Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

CBC ices "Battle of the Blades" in budget cuts

This series is one of many being cut in light of the serious budget cuts suffered by the CBC. Read more here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/cash-strapp...151350270.html
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Maybe we will luck out and CTV can pick it up.

It was a great show.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    That link didn't work for me, so here's another - likely the same CP story:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2407570/

Here's hoping they can sell it to CTV. Likely wouldn't be able to include Ron MacLean as he might be contractually tied to CBC, but no reason why the rest of the show can't go one if CTV is willing to fund it, and thinks they can get advertising support. Still lots of time to pull it together for the fall season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Here's hoping they can sell it to CTV. Likely wouldn't be able to include Ron MacLean as he might be contractually tied to CBC, but no reason why the rest of the show can't go one if CTV is willing to fund it, and thinks they can get advertising support. Still lots of time to pull it together for the fall season.
    CTV would replace Ron MacLean with Rod Black

vCash
    This seems kind of stupid, not just because skating fans like it, but because it got good ratings.

It's probably more expensive to produce than a show involving a bunch of people sitting in a studio yakking at each other, but I would guess that BotB gets more viewers than many of those types of shows....
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    I'm sorry to hear this!
    I'm grateful to my Canadian friends for making clips for us to watch.

vCash
    This sucks.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    This seems kind of stupid, not just because skating fans like it, but because it got good ratings.
    Somebody in the comments section of the Globe article said that viewership of the season finales was successively down each year. That being said, I think it still had more viewers than most CBC shows (or other Canadian shows), and generated a lot of buzz.

It also hit a really broad demographic - many of my friends who normally do not watch skating sat down to watch it every week as a family because there was something for everyone.

My guess is production costs didn't provide enough return in the form of advertising and sponsorship dollars for it to continue. Doesn't mean another network might find the equation more viable, but as a friend close to the show just told me "don't hold your breath."

vCash
    I was afraid this was going to happen. YUCK! And they're putting on another Titanic show? How many of those do we need?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    I was afraid this was going to happen. YUCK! And they're putting on another Titanic show? How many of those do we need?
    No kidding - seems a tad late to ride that wave, no? And I do wonder how the billion Titanic specials and mini series and Cameron's reissue did last week any way. Media were all over covering the story, but did the public buy into the hype? I was bored with it before it started.

vCash
    I don't know much about Canadian TV or politics, so the whole issue confuses me. Why would the Canadian government (i.e., taxpayers) subsidize reality TV programming?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I don't know much about Canadian TV or politics, so the whole issue confuses me. Why would the Canadian government (i.e., taxpayers) subsidize reality TV programming?
    Because it's a Canadian-made production, so it creates jobs for Canadians and puts Canadian-based programming on the air.

I think lots of people would prefer Canadian content like arts specials, but without these sort of subsidies Canadian TV would be nothing more than reruns of American TV shows.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    PBS broadcast "An American Family" in 1971. Government subsidies for reality TV is nothing new.

CBC produces a wide range of programming. The model has been more BBC than PBS or anything in the US, anyway.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Thanks for the explanation. It seems such an unusual concept to me, the equivalent of U.S. taxpayers subsidizing Dancing with the Stars or Jersey Shore.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    In addition to funding to the CBC, productions also get tax credits and grants for Canadian content, whether it's in front of or behind the camera. The production company that produced the show would have benefited from those as well, and it remains to be seen how Harper's latest budget will affect those programs. The affected productions would include shows on every network, plus Canadian productions that air on US networks as well.

vCash
    Thanks, Jenny. Do they pay the government back out of advertising and sponsor dollars? I read in some of the coverage that some CBC executives, plus people like Don Cherry, have very handsome salaries.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Posted by Battle of the Blades on Facebook:

Hello dear fans,

Faced with the reality of having to chop $115 million from our programming, we have had to make the difficult decision to place Battle of the Blades on hiatus.

This is no reflection on the program; the show has had great success over its the seasons, and it has been blessed to have some of the most passionate fans in the world. But unfortunately, given the production costs for the show and our current financial situation, we simply can’t afford to bring Blades back this season.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Thanks, Jenny. Do they pay the government back out of advertising and sponsor dollars? I read in some of the coverage that some CBC executives, plus people like Don Cherry, have very handsome salaries.
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but no, the CBC doesn't pay the government back. I don't know why they should.

vCash
    I'm not sure if CBC had a mandate to keep a certain number of both scripted vs. non-scripted programming for prime-time.

BOTB had a decent season ratings-wise overall, but I think it's season average fell below Dragon's Den, Republic of Doyle, Rick Mercer and Arctic Air

vCash
    So sorry to hear this. Sounds like another quality skating show loss. Not good for the sport & fans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast