Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Yuzuru Hanyu to be coached by Brian Orser

Splitting this news off from the Japanese skating thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by chika3 View Post
    Yuzuru Hanyu change to Brian Orser !!

http://jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2012042500765
    Via Google Translate:
    "Hanyu had received guidance to the coach and Nanami Abe so far. That describes the reason for the change that the coach is "a challenge out overseas, want to raise the level more..."
    Another Japanese news article: http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...do_sp-spo.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hasn't he always been training in Japan? This sounds like a huge change. He and Fernandez are going to have a ball with those quads.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsartemis View Post
    He'll still go to school in Sendai, so I hope he won't wear himself out traveling back and forth to Toronto.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    He seemed to have a good relationhip with Nanami Abe, but I can also see how training alongisde other top skaters could be a good motivational tool. Orser would be great when it comes to polishing him off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8MNx9QmR8A#t=10m45s.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Sylvia!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    He seemed to have a good relationhip with Nanami Abe, but I can also see how training alongisde other top skaters could be a good motivational tool. Orser would be great when it comes to polishing him off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8MNx9QmR8A#t=10m45s.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Sylvia!

I can't help but feel that his now-former coach Nanami Abe is probably feeling devastated right now. Especially when she said she hopes to "have a good time from now on" with him(or something like that) from the YouTube video(thanks for that, btw)
    I feel sad for her.

vCash
    as a Yuna uber, i hoped that the thread title was a remake of the April's fool oh well, good luck to prince Yuzu and let's hope the new coaching situation works well for him.

vCash
    What is this trend of leaving a coach as a skater reaches a pinnacle? In most jobs, if you produce quality, you get a raise - not fired!

This team always seemed to get along so well-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    What is this trend of leaving a coach as a skater reaches a pinnacle? In most jobs, if you produce quality, you get a raise - not fired!

This team always seemed to get along so well-
    I had to smile at you young'uns who weren't around when every promising/almost champion skater 'had' to go to Carlo Fassi to finally reach the pinnacle.

vCash
    This is very surprising. He has had a lot of succes with his coach. Is ice time an issue or something?

vCash
    a little shocking..

vCash
    I'm shocked. He had such a wondeful season and such a close relationship with his coach.

Quadless
    vCash
    Seriously? Orser? I am in 10,000 depressions over the thought of Hanyu sporting high-waisted pants and suspenders next year.

I thought Naname Abe was doing an outstanding job with him, so I'm pretty stunned by this news. Well, I hope at the very least that he will continue to collaborate with his prior choreographers but realistically we're probably now going to get boring programs.

Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    as a Yuna uber, i hoped that the thread title was a remake of the April's fool
    WTF? What in the world does this have to do with the topic at hand?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    WTF? What in the world does this have to do with the topic at hand?
    and who are you to approach me in such a manner?

vCash
    and who are you to approach me in such a manner?
    Don't get offended. You did bring up something definitely out of context.

vCash
    as a Yuna uber, i hoped that the thread title was a remake of the April's fool oh well, good luck to prince Yuzu and let's hope the new coaching situation works well for him.
    Do you mean that for Yuna uber, Brian Orser is eville by default? Love it.

vCash
    I'm not sure I am happy about this move. I love Hanyu just the way he is. He really doesn't need to have his edges smoothed, he just needs to mature.

Much as I have always loved Brian O, his skaters have not made as much progress this year as I had expected.

Never in a million years would I have thought to say this, but IMHO, Hanyu may regret this move. OMG, I can't believe I said that.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think this is good. And really hope Brian pays attention to his posture. I am ready to be a fan but I just can't take the hunched back. Dick Button would understand.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm not sure what to think about this yet
    I have always thought Yuzuru had a special bond with his coach Naname

what happened to them ?
    and Orser has Fernadez already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Seriously? Orser? I am in 10,000 depressions over the thought of Hanyu sporting high-waisted pants and suspenders next year.
    But the good news is maybe we'll get less WeirImitation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I think this is good. And really hope Brian pays attention to his posture. I am ready to be a fan but I just can't take the hunched back. Dick Button would understand.
    Yes! I noticed the hunched back as well, and I'm not a stickler for that kind of thing.

Don't a lot of Japanese skaters train in Toronto in the summer? Elite coaching nowadays seems to be a team effort. It may not be Orser per se that he is moving for, but the whole package (David Wilson, Tracy Wilson, Briand, off-ice training, ice time, etc.).

I'm also always hearing the it is difficult to get ice time in Japan. Maybe after all of the devastation from the earthquake/Tsunami it has gotten worse.

vCash
    I don't think there was any issue between Yuzu and Mrs. Abe. Almost all Japanese skaters go train abroad at one point in their careers. The JSF encourages their top skaters to do so, and I believe the JSF arranges those moves as well. I remember reading Mrs. Nagamitsu said in one of her interviews that the JSF had told her and Daisuke to go work with Tarasova in Russia, so they did.

I think it'll be a great experience for Yuzu to be in a different environment especially when he is still very young. He'll have to learn to communicate in English, and that'll help him if he wants to be a World top skater.

vCash
    Is it the best decision for him?
    He seemed to have a great relationship with Nanami Abe.

Well... I don't know.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast