Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wandering Goy
    vCash

Canadian actor Jonathan Frid, original "Barnabas Collins" in "Dark Shadows", has died

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1064327

I used to race home from school to see this show, and him in the role of Barnabas and others (in the various alternate time periods and time lines) every afternoon.

I read in another article and in this one that he and other original cast members will be in a party scene in the new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton DS movie to be released next month.

RIP (truly), Mr. Frid.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    I remember Dark Shadows from my junior high years. It made me think of another occult soap that was on at the same time, "Strange Paradise". I just looked it up on wiki, and that lead actor in that series was also a Canadian Shakespearean actor.

I wonder if they are in syndication on some retro channel somewhere? Tacky sets were pretty much the standard for soaps of that era, but the lead actors were very compelling and had a huge following. I don't think as many teens saw Paradise, as it was on in the middle of the day, but I had a summer babysitting job and remember seeing it every day.

I remember "Dark Shadows" and Jonathan Frid lunchboxes (the metal kind with the thermos). I'll be that show set him up financially as well as made him a household name.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    OMG...I am shocked.

I just purchased a special numbered set of the entire Dark Shadows series (it comes in a coffin case) and it came just last week.

One of the special items is a personaly autographed picture of Jonathan.

I Loved that show.

RIP Jonathan.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    RIP, Jonathan. I'll always remember him as Barnabas Collins.

At least he won't have to see that ridiculous Dark Shadows remake that's comming out soon...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The genius of "Dark Shadows" is that it wasn't played for "camp".
    With an actor less gifted than Jonathan Frid, the show wouldn't have worked at all.

It was an important part of my teen-age years.
    Thank you.
    You'll be missed.

vCash
    I used to rush home to watch Dark Shadows. I loved that show.

R.I.P Jonathan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post

I wonder if they are in syndication on some retro channel somewhere? Tacky sets were pretty much the standard for soaps of that era, but the lead actors were very compelling and had a huge following. .
    It's available on Netflix streaming

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Did someone send Tim Burton that memo? (And would it be too soon to wonder if it was seeing the commercials for the movie that killed Frid?)

It's a testament to Frid's acting chops that what was supposed to be a one-shot character (Barnabas wasn't intended to be a regular cast member and was slated to be killed off) turned into pretty much the heart of the show. And cheesy or not it still worked--I was home sick one day my senior undergrad year and Mom called, and asked what I was doing and I said "I'm sitting on the couch watching 'Dark Shadows'." She said "You can't be watching 'Dark Shadows' in college! *I* watched 'Dark Shadows' in college!" Thirty years apart, it worked. And episodes without Barnabas were just pointless. Jonathan Frid MADE that show.

If I had Collins mix, gin or vodka, and grenadine, I'd make a Barnabas Collins to toast him. Hope whisky is okay....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    I used to race home from school to see this show, and him in the role of Barnabas and others every afternoon.
    Same here for me and my siblings. To scare each other, we used to say (in a sinister voice) "Barnabas...Adam...Eve's bones". I don't recall why we said "Eve's bones" but I assume it had to do with the storyline.

vCash
    Very sad to hear, he was so good at being Barnabus that none of the DS remakes even came close to being as good. Especially this new Tim Burton movie coming out .

vCash
    A brilliant actor, portraying a brilliant character, Barnabas Collins (not to mention Bramwell!) on a brilliant show. Dark Shadows really hit its stride when Barnabas came aboard. It's a shame he won't be around to bask in the glow of the film revival.

I have a feeling he'll find a way to keep haunting that great house of Collinwood!

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    OMG...I am shocked.

I just purchased a special numbered set of the entire Dark Shadows series (it comes in a coffin case) and it came just last week.

One of the special items is a personaly autographed picture of Jonathan.

I Loved that show.

RIP Jonathan.
    I MUST HAVE THIS. Of course, whoever is selling it will probably jack the price up tremendously now.

vCash
    Pretty sure that Dark Shadows, like The Honeymooners and some other oldies is handled by MPI home video.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icecat View Post
    Pretty sure that Dark Shadows, like The Honeymooners and some other oldies is handled by MPI home video.
    I know, I have bought The Early Years (pre-Barnabas) and a lot of the Barnabas-into-Quentin-years sets, and the final box set with the Bramwell/Catherine story line. It would be far cheaper to just find the remaining originally issued box sets, but the "Coffin Collection" sounds so voidy.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I have never heard of this show until this week.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Very sad to hear, he was so good at being Barnabus that none of the DS remakes even came close to being as good. Especially this new Tim Burton movie coming out .
    I was a fan of the 1991 remake. Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, and Michael t. Weiss.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I was a fan of the 1991 remake. Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, and Michael t. Weiss.
    I have that box set as well. Am I obsessive much (please don't answer that)?

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    I know, I have bought The Early Years (pre-Barnabas) and a lot of the Barnabas-into-Quentin-years sets, and the final box set with the Bramwell/Catherine story line. It would be far cheaper to just find the remaining originally issued box sets, but the "Coffin Collection" sounds so voidy.
    It is very cool. It is a limited numbered edition (only 2,500 sets) and from what I have heard is sold out. They will aslo be doing a "deluxe set" of just the DVD's in the coffin that will be released in july. Those will not be numbered or contain the autographed picture of Jonathan.
    Here is a link to the specifics. Dark Shadows - Limited Edition Collection

There are 131 DVD's, containing all 1,225 episodes plus interviews and more.

It is very cool!!!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    I just checked.
    The 131 DVD complete, Limited Edition "coffin" set; is selling for over $800.00, online at Amazon, and elsewhere.
    Upcoming re-release available for approximately $400.00.

A good commentary about the set:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54328...iginal-series/
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-20-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: to add more information

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    With an actor less gifted than Jonathan Frid, the show wouldn't have worked at all.
    Yes, Fried was why I watched. RIP
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast