Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Chan split with Don Laws just a month before the 2010 Olympics so this kind of thing isn't surprising. His skating improved so much with Christy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blade runner View Post
    Answer;
    Ryan Bradley - men's champion
    Alexe Gilles - junoir ladies champion
    Marissa Secundy - novice ladies champion
    Also Todd Gilles (2005 Jr Dance Champ) (I think?)
    Jeremy Abbott (2005 Jr Men's Champ + Sr Champ)

(sorry for thread drift)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayana_mnk View Post
    For what it's worth, it seems that Chan has indeed ended his association with Lori Nichol as well. That is, he has according to Tim Koleto on his twitter.
    This is all very interesting. I hope Chan uses Buttle next year for choreo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    She's a control freak very much like Joubert's mother.
    I wouldn't even try to have it sound so negative. I think you basically have two different paths towards being an elite skater who can achieve placements in the Top Ten / Top Fifteen at Worlds. You either live in a country that has a highly regulated, state-supported system à la Soviet Union or China.

Or you have Tiger Moms / Dads. There are probably a few exceptions, where the path was a little different. But it simply is a sport that you start relatively young. And if you want someone relatively young to achieve big things, the parents are the ones who become the driving force behind the success, they are the managers, the bank, the advisor, the taxi driver, the caterer... Often they end up with a big role, that they keep far into the adult lives of the skaters. That scares the average Joe, but I think it's just natural that the parents continue to be important and, yes, controling throughout the career of their skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post

Or you have Tiger Moms / Dads. There are probably a few exceptions, where the path was a little different. But it simply is a sport that you start relatively young. And if you want someone relatively young to achieve big things, the parents are the ones who become the driving force behind the success, they are the managers, the bank, the advisor, the taxi driver, the caterer... Often they end up with a big role, that they keep far into the adult lives of the skaters. That scares the average Joe, but I think it's just natural that the parents continue to be important and, yes, controling throughout the career of their skaters.
    So...if a skater is winning world titles, parental involvement is the nature of the sport; but if a skater is struggling , he or she or Mirai is immature and desperately needs to grow up and take charge of his or her or Mirai's own career. Am I getting this right?

vCash
    I thought this was interesting in the Globe and Mail article:

"Chan was more interested in following a “different mode of training” this season with a focus on the artistic side of the sport."

That was as opposed to ChristyKrall's more scientific approach.

From everything Chan has said this year - that his focus has been on improving his artistry and considering that this is what many/most of his detractors complain about - this makes sense.

Aslso add in that Chan wanted to spend more time in Toronto and it doesn't seem like a horrible decision on Team Chan's part to lessen Krall's role.

Both Krall and Laws resigned from coaching Patrick as he decreased his time with them and increased it with others.

Whether this works out the way Chan wants it to or not remains to be seen - but it all seems to make sense to me.

vCash
    “But I was stepping out of the coaching role I was in and becoming an instructor, and I personally wanted to do more than that."
    I'm scratching my head a little bit here.....I thought that this was part of a coaching role, especially for someone wanting/needing to master quad jumps.

NBC Commentary almost had me believing that Patrick didn't have a coach. They mentioned at least 20 times during the season that Krall had said that Patrick knew what to do, didn't need anyone to tell him what to do. My thought was that her resignation made it official.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    This is all very interesting. I hope Chan uses Buttle next year for choreo.
    I too hope Chan uses Buttle for chore...... Actually I heard that Buttle choreographed Chan's exhib. number. Jeff Buttle still is my fav. skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    More skaters were going to Kristy Crall, so maybe Patrick wanted a coach who would be more singularly there for him?

I know very little about Kristy Johnson. Who has she coached?
    Your getting warmer, real warm in fact. Now, where are the skaters coming from? I will give you three guesses and the first two don't count. How about the melt down in southern MI.

Maybe mama Chan isn't going to stand for a top male skater training along side Patrick. Can't say I would blame her.

vCash
    I just worry that he may lose his big jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post

Whether this works out the way Chan wants it to or not remains to be seen - but it all seems to make sense to me.
    Yes. There doesn't seem to be much mystery about this split. Krall gave quite a detailed picture of the situation and also informed us he was stuggling mentally in the few months leading to Worlds and lacked motivation. Hopefully he finds what he needs so that the next two years of his skating career live up to his potential.

I'm more excited and intrigued by the possibility he won't be working with Nichol. I don't hate her as some do but I would like to see what Patrick can do with other choreography. I´ll repeat I'd like to see Shae´Lynn do a short for him because I think her ideas could be great with a skater of Patricks skill. I liked the ex Buttle did for him but maybe a safer route would be a Wilson/Buttle collaboration (didn't they work together on Javier´s freeskate?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Your getting warmer, real warm in fact. Now, where are the skaters coming from? I will give you three guesses and the first two don't count. How about the melt down in southern MI.

Maybe mama Chan isn't going to stand for a top male skater training along side Patrick. Can't say I would blame her.

Krall gave her resignation to Chan though just before worlds, so I doubt there's a correlation there with the 'MI melt down skaters'.

I think Chan just wants a change. His ex program was amazing, it'll be interesting to see what he does next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Krall gave her resignation to Chan though just before worlds, so I doubt there's a correlation there with the 'MI melt down skaters'.

I think Chan just wants a change. His ex program was amazing, it'll be interesting to see what he does next.
    In the article it says she told them the day after:
    Krall informed Skate Canada officials and Lewis Chan, Patrick's father, of her decision the day after the world championships in Nice, France, where the 21-year-old from Toronto claimed his second consecutive world title on March 31

vCash
    Surprised at the news but not really... Patrick was really not feeling 'it' the weeks leading up to Worlds and even showed in his practices. He was not the invincible Patrick from the last season so maybe really what he needs is to find more enjoyment in his last several years of skating career.

Though I do worry about him losing his jumps...

vCash
    Not to diminish what Chan and Krall achieved over the last two years because it was a very successful period for them but she isn't the only person capable of teaching jumps. A lot of people couldn't believe he went to her after Laws but it worked out for him. I don't feel nervous about this move at all. Chan will succeed if he really wants to and remains motivated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    She's a control freak very much like Joubert's mother.
    Actually, I thought having parents who were control freaks was a pre req of being a top skater. Take the top 10 skaters of all times and you will find that the great percentage had controlling parents managing the coaches. But go ahead somebody and try to explain that the coaches got the skater to be the best, it should be interesting who and what skater you would pick. I personally think without mama Chan, Patrick wouldn't have made it to even skate at a world championship. Just my two cents.

vCash
    i'd speculate (purely speculation ) that it is unlikely that the chan family would ever return to the cricket club. he started his career there with mr. colson and some assistance from ellen burka. ever since mr. colson and mrs. burka were unceremoniously dumped from the cc, and moved to the granite club, they haven't been back. of course, that was when the wirtzes were at the club, but i believe his training base would be the granite and he'd be unlikely to go with the orser/wilson/wilson school of training. no idea though.

vCash
    Jeff is always my favorite!
    And now I am rooting for Patrick.
    So I am really happy to see Jeff's choreography for Chan's EX.
    and I enjoyed Mannish Boy very much.
    Fresh choreography, Fresh Music.
    So hope to see Wilson's work for Chan's competition program.
    Or Wilson/Buttle collaboration

At the same time, I feel a little sad because I actually liked Lori's work.
    But It seems to be a fresh new start.
    Interesting.
    Last edited by idee123; 04-17-2012 at 04:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I'd like to see Patrick with a SP choreographed by Shae'Lynn and a FS by Buttle.
    Shae was (maybe still is) working with him as a mentor, so we could see that. I would love that, actually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Actually, I thought having parents who were control freaks was a pre req of being a top skater. Take the top 10 skaters of all times and you will find that the great percentage had controlling parents managing the coaches.
    Well, first we'd have to agree on who the top 10 skaters were of all time .

Hard to say of course because we don't actually know the situation of all skaters. But some of the famous ones we do know about actually seemed to do worse because of controlling parents. I'm thinking of Tiffany Chin, Brian Joubert, Mira Leung, Letitia Hubert, and of course Ann-Patrice McDonough who left skating altogether to get away from her mom.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast