Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vacant
    vCash
    Of all the 1980's Worlds, 1985 for some reason is my least fave to re-watch. Actually 1985 Euro's in Gothenburg were much more interesting but what is of interest now is the difference in enthusiasm and attendance. These championships were held at the Yoyogi National Stadium as was the WTT last week.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Of all the 1980's Worlds, 1985 for some reason is my least fave to re-watch. Actually 1985 Euro's in Gothenburg were much more interesting but what is of interest now is the difference in enthusiasm and attendance. These championships were held at the Yoyogi National Stadium as was the WTT last week.
    Agreed.

All four medal divisions were more interesting performance - wise, and the technical standard seemed higher too.

I think it was the only time I've seen Susan Jackson from GBR skate as well. I'm surprised she didn't go further in the sport.

Blergh
    vCash
    I have to disagree with the poster who said K/P's FDs were crap (at least in 1988). I loved their Beatles FD and as someone else stated, their difficulty and variety in steps and choreography throughout their dances was the art of it. I mean I'm happy they changed direction in 1991 and 1992, but sometimes I feel fans don't appreciate the art in the purity of actual dance itself. Plus, watching B/B and K/P in succession just shows how inferior and tedious B/B were in comparison.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    The world of dance was spoiled to have two rival teams as exciting and different as B & B and K & P. B & B were theatrical and dramatic, whereas K & P were fluid and romantic. It was fun to see how their styles grew in the lead up to Calgary in 1988.

vCash
    Claudia L looks like Plush in a really dated leotard.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Agreed.

All four medal divisions were more interesting performance - wise, and the technical standard seemed higher too.

I think it was the only time I've seen Susan Jackson from GBR skate as well. I'm surprised she didn't go further in the sport.
    Susan was very good actually and had a lovely triple toe and sal but her figures did her in more often than not, as well as some inconsistency on the triples. I think she actually won the SP at the 1985 St Ivel and beat Debi Thomas in that portion but Debi won overall. But that was also when Joanne Conway came on the scene. Joanne beat Susan at Nationals in late 1985 but Susan beat her in Europeans so got sent to Worlds but had to withdraw from the freeskate due to illness IIRC.

Susan came second to Joanne again at 1986 Nationals and I'm guessing she retired after this as Joanne didn't go to 1987 Euros and they sent Gina Fulton instead who was 3rd at Nationals and didn't even have a fully rotated double axel . She went on to skate professionally and worked a bit with Torvill & Dean including their Ice Adventures tour.

vCash
    Here are some additional videos from the 1985 world championships:-

Cynthia Coull - Free Skate - finished 10th in the ladies event

Karen Barber & Nicky Slater (6th in the Ice Dance): 1st Compulsory Dance, 2nd Compulsory Dance, 3rd Compulsory Dance, Original Set Pattern, and Free Dance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    You are probably right on your last point, which just shows Ivanova was undermarked IMO. I dont usually like her skating but she really skated well at the 85 Worlds. I thought she skated with alot of passion in her 85 Worlds LP btw, and technically she was as strong or stronger than Witt in the LP, and Witt's not even well choreographed Olympic program for the second straight year was a major bore.
    I would be the last person ever accused of being a Witt fan, but I thought the result was fine. Ivanova was slow and I'd disagree with that she skated with "a lot of passion". Jumpwise, Witt had two triple sals and two triple toes compared to Ivanova's loop, sal, and toe, so maybe give Ivanova a bit of an edge for doing a loop, but Witt's landings were a lot more secure. I thought Witt's spins were stronger and plus Witt just had more speed, energy, and confidence in her skating. The program is not my favourite, but she really performed it and sold it.

I thought the real highlight in the ladies event was the SP - Chin was absolutely lovely and Witt's Andulsia program was one of the few of hers that I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I loved Coull. Her Cats SP from the 1983 Canadian Championships was outstanding. If it hadn't been for weak compulsories, she would have been on the world team with Kay Thomson that year.

Coull and Rowsom were both strong singles skaters, and they were among the first pairs to present two different sbs triples in their free routines.
    There is something about Coull's skating that really irritates me and I can't put my finger on what it is...I haven't found one of her programs that I like, but maybe I'll have to see if I can track down the Cats SP. I do think it was a shame that someone with as much talent as Cynthia had in two different disciplines never qualified for the Olympics in either. It must have been very hard for her in 1984 to miss both the ladies and pairs teams by one slot, and then I'm not sure what happened to Coull & Rowsom in 1987, but after a disastrous free skate at Worlds, they retired without giving the 88 Olympics a shot. Perhaps injury? Whatever it was, she and Mark are among only handful of skaters I can think of who were World medalists that never made it to the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I have to disagree with the poster who said K/P's FDs were crap (at least in 1988). I loved their Beatles FD and as someone else stated, their difficulty and variety in steps and choreography throughout their dances was the art of it.
    I finally had the chance to re-watch their 85 free dance and I think crap was perhaps a bit strong. It was just blah, completely unmemorable.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the Beatles FD, though. That was probably my least favourite program of theirs and I think they gave the gold away to B&B with it.

I mean I'm happy they changed direction in 1991 and 1992, but sometimes I feel fans don't appreciate the art in the purity of actual dance itself.
    I actually think their best programs were in 89 and 90, before they changed direction, where they finally found the right mix of technical and artistic. Their samba OSP in 1990 was masterful and actually made me like Latin, which is a miracle.

Plus, watching B/B and K/P in succession just shows how inferior and tedious B/B were in comparison.
    Having done just that, I don't agree...I actually found that watching the two in succession makes K&P look tedious, at least in 85. I don't quite have the same appreciation for any of B&B's other programs, though, so I might be convinced otherwise as I re-watch some of the later years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    ...I thought the real highlight in the ladies event was the SP - Chin was absolutely lovely and Witt's Andulsia program was one of the few of hers that I liked.
    IIRC, the results of the SP were the flip side of the figures for the top 3, correct? -

CF - 1) Ivanova; 2) Chin; 3) Witt
    SP - 1) Witt; 2) Chin; 3) Ivanova

It left them in the same exact overall order as after the figures - 1) Ivanova 1.8; 2) Chin 2.0; 3) Witt 2.2

How did Kondrashova do? I know she finished 4th. But, I never saw her performances. She finished in front of Thomas. But, forgot to check if they were linked in this thread ETA- they weren't. CBS only showed the top 3 and Thomas back in '85. I remember that paltry coverage!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    How did Kondrashova do? I know she finished 4th. But, I never saw her performances. She finished in front of Thomas. But, forgot to check if they were linked in this thread ETA- they weren't. CBS only showed the top 3 and Thomas back in '85. I remember that paltry coverage!
    I don't know where Anna placed in the figures, but there was a YouTube clip of her short program on line a few years ago. She did in fact skate clean in this portion of the event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    So do I. I guess we were lucky to even get the top three.

Here are the top placements at 1985 Worlds:

1) Witt 3-1-1 = 3.2
    2) Ivanova 1-3-2 = 3.8
    3) Chin 2-2-3 = 5.0
    4) Kondrashova 4-4-5 = 9.0
    5) Thomas 7-5-4 = 10.2
    6) Leistner 5-11-6 = 13.4
    7) Lebedeva 8-7-8 = 15.6
    8) Gosselin 9-13-10 = 20.6
    9) Manley 10-10-12 = 22.0
    10) Coull 18-8-9 = 23.0

13) Jackson 14-12-13 = 26.2

vCash
    Barber & Slater OSP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orJMa3ny-S8

I'm hoping some more quickstep OSP's from 1985 are found!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12