Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Patrick Chan posted this tribute message to Randy Starkman on his Facebook yesterday:
    I was absolutely shocked and really sad.

Randy, as a writer, your journalism always carried with it an inspiring charisma and excitement for the amateur athletic scene. You were truly the best at bringing our stories to life.

As a friend, your personality and sense of humour made you extraordinarily likeable. You always had my back and were always someone I could talk to when I had something to get off my mind.

You will be missed dearly by the sports community. You will be missed dearly by those who knew you. Thank you, Randy, for being a genuine writer and friend.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    here's the page where you can leave memorial messages:
    http://www.benjaminsparkmemorialchap...um=128685&fg=0

vCash
    Thanks, fan. There are some very touching and heartfelt messages there.

Randy Starkman conducted this light-hearted Q&A video with Patrick Chan in October 2009 (I found the link posted in the Chan uber thread): http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/art...t-patrick-chan

I was glad to see a tribute to Randy Starkman in the 4/26/12 edition of "The Inside Edge" blog (scroll down to the end): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Fitting tribute to Randy Starkman:

Randy Starkman to be honoured at Canada Olympic House

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Thanks algonquin. The goodness and kindness of the late Randy Starkman lives on in the hearts of the amateur athletes. Great that Canada recognises the invaluable contribution of Starkman.

vCash
    I'm glad that he will be remembered in such a meaningful way at an event that was so important to him.

vCash
    Extremely, extremely sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his writing. My condolences to his loved ones.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My post in the Krall/Chan thread also referenced this sad news: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...1&postcount=33

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with him last year, and he struck me as being a very humane and worldly person, as well as a devoted family man.

ETA my post from the FSU Archives last year:

Randy Starkman was the journalist, and he signed off his email to me as follows:

What is the story about the single tear?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thanks for letting us know algonquin. Lovely to know the athletes are honouring his memory in such a way.

It still doesn't seem real Randy's not over there getting ready to cover these Games.

vCash
    I'm bumping up this 2-year old thread to post news I was happy to see today:
    Today [May 15, 2014] the Canadian Olympic Committee announced the ‘Randy Starkman Olympian Humanitarian Award’ in honour of the late accolade-winning amateur sports reporter. The award will be given out every Olympic year to one male and one female who are role models on and off the field of play. Being a great person and a good athlete were traits Randy valued.

The first edition of the award will be presented at the Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame Gala Induction Ceremony, in June.
    http://olympic.ca/2014/05/15/new-awa...andy-starkman/

His old paper, the Toronto Star, has an article as well: http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateu...new_award.html
    “One characteristic of a truly great Olympian is someone who finds a way to translate their success in sports into something very tangible in the community and finds a way to use their medals for a greater cause,” said four-time Olympic medallist Adam van Koeverden, a driving force behind getting this award off the ground.

“We’ll be looking for a great story, somebody Randy would have appreciated.”
    (A quote by van Koeverden about Starkman is in my FSU sig. line.)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    What a wonderful and fitting honor. Thanks for posting that Sylvia.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    What a great tribute!
    I look forward to finding out who the first recipients will be.

vCash
    That's a great idea and a wonderful tribute.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Happy to know that Olympian medallist Adam van Koeverden spearheaded the special award in memory of Randy Starkman. The tributes and gratitude received from the athletes clearly indicate Randy Starkman was a much respected and loved journalist which is rare these days. Randy's family must be so proud of him.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12