Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

vCash
    Didn't Plushy already declare that he's going to participate in only one GP event which of course would be Rostelecom cup?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Didn't Plushy already declare that he's going to participate in only one GP event which of course would be Rostelecom cup?
    There's been a bit of confusion and mixed messages about that, but the basic theme that seems constant is that he's taking steps towards building up a full season as he gets closer to the Olympics - so I imagine this year we'll see him at a GP, Nationals, Euros. Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.

Then the following season he would do 2 GPs, GPF, Nationals, Euros, Olympics, maybe Worlds.

At least that's how I've been reading it.

vCash
    Since the GPF is in Sochi, I was wondering if Plushy would try to get there and maybe skip nationals or Euros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.
    Yes, because we all know there are only Canadian judges on the panel when Worlds are held in Canada.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    There's been a bit of confusion and mixed messages about that, but the basic theme that seems constant is that he's taking steps towards building up a full season as he gets closer to the Olympics - so I imagine this year we'll see him at a GP, Nationals, Euros. Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.
    If you think that's the rule in figure skating, you must be overjoyed then that the next Olympics are held in Russia.

vCash
    Then the following season he would do 2 GPs, GPF, Nationals, Euros, Olympics, maybe Worlds.
    Plushy's never done post-Olympic worlds (1998, of course, doesn't count). I can't imagine he'll do so in 2014. As for his plan for 2012-13, I guess we'll find out more in three days' time...

Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Yes, because we all know there are only Canadian judges on the panel when Worlds are held in Canada.
    I don't think it's a given that Canadian skaters will be held up at Worlds, but politikking can be accomplished with international panels, and it's not like we've never seen a home ice advantage in past skating events. I can think of Canadians (as well as skaters from elsewhere) who have benefited.

OTOH, it might be interesting to see what happens if/when Plushenko and Chan end up competing against each other in Russia - at the GPF, as kirkbiggestfan suggested, or later on.

vCash
    Look to the tech panels for the big time politicking.

Speedy gets to pick the 3 panel members with help from the VP of figure skating...who is David Dore...of Canada. They also consult the federation hosting the event...which is Skate Canada.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Words can not describe how much I'd rather Chan in Moscow than Pluschenko
    (but most of all I want Takahashi )
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Based on how last year's announcement was phrased, he can't. But he's guaranteed a slot anyway, and I can't imagine he'll want to do more than Rostelecom (if that).
    He will very likely want to do two and qualify for the GPF since it is being held at Sochi Olympics stadium.

ETA; haha Kirkbiggestfan has already said this before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    He will very likely want to do two and qualify for the GPF since it is being held at Sochi Olympics stadium.

ETA; haha Kirkbiggestfan has already said this before.
    I think this is absolutely great thing to pre-experience and feel the Olympic atmosphere. In 2009, when 4cc was held in Vancouver every top skater didn't miss a chance to skate at olympic rink.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Plushenko is absolutely going to go to Worlds in Fake London. I can't imagine he'd want to count on any of the other Russian men earning spots for Sochi.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Absolutely! He has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Based on how last year's announcement was phrased, he can't. But he's guaranteed a slot anyway, and I can't imagine he'll want to do more than Rostelecom (if that).
    What if they invite him to other GP?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Since the GPF is in Sochi, I was wondering if Plushy would try to get there and maybe skip nationals or Euros.
    I wish that he would do this. Maybe do TEB and CoR. I really don't expect to see him at Worlds in Canada, and he needs to get some experience against the top international guys, not just the European men who are weak right now.

Frankly, if he wants to beat Chan before the Olympics, the Grand Prix is the ideal place to do it. Chan is not an early season skater; he tends to fall 3-4 times in GP competitions. Later season, when Chan is peaking and with worlds in his home, would be a lot more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Plushenko is absolutely going to go to Worlds in Fake London. I can't imagine he'd want to count on any of the other Russian men earning spots for Sochi.
    They only need one spot for Sochi. If another Russian guy wants to go the Olympics, he can win the spot to 2013 Worlds and place top 10.

vCash
    Nevertheless Plusneko will go to worlds. Canadian men usually don't do well at worlds and Olympics in Canada. Even if he was placed below Chan (who I don't imagine beating Plushenko fair and square), there's a more than perfect excuse.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

PS: I don't think Plushenko can use the "comeback skater" clause since he did an ISU Championship last season?
    Oh, you're right: he was Euro champion last season and with the third highest SB score, is guaranteed one. (It was Ando who disclosed that she signed the paperwork to come back.)

