Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't understand the coaching situation - is his old coach still his coach when he is at school in Japan? Or does he train on his own then?
    Is Orser his primary coach or an additional coach when he is in Canada?

this commute.

vCash
    Just one thing to say. TOO MANY TOP-RANKING SKATERS IN ORSER'S CAMP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I don't understand the coaching situation - is his old coach still his coach when he is at school in Japan? Or does he train on his own then?
    Is Orser his primary coach or an additional coach when he is in Canada?
    Reportedly Hanyu ended the coaching relationship with Nanami Abe peacefully. He basically lives in Sendai and travels to Toronto occasionally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    How are people still making this kind of comments after WTT?
    WTT is a so-called cheesefest sponsored by Japan money. We can't make any serious conclusion out of this. Takahashi also has received incredible scores at NHK trophy (90+ for the quad-less SP). In a sense, it's similar to Skate Canada.
    Last edited by NMURA; 04-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    As for Hanyu, I just don't see what Orser can give him that he doesn't already have.
    ^ This. If Hanyu had to be sent anywhere, I'd have rather seen him go to someone like Frank Carroll or John Nicks.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Maybe he's overly masterful cause Cynthia Phaneuf's jumps are not looking too great these days. Perhaps his masterfullness is so off the charts that other skaters cant really comprehend?
    Maybe, just maybe some skaters are hopeless cases, who ever the coach might be, LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Reportedly Hanyu ended the coaching relationship with Nanami Abe peacefully. He basically lives in Sendai and travels to Toronto occasionally.
    Thanks.

So that means that he trains on his own while in Japan? (sorry to be dense if that has been said already ) This really worries me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Just one thing to say. TOO MANY TOP-RANKING SKATERS IN ORSER'S CAMP.

Yes, Orser may be spreading himself too thin to be of maximum benefit to any of them.

vCash
    How many top-ranked skaters does Orser actually have?
    I know Javi, Elene G., Cynthia Phaneuf, and now Yuzuru. Did I miss anyone? Honest question.
    How many skaters does Morozov have?
    Also, remember that it's a team effort in Orser's camp. It's not just him taking care of his "flock." There's Tracy Wilson, David Wilson, other technical coaches,etc.
    I'll give him a chance before I declare he's taking too much on.

vCash
    How long does Hanyu have left of high school. It may be that he will travel their frequently for a little while and then move down their when high school is over. Plus isn't their ice issues in Japan. This coaching change may mean that important times, he'll get more ice team. Which isn't a little thing. His old coach might not be able to uproot her life for one student, but it might be in his best interest to have another place to train.

Not to mention I think everyone can benefit at times from new inputs. His former coach did an AMAZING job but is she really the one to fix the posture, she's had a LONG time to work on it with him.
    Last edited by bek; 04-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    How many top-ranked skaters does Orser actually have?
    I know Javi, Elene G., Cynthia Phaneuf, and now Yuzuru. Did I miss anyone? Honest question.
    How many skaters does Morozov have?
    Also, remember that it's a team effort in Orser's camp. It's not just him taking care of his "flock." There's Tracy Wilson, David Wilson, other technical coaches,etc.
    I'll give him a chance before I declare he's taking too much on.
    you said what I want to say.
    Orser didn't have too many students now,especially top ones.it's not a big problem.
    then Yuzuru may skate David Wilson's program?can't wait

vCash
    In reading the announcement about Phaneuf going to Orser the thing that struck me was that Brian mentioned not changing too much at all about her skating just working on confidence. When you think about Yu Na's bent leg on her layback and that they never fixed it, it seems like a glaring error to us but clearly to Brian it's not. I am sure that if it were costing her they would change it.

My point is that there are some things that we as internet coaches would repair that clearly do not effect the skater overall so the coach wont fix. It must make perfect sense to them. I
    I think that most of us want to see happen other skaters when they switch; the drastic metamorphasis that is that happened to Michelle when she went to Lori or Yagudin/Kulik when they went to Tarasova or even Angela Nikodinov when she went to Elena. It doesnt always work that way...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Yes, Orser may be spreading himself too thin to be of maximum benefit to any of them.
    He may NOT though if he does not have a lot of beginner skaters. Tarasova used to coach multiple singles skaters and dance teams at the same time. Igor and Marina do it... Lets not presume to know it all...

vCash
    Who will Hanyu train with in Japan then if not Abe?

vCash
    Who will Hanyu train with in Japan then if not Abe?
    Since I don't read Japanese, I couldn't tell what the article actually said. Does it specifically say that he is leaving Abe? If not, he may be adding Orser and still working with Abe when in Japan.

vCash
    Maybe he's overly masterful cause Cynthia Phaneuf's jumps are not looking too great these days. Perhaps his masterfullness is so off the charts that other skaters cant really comprehend?
    Cynthia's jumping technique and basic skating is already excellent. (except for the flip). Her problem is in her head and there's no guarantee that he or anyone can fix that. Head cases are really hard to turn around, especially late in their careers.

Someone complained earlier about Orser's inability to fix Rippon's 3A. Keep in mind we only know parts of the story so be careful about the conclusions you draw. Rumor had it that Rippon didn't follow Orser's plan to improve his jumps which included more off ice work. It takes two -- both teacher and student -- to create success.

In general though I love all the moves. To me this is a big picture signal that skaters are really game to develop and grow. As a result they take all they can from a coach and then when they sense a plateau of any kind they search for additional instruction from others. Risky to do, but can lead to a faster trajectory of growth for the skaters. Love it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yuna Kim wasn't a convincing job of coaching?
    I know... Orser hasn't shown YET that he can be a Mishin/Carroll and develop a skater from the ground up, but it takes years to develop a skater like that.. And so give him time. But he has shown that he can take a skater with the technical skills, improve their skating in all aspects, and also manage their injuries/make sure they peak at the right time. Which is good for Hanyu.

There were a lot of coaches not just Orser that couldn't help Rippon with that triple axel, and I actually think Gao improved a lot under Orser from what I can see. There are tons of reports that Fernandez does not have the greatest work ethic, which ISN'T Orser's fault.

With Hanyu Orser may have his male version of Kim talent wise, heck Hanyu may even be more talented, and so far it seems to me given how much he's improved that the work ethic is there.
    Last edited by bek; 04-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    He may NOT though if he does not have a lot of beginner skaters. Tarasova used to coach multiple singles skaters and dance teams at the same time. Igor and Marina do it... Lets not presume to know it all...
    Yes, mammy!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Thanks.

So that means that he trains on his own while in Japan? (sorry to be dense if that has been said already ) This really worries me.
    Worried too. Why does it sound like Mao's arrangement with Tat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QB View Post
    I had to smile at you young'uns who weren't around when every promising/almost champion skater 'had' to go to Carlo Fassi to finally reach the pinnacle.
    Oh, how I wish I could say I was that young or that I didn't take from the late Carlo Fassi, so yeah.......

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast