Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    There are several examples in the past of countries that qualify to send someone to the Olympics but choose not to do so because they don't have skaters that are up to a certain standard. They send no one instead. One case that comes to my mind is Lucinda Ruh. She said that at one olympics Switzerland had a spot and she was the best skater representing Switzerland at the time but the Swiss Federation chose to send no one instead. So if Japan didn't think their pairs team was at a high enough level, even if they had a spot, they might choose to send no one. This kind of thing happens.
    In a 2002 interview in Golden Skate, Lucinda Ruh said she was not sent to the Olympics for "political reasons" though, of course, she was instrumental in getting a spot for Switzerland. If she was good enough to send to Worlds to represent them a number of times, why wouldn't she have been good enough to represent them at the OLympics? After all, at Worlds (the one immediately after the Olympics sometimes an exception), a skater competes essentially against the same skaters as at the Olympics. I know I am in a very small minority here, but I give no more value to an OGM than I do to a World's , since, as I said above, the skater competes essentially against the same skaters, especially Worlds preceding the Olympics .

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Those devious Swiss politics!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Golden Skate article (May 6. 2012): Takahashi and Tran prepare for next season with new confidence
    As Kyodo News reported recently, the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in Japan decided to support Tran’s citizenship case so that he could compete in Sochi.
    The skaters realize that this matter is out of their hands.

“We do really want to enter,” said Takahashi. “That was our goal from the start and it has not changed, but when we think about it, it becomes too complicated. It is something that no matter how much you think about, you can’t help. So I guess what we’ll do is to practice hard and to try to improve as much as possible.”

Tran agreed. “Everyone likes to go to the Olympics. Our situation is complicated, but we hope to go.”

The team wants to focus on the sport knowing that the politicians and the Japanese Skating Federation will do their best to help.

In the meantime, the season is barely over and Takahashi and Tran have already begun preparations for the next one. Immediately after the World Team Trophy, they worked with choreographer Julie Marcotte on their new long program in Japan.

“We’ll tune it during the off-season,” said Tran. “We actually have most of the short done, too. It is pretty early, but it helps to know everything. We spend most of the off-season fine-tuning instead of making it up and then getting it ready really quick before the first summer competition.”

Tran is staying mum on the music choices for next season, however, he describes the short program as “down to earth-ish” and the long program as “theatrical.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It sounds like Marvin will receive the Japanese citizenship just in time for the Sochi. Good for him, and good for the Japanese government and the federation's decision to support Tran.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    If she was good enough to send to Worlds to represent them a number of times, why wouldn't she have been good enough to represent them at the OLympics? After all, at Worlds (the one immediately after the Olympics sometimes an exception), a skater competes essentially against the same skaters as at the Olympics.
    Selecting a skater for Worlds/Europeans is up to every Skating Federation. Olympic teams, OTOH, are based on National Olympic Committee criteria. A lot of times Olympic selection requires skaters to meet certain requirements (i.e. top 8 at Europeans) in order to be sent to the Olympics. The argument is that some countries don't want to send subpar athletes to the Olympics 'just' for the experience. Whether or not you agree with that approach is a different story -and a lot of times National Skating Federations don't agree with that, either but don't have much say in the matter.

vCash
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...do_sp-spo.html

New Japanese article about this - the Ministry of Justice said, "it's difficult to consider Tran's case as an exception." Seiko Hashimoto has asked the Diet for a decision by the end of the year.

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...do_sp-spo.html

New Japanese article about this - the Ministry of Justice said, "it's difficult to consider Tran's case as an exception." Seiko Hashimoto has asked the Diet for a decision by the end of the year.
    http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...sp009000c.html

I guess this might be the same release in English.

vCash
    That's a pretty stupid excuse. There's no precedent simply because no one wanted Japanese citizenship in an exceptional way and no Diet member has made such a move. This time, at least the bipartisan group of sports related Diet members is supporting Tran's naturalization. They can propose and deliberate the agenda without agreements from the bureaucrats.

vCash
    I don't think it's right that Tran get special treatment just because he can perhaps get Japan a medal in Sochi. He doesn't even speak the language or live there. In contrast Tanith Belbin had to go through all the steps to become a US citiizen. Yes she got help from Pres. Bush but she had been living in the US for almost 8 years and when she finally became a citizen. And this was after missing the Olympics in 2002 which her and Ben qualified for. So she did her time to become a citizen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    That's a pretty stupid excuse. There's no precedent simply because no one wanted Japanese citizenship in an exceptional way and no Diet member has made such a move. This time, at least the bipartisan group of sports related Diet members is supporting Tran's naturalization. They can propose and deliberate the agenda without agreements from the bureaucrats.
    How do you know?? Maybe there haven't been any Olympic-level figure skaters, but many exceptional scientists and artists, or people super-talented in other ways, have tried to get Japanese citizenship after living and working there for many years (some all their lives), and failed.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    How do you know?? Maybe there haven't been any Olympic-level figure skaters, but many exceptional scientists and artists, or people super-talented in other ways, have tried to get Japanese citizenship after living and working there for many years (some all their lives), and failed.
    Who I think are more exceptional than a figure skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't think it's right that Tran get special treatment just because he can perhaps get Japan a medal in Sochi. He doesn't even speak the language or live there. In contrast Tanith Belbin had to go through all the steps to become a US citiizen.
    She even learned English.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789