Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    So much ignorance? From ONE guy? Who is proud of his country...that he serves?
    At the risk of straying even further off topic ...

I agree that quoting one guy as proof of "so much ignorance" is perhaps not the best debating strategy. But I can see how that kind of jingoism rankles -- it certainly does with me. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country, and I would hope that everyone can find something about their own country to be proud. But there's a world (!) of difference between "I'm proud of my country" and "we're number 1 and everywhere else sucks so bad they want to move here." (paraphrasing, of course) It simply isn't necessary, and it diminishes the argument.

vCash
    I have not checked back at this thread until now, and while I do not have a direct quote, that was pretty close. I suppose "ignorance" is not quite the best word to describe what he said.

vCash
    I'm glad you have the illegal immigrant problem in AZ taken care of, I'll let our Governor know
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I agree that quoting one guy as proof of "so much ignorance" is perhaps not the best debating strategy.....There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country, and I would hope that everyone can find something about their own country to be proud.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I'll let you read this as to how bad the illegal immigrant problem really is since you seem to be blissfully unaware.

OR here is the Cliff's Notes:

"Arizona bears the brunt of the problems caused by illegal immigration. It is the gateway for nearly half of the nation's illegal border crossings," said state officials. "Beyond the obvious safety issues, the fiscal burdens imposed by the disproportionate impact of illegal immigration on Arizona are daunting. Arizona spends several hundred million dollars each year incarcerating criminal aliens and providing education and health care to aliens who entered and reside in the country in violation of federal law."

vCash
    Going back to school lunches...

There is no government breakfast or lunch program in schools in our community. The Parent association organizes meals three days a week, and next year we'll go up to five. So far we have sushi (or rice bowls) on Tuesdays, a hot meal program called Magic Lunch Box on Wednesdays, and wraps and smoothies from Booster Juice on Thursdays. I volunteer at the lunches, and if there are kids who are absent that day, volunteers get free lunch out of it. Sushi days are my favourites.
    With glowing hearts / Des plus brillants exploits.

vCash
    So you are from Belgium?
    Nope, only lived there for a few years. I'm from the US.

vCash
    I doubt you do as well.
    Which is why I don't present hearing or not hearing about something from people as an argument in a discussion.

The world does not revolve around me, people that I know are not a representative sample for anything and definitely not for immigration.

So yes, there are plenty of people who do want to emigrate to Europe even if you don't hear much about it from your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    The links I gave show that people do want to come to the US in greater numbers than elsewhere (with my respect given to the confusion pointed out by topaz ).
    If you look at the total number of immigrants, then yes definitely and by far too, but then US is one of the largest countries in the world.

When you look at percentage of the population, then this is definitely not the case.

There are many European countries with a much higher percentage of foreign born residents:

Luxembourg 37.42%
    Liechtenstein 35.31%
    Switzerland 22.89%
    Latvia 19.46%
    Estonia 15.19%
    Austria 14.9%
    Ukraine 14.7%
    Croatia 14.52%
    Cyprus 13.89%
    Ireland 13.81%
    Moldova 12.96%
    US 12.81%
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-02-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12