vCash

Partnerships spliting/Retiring for future Goals,vs. Love from their Fans

LOL,ok. After reading the shocking thread about Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig,and knowing too well how much all their Fans must love them,and wish they hadn't split. It lead me to post this topic. I was wondering if anyone knows...if when Partnerships (Dance or Pairs) beginto think about Spliting or Retiring. Do they just think about just that..the fact that they know they either want to move on. Or things aren't working out. Or do Teams actually take into concideration about how loved they are be their Fans as well..and THAT too helps them to make a decidtion?

vCash
    I don't think that the love of the fans alone is enough for any skater to be considered a good reason not to retire from competitive skating.

So it certainly isn't for a pair/dance skater who'd like to split/retire because of parterships issues/relationship issues/life issues etc. Skating with a partner is always a "double trouble", you share everything and it can be a very good thing but you also have to relate with someone who is different from you and in a long-term partnership you will eventually have to face this. Most of the time they have different goals in life, they both come from different cities they'd like to come back to, they have boyfriends/girlfriends who want to have a family, etc.

So yes probably they may think about it but it's not something they seriously consider imho.
    CaroFan™

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Everyone retires some day. Either from sport, from a job, from military or public service, etc. The difference is, most people are not doing their job in the limelight. I am sure that skaters are greatly appreciative of their fans; but they are in a very high-stress job, physically and emotionally, and they've (generally) started in the sport when they are very young. I think that after spending 20 or more years in the sport, most are ready to move on to other aspects of life that have probably been lacking for them, such as school, work, relationships, family, etc. Ultimately, individual happiness is more important than sticking with something just for your fans. Skating fans will find other teams or skaters to root for as their favorites retire.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Watch me move
    vCash
    Skating with a partner is also very expensive - you share the coaching costs, but you have double the travel, outfitting, and living costs. It is nice to be loved by your fans, and I'm sure there is some regret at disappointing them, but for some pairs and dance teams it just becomes too expensive to continue.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Do Skaters or Teams keep in mind though ALONG with THEIR reasons abot how Fans will feel and how much they'll be missed?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Most teams appreciate their fans, and they appreciate how disappointed we are that they'll not longer skate.

I think we need to appreciate that skaters have given us joy over the years and that we are lucky to have seen them as long as we have, but at a certain point, they need to make life decisions that work for them, including when they stop skating, as disappointed as we are.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    FSWer, your question seems to be a bit naive. Being elite figure skater means a lot of hard physical work, certain requirements on your lifestyle (e.g. not being able to stay up late frequently), food restrictions, lack of money (figure skating is expensive and most skaters pay a lot for boots/blades, tuition etc, so they mostly live quite modestly), being limited in activities you can do (not wanting to risk injury) etc. Would you remain in a job you stopped enjoying only because you don't want to dissappoint other people? (People you don't even know?) It is your life and we live only once.

vCash
    Along with love from fans skaters also have to put up with a lot of snark from their critics, and every skater has their share of both.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Interesting question.

If there isn't a demand, I'm wondering if some partnerships would have dissolved earlier. Of course, training costs, mastering and maintaining skills are big factors as well.

Off the top of my head, Torvill & Dean have rebuilt their brand from headlining tours to hosting a very successful television show.

It's hard to imagine they retired from eligible competition (the first time around) almost 30 years ago.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Some skaters have come back or stayed on another season due to the outpouring of love and support they have gotten from fans on the internet... Ryan Bradley and Lang & Tchernyshev come to mind (though L&T's comeback was unsuccessful as they had to withdraw in the middle of Nationals in 2004 I believe... we never got to see their programs. ).

I'm sure some other skaters also consider doing well for their country to be an important reason to come back, especially for the Olympics (like Plushenko in Vancouver).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One way we can show love and support to skaters is that while we are very sad when they stop skating, at the same we can be happy for them that they are about to start the next phase of their lives.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Do Skaters or Teams keep in mind though ALONG with THEIR reasons abot how Fans will feel and how much they'll be missed?
    I am sure it enters into skaters' thoughts. But really, one has to have an emormous drive to continue; and if one is not the happiest inside doing it, it cannot be forced. We don't know Amanda's reasons. Perhaps she wants family. Perhaps she wants to coach ( it seems she might be a great coach, especially with children, with her lovely personality). Perhaps she is hurting too much ( the sport is brutal). They were great, FSWer, and always gracious to fans, let's wish them the best! ( and there surely be others we'll get attached to, as we love the sport)
    improving my ballad- like lines

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    No skater owes any of us his or her life or his or her career, or any input into whatever decisions he or she makes regarding those things. At all.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady