the producers would have a difficult curtailing her and have her follow their guidance, She'll be stuck in a contract for too many years should she win and have to fight to get to the point that she would be released from their hold.

Elise should win, but it is a popularity contest. I suspect that Skylar or perhaps Jessica will win.

vCash
    Jessica sings ballads and ballads. She hasn't expanded herself and yes, it is the producers who don't direct her to the diversity. She would have been better served to have waited a couple of years and give her voice time to mature. If she wins, I suspect she will have a career sort of like Jordan Sparks - not fantastic, not buried, but not so successful in the first years. After that, who knows. The Mariah, Celine days have gone by, which is kinda the genre that Jessica follows - certainly not that good, but ok...If she doesn't have a breakout album, the producers would cut their losses and not invest too much in her and hope for the next winner to be better.
    I see Jessica more in the Beyonce/Jennifer Hudson realm as opposed to Mariah/Celine (who, BTW, I don't think are anything alike musically besides having big voices).

And I disagree that she's done ballad after ballads. That's Hollie. If you look at her performance breakdown, Jessica has been pretty balanced with regards to ballads and mid/uptempos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixflamezzz View Post
    I see Jessica more in the Beyonce/Jennifer Hudson realm as opposed to Mariah/Celine (who, BTW, I don't think are anything alike musically besides having big voices).

And I disagree that she's done ballad after ballads. That's Hollie. If you look at her performance breakdown, Jessica has been pretty balanced with regards to ballads and mid/uptempos.
    You're right, Jessica hasn't done just ballads. It just seems like it.

vCash
    I wouldn't know, I mostly fast forward through Jessica

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I always thought Jessica sounded EXACTLY like Jennifer Hudson (its uncanny, really) just with better technical skills. Joshua is a carbon copy of Fantasia. Idol is officially old enough to have contestants mimicking past contestants, lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    jess and elise called. jimmy says queen song was a mistake but 2nd song was great for jess.

says elise picked wrong queen song and was nightclub. hendrix was even worse choice.

jess safe. elise bottom 3.

vCash
    josh and hollie up. jimmy sez very good job on queen except end. b+ good on miles song but maybe not enough to be saved. josh great on queen. good interpretation and crossover ability. great on other song too. jimmy thinks he should stay. josh safe. hollie bottom 3.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Dial Idol shows Hollie being safe but not out of the bottom 3 with their margin of error. Curious to see if they will completely miss on this one.

I was SO HAPPY that I watched while making dinner because they had on Marc Martel. I started a thread on him a few months back because he was SO GOOD. I am so happy for him and hope this starts something great for his career which I think is already doing pretty well in the Christian market. If he wants to break out into something more mainstream (come on Queen, he should be your frontman, not Lambert -- as much as I love Adam!) this could be the jumpstart he needs.

Oh yay, the thinnest voice in Pop music...Katy Perry. I love her songs but her live singing is cringe worthy. A huge mega superstar that would never make it past the Idol auditions based on her voice alone. Having her on the show is like sending a huge message to these contestants that their voice means NOTHING to their future success. Wow, she sounds really winded and worse than normal, that's quite the feat.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Apparently Jimmy watched a different show than I did.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast