Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I don't see anyone saying they should keep everything the same. They need to improve their execution.

But if you want to think that all they need to do is cater to your pedestrian tastes, so be it.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I'm really excited to see their new dances
    Although I admit that I was a fan of their very Russian style with her elegant beauty.
    I'm just glad that well never have to see another Delilah...

vCash
    I think that the execution problems came from the mere fact that probably they didn't even like what they were skating to.Of course,I can't wait to see what the next damage control strategy will be.Maybe they will be accused of being N/K now.It's ok,I loved N/K.

I love the russian style but the problem was that their coaches couldn't understand that they're 22 year old kids and even if you follow this style you have to highlight it in a more contemporary way.
    Ok I'm excited.But it still seems surreal that Zhulin is their coach.

vCash
    Zhulin also said that he will work with them on the technical aspects. He is well aware of them loosing levels. I liked Bobrova/Soloviev's "Melody of the White Nights" free dance but overall I felt they were always doing the same kind of program more or less. What Zhulin plans now is quite different. It looked very promising.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    What would be the point of changing coaches and then keeping everything the same?

I'm looking forward to the Parisienne Walkways/Pink Panther free. It certainly can't be any worse to some of the shite they've skated to these past few seasons.
    I am so excited to see all the changes for all the Russian dance teams and I don't even like dance !!!

Thanks for the article Sylvia!!!!

vCash
    I totally agree with Zhulin.

B/S have great basics but their style was just beyond and - with few exceptions - all their programs looked the same.

Can't wait to see their new routines.

And I'll take Navka/Kostomarov's smooth, flowing crossovers and "Pink Panther" voids over 99% of ice dance teams.

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I used to have quite high opinion about Pavlova based on the work she has done with both Illushetchkina and Martiusheva, but I have to say that I have lost this high opinion because of the interview after Lubov and Nodari split.
    This.

I used to consider Pavlova to be the best Russian pairs coach but after all of this came to light...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Zhulin also said that he will work with them on the technical aspects. He is well aware of them loosing levels. I liked Bobrova/Soloviev's "Melody of the White Nights" free dance but overall I felt they were always doing the same kind of program more or less. What Zhulin plans now is quite different. It looked very promising.
    Yeah I really liked that program but I wish that it had a little more variation.

vCash
    Wait till Zhulin whips out that sexy Navka headband

Maybe an exciting Enigma or Sade FD like he did with Pasha

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Grand Prix Assignments thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Russia Pairs
    Two: Volosozhar/Trankov(US/Russia), Kavaguti/Smirnov(China/France), Stolbova/Klimov(China/France), Bazarova/Larionov(Russia/Japan)
    One: Gerboldt/Enbert(Canada), TBA(Russia)

Dance Russia
    Two: Bobrova/Soloviev (USA/China), Riazanova/Tkachenko(Canada/France), Sinitsina/Zhiganshin(China/Russia), Ilinykh/Katsalapov(Russia/Japan)
    One: Pushkash/Guerreiro(France), Monko/Khaliavin(Russia)

Ladies Russia
    Two: Leonova (US/Russia), Sotnikova(US/Russia), Makarova(Canada/Japan), Tuktamysheva(Canada/France), Lipnitskaia(China/France)
    One: Shelepen(Japan), Biryukova(Japan), Korobeynikova(France), TBA(Russia)
    Men
    Two: Gachinski (Canada/Russia)
    One: Voronov (Japan), Menshov (US), Dmitriev (China), Bush (Russia), TBA (Russia)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Does anyone know what Hoffman/Zavozin's status is?
    Do they continue skating in Moscow?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    H/Z split last season before their scheduled GP. He was coaching. I believe she's back in Hungary.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AKISIN View Post
    Does anyone know what Hoffman/Zavozin's status is?
    Do they continue skating in Moscow?
    From a couple of articles in the Hungarian sports press about this during mid March, don't have time to translate at the moment, so here's a short news synopsis from those:

First article from 2012.03.09 re: Hungarian Skating Federation
    http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli...aros-es-a.html

Federation contacted Nóra to discuss what sort of budget she would need per year to continue with a partner. (Namely a substantial chunk of the funds allocated to the entire skating federation - including junior skaters, speed skaters, etc.) Article goes on state how stretched the federation is, and how expensive ice time is these days in Hungary. (Apparently a lot more than it is in Sweden, fwiw...)

Second article, dated 2012.03.19 is a rather gossipy piece from Sport Géza with a bit of divatude from Nóra and some nice pictures. (Goggle translate at your own peril )
    http://sportgeza.hu/sport/telisport/...itsuk_egymast/
    Nóra contacted the Federation to thank them, and to officially notify the end of her ice-dance partnership with Maksim. There still might be possibility for Nóra to team up with another partner for Sochi and 2014 Euros in Bp, but only if she can find someone who has the potential to bring good results - she's not going to skate just for the hell of it.

At that time, Nóra was still in Moscow, working at the same skating/snow-sports complex where Maks has been coaching kids. The salary potential/opportunities are better in Moscow, however, she would consider returning to Hungary if there is a good situation for her there.

(Hope that works for you all...)
    Last edited by sbanet; 05-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.

vCash
    Bad luck draw for Sinitsina/Zhiganhsin
    I hope I don't jinx it

vCash
    I'm kind of worried about Bobrova and Soloviev during the gp season. They face off against weaver poje both times while facing off against Davis and white at skate America and Pechalat Bourzat and Sinitsina Zhiganshin at cup of china. So even with significant improvements they may not even reach the grand prix final. It's a pity because some of the other events namely TEB and skate America have much easier fields to get a second place finish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And I'll take Navka/Kostomarov's smooth, flowing crossovers and "Pink Panther" voids over 99% of ice dance teams.

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Wait till Zhulin whips out that sexy Navka headband

i can't wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I'm kind of worried about Bobrova and Soloviev during the gp season. They face off against weaver poje both times while facing off against Davis and white at skate America and Pechalat Bourzat and Sinitsina Zhiganshin at cup of china. So even with significant improvements they may not even reach the grand prix final. It's a pity because some of the other events namely TEB and skate America have much easier fields to get a second place finish.
    I think its a double edge sword switching to Zhulin
    either they'll really get noticed or be buried in the competitions and have a splatfest working on their terminal techniques. I'll go with the latter.

vCash
    I guess the good sign is that, even with their shitacular programs from last season, they were still getting huge program components. With level fours instead of leek twos they probably would have been in the mix for a medal. So even small improvements should give them a chance to move up the skating totem pole.
    Also, if they can show a dramatic style change (no pun intended) they may get even higher scores for doing something different. I thought that a bunch of the small changes that virtue and Moir made last season detracted from their programs and were clearly just for points, but they got rewarded for it. Maybe the same thing can happen for BS
    my main hope for their programs though is that they show off the pair's great lines
    I always thought that katia's donut and skate to head layback were exquisite.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Macassar88;3575669]my main hope for their programs though is that they show off the pair's great lines

Oh yes they have lovely lines They are a lovely looking couple on the ice .I'm really rooting for them and I hope they work hard and it pays off .They could have lots of new fans if it all works out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    ? Do you mean Skate Canada in the last sentence, because B&S are already going to Skate America, where it will be easy to finish third, but hard to earn 2nd or 1st. And TEB has the same lineup at the top as Skate Canada.

Skate America - D&W, W&P, B&S
    Skate Canada-V&M, C&L, and Gilles & Poirier, R&T-it's a shallow field
    Cup of China-P&B, W&P, B&S
    Cup of Russia-V&M, I&K, S&S
    TEB-P&B, C&L, Gilles & Poirier, R&T again
    NHK-D&W, I&K, S&S

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    ? Do you mean Skate Canada in the last sentence, because B&S are already going to Skate America, where it will be easy to finish third, but hard to earn 2nd or 1st. And TEB has the same lineup at the top as Skate Canada.

Skate America - D&W, W&P, B&S
    Skate Canada-V&M, C&L, and Gilles & Poirier, R&T-it's a shallow field
    Cup of China-P&B, W&P, B&S
    Cup of Russia-V&M, I&K, S&S
    TEB-P&B, C&L, Gilles & Poirier, R&T again
    NHK-D&W, I&K, S&S
    Yeah I meant Skate Canada.
    Basically, the two GP's that have Gilles and Poirier as well as Riazanova and Tkachenko.
    The ones with the Shibs and Ilinykh and Katsalapov are probably the second tier and the two that they're in are the top tier.
    It should make for some good rivalries though. The COC podium could easily be the 3 4 and 5 place at Worlds this season.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast