Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

David Wilson will be choreographing new programs for Gachinski and Tuktamysheva

New article stating that David Wilson will be choreographing new programs for Artur Gachinski and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.

I think this is a very good move by Alexei Mishin, and will really help Artur and Liza in terms of their PCS marks.

vCash
    Thanks. This article is also being discussed in the Russian news thread : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...15#post3557315
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    New article stating that David Wilson will be choreographing new programs for Artur Gachinski and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.

I think this is a very good move by Alexei Mishin, and will really help Artur and Liza in terms of their PCS marks.
    This is of course good news, especially if there will be no watered down choreography (refering to Weir´s "Wilson choreography").

vCash
    Mishin and Wilson, that is a pairing I never thought I would see.

vCash
    I agree! I hope that the programs stay in tact with what David lays out. She really does perform well.

vCash
    Good for Gachinski and Tuk to have wider exposure, and David is a world class choreo. They both have tremendous potential. Everyone's flocking to Canada!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think this is a good thing. And you know who else would benefit from Wilson vs. the bombastic style she has now? Liza's teammate, Adelina.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Excellent to hear that. I think Mishin needs to move out of where he has been for his students. Maybe a reason why Plush is going to Pasquale too.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Really curious what this off season brings out of Liza!

vCash
    I am happy to hear this! I am especially looking forward to seeing Queen Tukt next season

vCash
    This is indeed good news.

But considering what happened to Gachinski's Dickson programs last year, I'm not holding my breath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Really curious what this off season brings out of Liza!
    Let's hope a brand new , mature style and a triple axel in competition!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice9 View Post
    This is indeed good news.

But considering what happened to Gachinski's Dickson programs last year, I'm not holding my breath.
    As I've said before, Gachinski, IMO might be helped to develop more stretch and fluidity, not to mention gracefulness, by training in ballet. Or has he already, and it had little effect?? He lives in the land of historic and amazing ballet tradition, so why wouldn't he be able to incorporate ballet training into his regimen, and benefit from it?

vCash
    A little sad about this because I absolutely loved Artur's programs this season. The short was so much fun, I think it really helped him develop an on-ice personality, and it fit the music so well! And I think the long has so much potential for further development. I was really hoping for him to keep these two and carry on with them into this season.

Here's hoping Wilson gives him something awesome!

vCash
    ^ And that Mishin doesn't ruin it by throwing out 90% of the choreograraphy.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I wonder why some of the Russian skaters are coming out and doing this. Why have they not done this before and they are now? Anyone have a theory?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    I wonder why some of the Russian skaters are coming out and doing this. Why have they not done this before and they are now? Anyone have a theory?
    Politics, conflict of interests, internal and international. It would be interesting to see how they will be received back home at Russia Nationals too.
    Last edited by os168; 04-29-2012 at 12:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Gosh I'm sure people could base their entire thesis on exploring the recent history of Russian Skating and it's perceived "collapse". From the little I know, this is my take: I wonder if their system has just been slow to recover from the Soviet collapse. All the defecting that occurred in the 90s moved a significant chunk of their talent across the pond. I think that change made all the difference.

It was the newer generation of skaters who were growing up in Russia, who were born after the collapse, that were feeling the deficit during the mid '00s.

Now they are in a phase of rebirth, catching up with the rest of the world's well oiled skating federations. Made all the more difficult because the new judging system just so happened to be introduced just as they were in the process of rebirth so now they have that extra hill to battle; the new system is so counter intuitive to the legacy of Russian skating. You can still see that legacy in the types of programs being produced by skaters who are training within Russia; the programs are beautiful and really not to take away from their value, but they are very old fashioned (in concept, music, design, costuming, everything). I think this is one of the reasons that despite their being a few potential turning points over the last few years, any momentum immediately sputtered. The unbelievable talented skating stars have come through to provide those shining moments, but overall their federation was rooted still in a system that no longer cohered to the one that the rest of the world was playing in.

Now there's looming Sochi so the push to medal is smacking, but boy they are cutting it close just two, three seasons before the games, only just now luring coaches back to Russia and sending students abroad. Clearly now the federation sees what it needs to do to compete with the rest of them. What remains a little is why it took them so long. Pride? Were they, are they so strongly rooted in the traditions of Russian skating that they could not let go of a style, philosophy, and system that could no longer compete with the world? Lack of funding?

What are your thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    Gosh I'm sure people could base their entire thesis on exploring the recent history of Russian Skating and it's perceived "collapse". From the little I know, this is my take: I wonder if their system has just been slow to recover from the Soviet collapse. All the defecting that occurred in the 90s moved a significant chunk of their talent across the pond. I think that change made all the difference.

It was the newer generation of skaters who were growing up in Russia, who were born after the collapse, that were feeling the deficit during the mid '00s.

Now they are in a phase of rebirth, catching up with the rest of the world's well oiled skating federations. Made all the more difficult because the new judging system just so happened to be introduced just as they were in the process of rebirth so now they have that extra hill to battle; the new system is so counter intuitive to the legacy of Russian skating. You can still see that

legacy in the types of programs being produced by skaters who are training within Russia; the programs are beautiful and really not to take away from
    their value, but they are very old fashioned (in concept, music, design, costuming, everything). I think this is one of the reasons that despite their being a few potential turning points over the last few years, any momentum immediately sputtered. The unbelievable talented skating stars have come
    through to provide those shining moments, but overall their federation was rooted still in a system that no longer cohered to the one that the rest of the
    world was playing in.
    Now there's looming Sochi so the push to medal is smacking, but boy they are
    cutting it close just two, three seasons before the games, only just now luring coaches back to Russia and sending students abroad. Clearly now the federation sees what it needs to do to compete with the rest of them. What
    remains a little is why it took them so long. Pride? Were they, are they so strongly rooted in the traditions of Russian skating that they could not
    let go of a style, philosophy, and system that could no longer compete with the world? Lack of funding?
    What are your thoughts?
    The impression I have gotten from Russians living in the U.S. Is that the economic situation in the former Soviet Union was pretty dire after the break- up. It has only been in the last couple of years that I have heard them speak of their homeland with optimism. Ice skating probably wasn't a priority.

vCash
    The PCS is very low and not getting better and in the 2011-2012 season Mishin introduced backloading to Gachinski and also chose Tom Dickson to work with him or however that worked. In Sochi teams can't risk getting 5's in PCS like Plushenko did in Vancover. You can't have that happen. Classic "Russian" design of Ice Dance programs and Mens programs have to be thrown in the garbage and are being thrown in the garbage. Ladies is looking good because the technical elements are so strong for them- but getting PCS higher is important. Pairs has been good there throughout COP due to Moskvina and her just being always on top of any change that happens.

ETA- Pride was a factor and the past success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast