Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I don't know--even KSA has female athletes competing internationally in pants and hijab.
    The government of Saudi Arabia does not endorse any of its citizen female athletes entering or performing in international athletic competitions as a matter of policy. Any Saudi national women competing are doing it on their own initiative and volition.
    Nadya

vCash
    Hit send too soon - you must be thinking of other Gulf countries like Bahrain or UAE. Not KSA.
    Nadya

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    Hit send too soon - you must be thinking of other Gulf countries like Bahrain or UAE. Not KSA.
    No, KSA. There's at least one Saudi woman vying for an Olympic berth this summer in equestrian, and then there's the female soccer/football team that competes internationally IIRC. There may be others, but those are the ones that I recall from KSA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    No, KSA. There's at least one Saudi woman vying for an Olympic berth this summer in equestrian, and then there's the female soccer/football team that competes internationally IIRC. There may be others, but those are the ones that I recall from KSA.
    Dalma Malhas is the Saudi equestrian athlete who competed in the Youth Olympics outside of the official Saudi delegation. Again, KSA does not sponsor or endorse female participation in international sporting events. Any Saudi female athletes competing internationally do so representing themselves. See here http://www.emirates247.com/sports/ot...04-05-1.452488

Dalma lives in Italy and has probably not stepped foot in KSA for quite some time.

Have never heard of an internationally competitive female soccer team - do you have a link you can share?
    Nadya

vCash
    Getting this thread back on track, I'm happy for Lari. She's a pioneer and shows that hijab does not have to be an impediment to participating in figure skating. Plus, this is also great for figure skating in that region. Hopefully, there will be other girls and women who follow in her footsteps.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I remember Vanessa Giunchi covered her hair almost completely with some really large hairband/headband/shaul/scarf, skating her beautiful Schindler's list program back in 2001. The hijab shouldn't be a problem at all. Way to go girl, I'm very happy for her

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Getting this thread back on track, I'm happy for Lari. She's a pioneer and shows that hijab does not have to be an impediment to participating in figure skating. Plus, this is also great for figure skating in that region. Hopefully, there will be other girls and women who follow in her footsteps.
    Does a hijab have to be black?
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    I don't think so ... at least they certainly are not all black around here (in central Illinois).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    In fact, most are not Google "colorful hijab" and check it out.

vCash
    oh no, it doesn't have to. I've seen the most beautiful scarfs wore as hijabs.

It's great that we get to watch figure skaters from all those countries. Diversity is a resource. Who'd have said that in 2012 a spanish boy was a contender for the medals at Euros and Worlds and an italian girl would have been world champ?
    CaroFan™

vCash

Cool

Won't let me rep again just yet but thanks for posting this article Sylvia!

I have such great respect for females who manage to compete in sports despite cultural or religous restrictions. More power to Zahra and I wish her every success possible-and may she inspire the generation to come from her country, faith and culture.

I don't know for sure but in countries like Saudi Arabia they seem to be all black. Perhaps it depends on the region. I could be wrong though.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That is great news!

Great that women can skate in trousers/unitards now, nothing stopping the costumes from being 'modest'.

Theoretically a hijab should not be allowed in ISU competitions though, given it's a prop isn't it (being detachable)?
    I definitely do not want to discuss the political aspects of this (that's what PI is for), just making a technical point about the rules.

Skaters never cover their heads and only used hats and similar when they were explicitly allowed to do so given the Short Dance theme.

I imagine (and hope) that no referee would actually enforce that rule against a girl who chose to skate in a hijab, though.
    I don't understand - were the rules different in 1994 because Oksana Bauil definitely wore a black "Swan Lake" headpiece as a prop for her Olympic SP:

Bauil 1994 SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY

So did Katarina Witt at both the 1984 and 1988 Olympics

Witt 1984 Olympic SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhrNA8wzL8U

Witt 1988 SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m1Z...eature=related

Witt 1988 LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57R7a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Good on her. We've had skaters from Iran competing at the World Roller Championships since about 2008 (I think). They also wear the hijab. They were so welcomed by the audience and other skaters it was really wonderful to see. By the end of the week these quiet very shy young girls were getting their photos taken with World Champions and were just beaming with joy. Coaches from all over the world were also introducing themselves to the Iranian coaches and giving them tips and advice. It was one of the mot memorable experiences from that week.
    Again-won't let me rep again yet but thanks for sharing that wonderful story! It's quite heartwarming!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 04-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    I wonder if they can do pairs
    Probably only if they're married or siblings. Or father-daughter.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    New article on Zahra Lari after her return home to Abu Dhabi: http://www.albawaba.com/editorchoice...uae-ice-421582

vCash
    I don't see how wearing a hijab in competition would be a problem; I don't recall Léna Marrocco or Sara Hurtado getting into trouble for what they wore this past season, or the Zaretskis when they did that Hava Nagila OD, or Elena Ilinykh who covered her hair in the Schindler's List FD. I don't think a hijab should be any different.

I hope Zahra Lari will continue to compete internationally; I'm sure it will have been a great learning experience for her and hopefully she can improve and inspire others.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Perhaps, agalisgv thought about the privately owned basketball team from KSA:

Although Saudi Arabia boasts 153 official sports clubs regulated and supported by the
    General Presidency for Youth Welfare (GPYW), a government agency, offering individual
    and team sports, in practice these clubs remain closed to women. The female basketball
    team section of Jeddah United appears to be the only exception. Jeddah United is a private
    sports company not among the 153 sports clubs.
    Small private initiatives to hold sporting tournaments for women and girls continue away
    from the public eye, but these are tolerated rather than supported by the government. A
    leading Saudi businessman, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, sponsored Saudi Arabia’s first
    women’s soccer team, the Jeddah Kings, in 2009. But he abandoned the effort when media
    coverage of a women’s soccer tournament that year involving the Jeddah Kings and five
    other private teams caused a public backlash, with a hostile reaction to the players by
    some conservative Saudis.
    Thank you, Nadya for the link. Very informative.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    New article on Zahra Lari after her return home to Abu Dhabi: http://www.albawaba.com/editorchoice...uae-ice-421582
    Thanks for the link!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Two ideas on her custuming

1) Her pants need to be pulled taunter, so she has less fabric vertically, I think this would help her leg line look smoother.

2) You could do a really cool Pierrette costume for her.
    Last edited by JanetB; 04-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    If she's wearing a hijab to be "modest", isn't the implication that the other hijabless competitors are immodest?

Isn't competition in and of itself immodest?

Isn't the idea of attractive hijabs itself immodest?

I can't get my head around all the implications.....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast