Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Fandom for me is based more on how a skater moves me than how a skater impresses me.

If fandom was only for the skating, I'd go for other skaters than I actually do admire. In fact, to make me a fan, I must feel something special. Their skating must be interesting (rather than clean), exciting to look at (rather than love-story-ish), their appearances must be attention-drawing (rather than purely pretty). Plus, I go for those who struggle rather than for the all time winners. I try to read and watch as many interviews as possible and when a skater is honest and nice, I like them.

On the other hand, some of the greatest of the great - Torvill/Dean, Plushenko most of all - will always have my respect for their outstanding achievement in skating, but I've never been a real fan because I don't like their personalities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    I need the following factors to be a fan:

1) the skating must move me, even if some of the movements are not perfect;

2) warm personality on and off ice. I can appreciate a skater with great skills but will never be a fan if something he/she does off-ice is not acceptable based on my own standard;
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    Fandom for me is based more on how a skater moves me than how a skater impresses me.

If fandom was only for the skating, I'd go for other skaters than I actually do admire. In fact, to make me a fan, I must feel something special. Their skating must be interesting (rather than clean), exciting to look at (rather than love-story-ish), their appearances must be attention-drawing (rather than purely pretty). Plus, I go for those who struggle rather than for the all time winners. I try to read and watch as many interviews as possible and when a skater is honest and nice, I like them.

On the other hand, some of the greatest of the great will always have my respect for their outstanding achievement in skating, but I've never been a real fan because I don't like their personalities.
    These criteria basically sum it up for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345