Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    YukiNieve posted the link to ISU Communication 1727, which lists International Competitions for 2012-13. Skaters who must post a GP minimum (scores not yet released) should be able to at the following Senior B events:

• 8-12 August, ASU Asian Figure Skating Trophy (Taipei City): Ladies, Men (Not listed as an invitational or region-restricted for Seniors)
    • 8-10 September, Ice Star (Minsk): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 13-16 September, US Senior International (Salt Lake City): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 27-29 September, Nebelhorn Trophy 2012 (Oberstdorf): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 3-7 October, 20th Ondrej Nepala Trophy (Bratislava): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 4-7 October, Finlandia Trophy (Espoo): Ladies, Men, Dance

19-21 October, Skate America
    26-28 October, Skate Canada

• 24-28 October, Cup of Nice (Nice): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 30 October-4 November, Crystal Skate (Brasov): Ladies, Men, Dance

2-4 November, Cup of China
    • 2-4 November, NRW Ice Dance Trophy (Dortmund): Dance

9-11 November, Rostelecom Cup

• 6-11 November, Icechallenge 2012 (Graz): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance

16-18 November, Trophee Bompard

• 15-18 November, Warsaw Cup (Warsaw): Ladies, Men, Pairs
    • 16-18 November, 15th Merano Cup (Merano): Ladies, Men
    • 16-18 November, Pavel Roman Memorial (Olomouc): Dance

23-25 November, NHK Trophy

------------
    Skaters who didn't have to post a GP minimum by last year's rules:

• "Come-back" skaters, at least those who use the one-time provision to be guaranteed two
    • Host pick replacements, which, based on last year's behavior, with Desanctis and Balde at Skate Canada without having made the GP minimum, includes TBD replacements.
    • Split couples who reached the minimum score in the last two seasons with their old partner, which is everyone who placed Top 12 at Worlds.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Who will make their Senior Grand Prix debut in the coming season?

* = has aged out of ISU Junior events in 2012-13

LADIES
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP & expected to be moving up:
    Gracie Gold USA 12 SB/55 WS, Polina Korobeynikova RUS 17 SB/30 WS, Zijun Li CHN 24 SB/20 WS
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP IF they move up:
    Julia Lipnitskaia RUS 5 SB/33 WS, Polina Shelepen RUS 19 SB/23 WS (back to JGP because of RUS ladies' depth?), Satoko Miyahara 20 SB/49 WS, Risa Shoji 23 SB/32 WS
    Possible host pick: *Yuki Nishino JPN 60 SB/28 WS, Kaetlyn Osmond CAN 41 SB/82 WS (if she decides not to return to JGP), *Alexandra Najarro CAN 90 SB/74 WS, *Kate Charbonneau CAN 68 SB/96 WS

MEN
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP IF they move up:
    Han Yan CHN 19 SB/19 WS, Joshua Farris USA 20 SB/26 WS, Jason Brown USA 23 SB/23 WS
    Possible host pick: *Artur Dmitriev RUS 30 SB/37 WS, *Zhan Bush RUS 32 SB/52 WS, *Liam Firus CAN 40 SB/53 WS
    Possibility of a GP invite?: Jorik Hendrickx BEL 28 SB/27 WS, Misha Ge UZB 31 SB/36 WS

PAIRS
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP/already has competed twice on GP but could return to JGP: Yu/Jin CHN 16 SB/20 WS
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP: Vartmann/Van Cleave GER 21 SB/19 WS
    Possible host pick or invite: *Duarte/Grafton USA 43 SB/37 WS, Popova/Massot FRA 35 SB/43 WS
    Competing on JGP: Davankova/Deputat RUS 22 SB/52 WS, Denney/Frazier USA 25 SB/41 WS, Purdy/Marinaro CAN 32 SB/31 WS, Li/Jiang CHN 37 SB/47 WS, Simpson/Blackmer USA 30 SB/35 WS, Gainetdinova/Bich RUS, Bell/Sylvester CAN...

DANCE
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP:
    Sinitsina/Zhiganshin RUS 9 SB/14 WS (assumed to be moving up), *Orford/Williams CAN 21 SB/22 WS, Zlobina/Sitnikov AZE 23 SB/40 WS, Guignard/Fabbri ITA 29 SB/18 WS
    Believed to be returning to JGP: Stepanova/Bukin RUS 11 SB/16 WS, Yanovskaya/Mozgov RUS 12 SB/32 WS, Aldridge/Eaton USA 17 SB/23 WS (hearsay info), Papadakis/Cizeron FRA 19 SB/25 WS, Nazarova/Nikitin UKR 24 SB, Zenkova/Sinitsin RUS 26 SB, Koch/Nuchtern GER 36 SB...
    Outside possibility of a GP invite?: *Shtork/Rand EST 33 SB/34 WS
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I was just looking at the SB list from last year, and in Pairs, I counted 12 splits out of 74 couples.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    This Japanese newspaper article says:

- Miki Ando will participate in GPS. ISU now requires athletes who took year(s) off and intend to come back
    to sign an agreement that they are obliged to participate in GPS
    unless unforeseeable incidents happen. Miki signed this agreement.

- A meeting for GPS assignments will take place this weekend in Chicago.

http://twitpic.com/9m5vxg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post

- Miki Ando will participate in GPS. ISU now requires athletes who took year(s) off and intend to come back
    Good for her. Anyone know if any other "comebacks" (Plushy, Evan, Johnny) have signed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Good for her. Anyone know if any other "comebacks" (Plushy, Evan, Johnny) have signed?
    EP is not a comeback skater. He competed last season.

vCash
    Johnny Weir just tweeted tonight:
    "Can barely wait for the ISU Grand Prix Assignments on Monday! Fingers crossed!"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Can barely wait for the ISU Grand Prix Assignments on Monday! Fingers crossed!"
    That would lead me to believe that he singed the agreement ISU should have called it the 'Evan Lysacek Clause'

vCash
    Technically Evan wasn't a "comeback", I don't think. He was a host pick and was in the top 24 in the World Rankings so he was also selected by another country. So technically this would not have applied to him at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Technically Evan wasn't a "comeback", I don't think. He was a host pick and was in the top 24 in the World Rankings so he was also selected by another country. So technically this would not have applied to him at the time.
    True enough, it just struck me funny that they put this rule in now after what happened last season

Back on topic: I am excited by the prospect of Miki skating again

vCash
    Lots of comebacks for this upcoming season show how skaters value and have desire about experiences of skating at olympics and medaling there. Sochi will be so much exciting!

vCash
    The number of US men eligible for GP assignments makes me nervous. What if Josh and Jason are TOLD to stay in Juniors because they have too many men wanting assignments? That would be a ludicrous situation!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    The number of US men eligible for GP assignments makes me nervous. What if Josh and Jason are TOLD to stay in Juniors because they have too many men wanting assignments? That would be a ludicrous situation!
    Grand Prix assignments are not done by nationality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Grand Prix assignments are not done by nationality.

I thought that each country had a maximum number of skaters they could have at each event?

vCash

I thought that each country had a maximum number of skaters they could have at each event?
    There can be no more than 3 skaters from any country at any event, but the skaters are more likely to miss out because there are too many skaters ranked ahead of them than because there are 3 skaters from their country in every single event. I'm not sure that's ever even happened.

vCash
    DANCE
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP:
    Sinitsina/Zhiganshin RUS 9 SB/14 WS (assumed to be moving up),
    Believed to be returning to JGP: Stepanova/Bukin RUS 11 SB/16 WS
    Stepanova/Bukin are staying on the junior circuit as their coaches confirmed to me. Sinitsina/Zhiganshin are moving up according to sources in Russia.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

That is three per event; the maximum number of slots for one country is 18 (3*6).

The number of US Men guaranteed spots this season if all turn Senior are:

Two:
    Abbott

One:
    Miner
    Rippon
    Farris
    Brown
    Dornbush

Weir and Lysacek are either come-back skaters guaranteed two -- after signing that they intend to come back, skate GPs, etc. -- or, if they don't take that option, they can be at the top of the alternates list as come-back skaters.

In total, that's a maximum of 11 of 18 maximum spots for US men if Lysacek and Weir use the one-time "come-back" option and each skater gets the number of guaranteed spots. If every skater gets two in the initial selection, that would mean 16 of 18 maximum slots, leaving two host pick slots for anyone USFS wants to invite. With at least three men likely to use the "come-back" clause (including Plushenko), and because all those guaranteed one must get a second before anyone in the Top 75 is considered for a non-host pick, it's unlikely that any US Men not Top 24 WS or SB will get a spot from the alternates list for the other five events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post

- A meeting for GPS assignments will take place this weekend in Chicago.

http://twitpic.com/9m5vxg
    I'm getting really excited, as well .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Weir and Lysacek are either come-back skaters guaranteed two -- after signing that they intend to come back, skate GPs, etc. -- or, if they don't take that option, they can be at the top of the alternates list as come-back skaters.

In total, that's a maximum of 11 of 18 maximum spots for US men if Lysacek and Weir use the one-time "come-back" option and each skater gets the number of guaranteed spots. If every skater gets two in the initial selection, that would mean 16 of 18 maximum slots, leaving two host pick slots for anyone USFS wants to invite. With at least three men likely to use the "come-back" clause (including Plushenko), and because all those guaranteed one must get a second before anyone in the Top 75 is considered for a non-host pick, it's unlikely that any US Men not Top 24 WS or SB will get a spot from the alternates list for the other five events.
    Oh, okay! Thankyou for clearing up that confusion. So if they decide to turn Senior, both Josh and Jason should get at least one.

PS: I don't think Plushenko can use the "comeback skater" clause since he did an ISU Championship last season?

vCash
    PS: I don't think Plushenko can use the "comeback skater" clause since he did an ISU Championship last season?
    Based on how last year's announcement was phrased, he can't. But he's guaranteed a slot anyway, and I can't imagine he'll want to do more than Rostelecom (if that).

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast