Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    you mean that Dom Shab won on technique? im going to rewatch this competition, but i seem to remember people complained about their FD PC. anyway, Dom Shabs' refined skills were nice to watch and made them look sophisticated.
    I watched the last two groups of the 09' World's OD last night & a few things came to mind.
    V/M made three errors (Scott on the twizzles, their spin & a trip on the step sequence).
    D/W made two errors (Charlie on the twizzles & on the step sequence).
    I forgot about that.
    K/N made an error on their twizzles.
    K/K made an error on their twizzles.
    F/S fell.
    Looking at the event over the three stages, P/B & B/A were the only one's who went clean.
    Dom/Sha were clean but very slow.
    B/A were the best in the OD & FD but I wish they had gone for a more crowd pleasing program. I think that would have pushed them to the Gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Torvill & Dean 1982 - OSP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6hZBxPAcls

I doubt that anything as extraordinary as this will be seen again.
    i literally had to remember to breathe watching this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wustfan View Post
    Are Pro programms allowed? Because this ist one of my favourite Usova & Zhulin programms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHenO...-VJK1ighyqoRU=
    What is "evil fate"? Is Usova portraiting the devil?

vCash
    I don't think it was about T&D ignoring or breaking the rules. They had to work within them. But it was probably more at the time doing things that no-one else had considered and did leave open questions to how they had interpreted them.
    How they worked within the rules.
    In their own words, with a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllC-...feature=relmfu

Another gorgeous performance of "Bolero" follows.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-23-2012 at 09:45 PM.

vCash
    deleted
    double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    does K-O's Carmen include moves from modern dance, in your opinion?
    There was a slight controversy at the time becuase someone (I think Grishuk) suggested that Linichuk stole most of the moves from a modern dance production of Carmen. It turned out to be true as I saw it with my own eyes on TV a few years later. The costuming, the angular moves, the motif of Carmen pulling colored sashes from men to symbolize her control over them etc. was all pulled directly from this production. It was actually pretty shocking to see how close it was. She did a great job of translating it to the ice, but I don't think she ever credited the source, but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Not to take anything away from great champions Linichuk and Karponosov, but in 1980, a gold medal winning program looked like this. The program was a series of dissimilar dances pasted together to show mastery over all styles. (I must admit I giggled uncontrollably back in 1980 when I saw this great Soviet team segue into what passed for a hoedown dance!)
    Their Olympic FD was really weak, but for some reason I always loved their 78 FD which was very similar to their Olympic FD, but I thought worked much better, cheese and all. You can see how Linichuk presents herself here and how it would influence her future students.

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    The combination of the athletic and artistic. The way both dancers should be even in a way that wasn't true in the past (Margaglio
    You mean someone who could do a convincing Latin program and skate close to another partner in closed holds?

Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Yes !. They were the one's who should have one the Bronze (& I was a huge Fusar-Poli/Margaglio fan). B/K went SPLAT at the end of their FD too.
    Drobiazko and Vanagas's FD was skated ENTIRELY in hand to hand position, and Margarita was being dragged by Povilas through that entire FD, bent free legs anywhere. The "footwork" sequences were a joke. Seriously, I dare anyone to watch that program and tell me I'm wrong. At least FP&M skated reasonably close together.

If anyone was robbed, it was Denkova and Staviksi. Watch them, and then watch D&V, and explain to me what is inferior about D&S.

The less said about every Olympic ice dance result post 1998 the better.
    Last edited by casken; 04-24-2012 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    This is a great thread as I was just thinking the other day how I missed the good old days of Ice Dancing.

My favorite is Grishuk and Platov's 1997 OD Tango. I also enjoyed B&K, U&Z and of course, Torvill and Dean.

vCash

Wilson and McCall

I loved all the videos of T&D and B & S. Thanks for posting. I wanted to add a few of my favorites from Wilson & McCall:

OSP 1988 Olympics

And the first time I saw them on TV when I became a fan:

FD 1984 Olympics

A cute number with personality a nifty Quickstep section and some interesting lifts along with their entertaining footwork:
    FD 1986 Worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    I loved all the videos of T&D and B & S. Thanks for posting. I wanted to add a few of my favorites from Wilson & McCall:

OSP 1988 Olympics

And the first time I saw them on TV when I became a fan:

FD 1984 Olympics

A cute number with personality a nifty Quickstep section and some interesting lifts along with their entertaining footwork:
    FD 1986 Worlds
    They were an excellent team. Their 1987 FD was also very nice. I would've had them 2nd in 1986, 1987 and 1988 behind Klimova & Ponomarenko. What they lacked was the ease in which they did everything like Marina & Sergei could do. But their choreography was always very ambitious.

vCash
    I loved Wilson and McCall's FDs from both those Olympics. That Joplin FD was so quick and very difficult.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Their Olympic FD was really weak, but for some reason I always loved their 78 FD which was very similar to their Olympic FD, but I thought worked much better, cheese and all. You can see how Linichuk presents herself here and how it would influence her future students.
    I found it be a major chore to watch Linichuk & Karponosov. She was an excellent skater (relative to him at least) and they skated with good speed and power but they had such a cookie-cutter style. Part of that was their lack of musicality relative to a team like Moiseeva & Minenkov although L&K were technically much stronger (that was very evident in the compulsories). I'm undecided on the results of the 1980 Olympics. I was fine with their 1978 and 1979 wins though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    There was a slight controversy at the time becuase someone (I think Grishuk) suggested that Linichuk stole most of the moves from a modern dance production of Carmen. It turned out to be true as I saw it with my own eyes on TV a few years later. The costuming, the angular moves, the motif of Carmen pulling colored sashes from men to symbolize her control over them etc. was all pulled directly from this production. It was actually pretty shocking to see how close it was. She did a great job of translating it to the ice, but I don't think she ever credited the source, but maybe I'm wrong.

You mean someone who could do a convincing Latin program and skate close to another partner in closed holds?

Drobiazko and Vanagas's FD was skated ENTIRELY in hand to hand position, and Margarita was being dragged by Povilas through that entire FD, bent free legs anywhere. The "footwork" sequences were a joke. Seriously, I dare anyone to watch that program and tell me I'm wrong. At least FP&M skated reasonably close together.

If anyone was robbed, it was Denkova and Staviksi. Watch them, and then watch D&V, and explain to me what is inferior about D&S.

The less said about every Olympic ice dance result post 1998 the better.
    You really like to look on the bright side of life don't you

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456