If he doesn't get two from among those guaranteed one, I don't know who will.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Russia is in terrible position in men because even if it is Plushenko what if he withdrew? No man places in 2013 worlds is there still an Olympic spot? What if it is 20th (not for Plushenko but someone else)?

Plushenko has been saying he wants a full season. I thought 2012-2013 was going to be a full season based on his statements.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 05-19-2012 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    Anyone with any inside info on what time to expect the announcement? US morning, Euro morning, whenever the heck they feel like it?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Russia is in terrible position in men because even if it is Plushenko what if he withdrew? No man places in 2013 worlds is there still an Olympic spot? What if it is 20th (not for Plushenko but someone else)?
    If a country doesn't earn a spot at Worlds, there is a b-international in the fall where they will have an opportunity to earn one Olympic spot. And unless something has changed, the host country is always guaranteed one spot in each discipline, and that skater gets to skate in the free even if they don't qualify after the short. So Russia will definitely have at least one men's spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Oh, I hadn't thought of this. I was thinking in terms of protecting his body. But this would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    You're doing Gachinski a massive disservice. He is more than capable of a top 5 at the minimum. They only need a top 10 finish at 2013 Worlds to have two spots for Sochi, yes?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    You're doing Gachinski a massive disservice. He is more than capable of a top 5 at the minimum. They only need a top 10 finish at 2013 Worlds to have two spots for Sochi, yes?
    Yes, and I hope Gachinski skates well this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    . And unless something has changed, the host country is always guaranteed one spot in each discipline, and that skater gets to skate in the free even if they don't qualify after the short. So Russia will definitely have at least one men's spot.
    From the 2010 Special Regulations (downloadable from http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html)

For Singles and Pairs, Rule 400.A.5:
    However, in case where the Competitor/Pair of the Host Member went through the normal qualifying procedure and did not qualify under paragraphs 3 [prior WC's] or 4 [Qualifying Competition] above, one Competitor/Pair of the Host Member shall have the right to participate in each discipline (Ladies, Men and Pairs), as Competitor number 30 in the single discipline and as pair number 20 in the pairs’ discipline
    400.A.1 states that "In the two singles disciplines the best placed twenty-four (24) Competitors in the Short Program will qualify for the final Free Skating." There's no provision I can find for adding a Host Skater who isn't top 24 after the SP. (There's also no explicit wording for Pairs and Dance.)

For Ice Dance, Rule 400.B.5 (formerly Rule 570.5):
    However, in the case where the couple of the Host Member went through the normal qualifying procedure and did not qualify under paragraphs 3 [prior WC's] or 4 [Qualifying Competition] above, one Couple of the Host Member shall have the right to participate in the Ice Dance discipline as Couple number 24.
    Similar text to the following didn't appear in 1568, I assume because Canada qualified spots in all disciplines in Moscow, but it did appear in 1313, issued for the Torino Olympics:

In such case the number of skaters/pairs taken from the Senior International Competition designated by the ISU (Karl Schäfer Memorial, October 12-16, 2005, Vienna/Austria) will be reduced (and not the number of skaters/pairs described in paragraph 1 above).
    This isn't explicit in the Special Regs, but the maximums are, with no provision to add one, like they do at World Championships before the Free Skate. I believe the provision to have Host Countries have a skater in the Free Skate regardless of whether they qualify normally was dropped within the last few years. I'm not sure if the Host Country skater/team gets added to the SP/SD if there's a prelim round, if s/he/it doesn't qualify that way, or if it's just the first phase.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 05-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast