Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Is the author of this Joshua Farris's mother?
    I don't think so, I think it's just a freaky coincidence. It does say in her profile that her three children skate at Broadmoor and have competed at Junior National level, but as far as I know Joshua only has one sibling and that sibling (an older brother) is a bowler. (? Lawn bowls, presumably? Or ten pin?)

It does look awkward though.

EDIT: Ah, Sylvia beat me to it!
    Last edited by misskarne; 04-18-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: someone posted before me :P

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Can Patrick Chan's only skating coach be a modern dance teacher?" http://www.examiner.com/ice-skating-...-dance-teacher
    (Note: The author is the same person who wrote the about.com profile article on Kathy Johnson that was linked earlier in this thread.)
    Thanks Sylvia for posting this. I read this a few hours earlier.

Of particular interest to me is this statement "she brings the best out of Patrick". I cannot help but reflect my school days where some teachers just seem to have a special touch in motivating students. Maybe it's their personalities or just the right chemistry. (Similarly, we have witnessed how leaders could bring out the best or worse of their countrymen.)

My assumption is Patrick will get a new coach but the coach must be willing to play a lesser role or share the role with Kathy with Kathy being more the 'artistic driver' and the other coach, perhaps, the 'technical driver'. Not all coaches are comfortable with shared roles and that clearly explains Christy's resignation which is understandable. The 16X9 Global News documentary showed Patrick practicing his new Ex under Kathy's guidance. I am slowly getting the inkling that Jeff Buttle may also play a part in Patrick's 'revamped team'. Of course, I may be wrong. Meanwhile content to wait for more news from SC which probably may only be forthcoming after Worlds Trophy or much later?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I would forewarn you that applying a -20pt factor for not skating clean probably wouldn't fly.

Just imagining all the negative total scores we'd see on the JGP!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Of particular interest to me is this statement "she brings the best out of Patrick". I cannot help but reflect my school days where some teachers just seem to have a special touch in motivating students. Maybe it's their personalities or just the right chemistry.
    See: Nikodinov, Angela.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Yep, jettasian, blah blah blah yet again blah,
    Pot, kettle, etc.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Kathy Johnson has accompanied Patrick to Tokyo for World Team Trophy - photo linked from: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...77#post3548677

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    and those that say that the only people who could enjoy Chan's skating are those with "an edge fetish,"
    And what's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Whose best was brought out by working with a dancer/choreographer rather than skating technician.

That will only work for someone whose basic technique is already well developed and consistent -- not early in a career.

Chan is about the same age Nikodinov was then.

vCash
    "Can Patrick Chan's only skating coach be a modern dance teacher?" http://www.examiner.com/ice-skating-...-dance-teacher
    (Note: The author is the same person who wrote the about.com profile article on Kathy Johnson that was linked earlier in this thread.)
    Thank you for providing the link to the article, Sylvia.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    And what's wrong with that?
    oh, you are brave to admit to it...and truth be told, I am an edge fetishist too

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Whose best was brought out by working with a dancer/choreographer rather than skating technician.

That will only work for someone whose basic technique is already well developed and consistent -- not early in a career.

Chan is about the same age Nikodinov was then.
    good point. I remember the improvement in Angela's skating...she just seemed freer and more comfortable with herself as a performer. And, though I do think Chan interprets music well, I would like to see him continue to grow in these ways. As you have said, his basic technique is already so solid, so I think now he can really push himself to expand his lexicon of movement. I was really impressed with the improvements he made this season, and I look forward to seeing what he does next.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Thread drift, but I don't want to miss the opportunity to sing the praises of a somewhat underrated/forgotten skater - Angela Nikodinov was one of the few ladies skaters I truly enjoyed every time she skated. So beautiful and graceful, so natural. No idea how her technik rated and I'm sure many can give more detailed analysis, but from a pure enjoyment perspective, I'd count her among the very best, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Is the author of this Joshua Farris's mother?
    No Joshua's mother's name is Erin Farris. I don't believe there is any relation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Thread drift, but I don't want to miss the opportunity to sing the praises of a somewhat underrated/forgotten skater - Angela Nikodinov was one of the few ladies skaters I truly enjoyed every time she skated. So beautiful and graceful, so natural. No idea how her technik rated and I'm sure many can give more detailed analysis, but from a pure enjoyment perspective, I'd count her among the very best, IMO.

Amazing , until today I had no idea Angela was born in my state, South Carolina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    That's total BS. How did he get rewarded with mistakes? If you read the protocol, he got penalized on his mistakes like EVERYONE else. And also, I don't even know where you get this idea that he doesn't care about his mistakes.
    What I meant with being rewarded for mistakes was certainly not that heíll get extra points for a fall, but that judges will add a little extra in other areas. As others also asked to elaborate, I give you an example what I meant to express: itís hard to explain how a performance with two big errors gets higher marks on Performance / execution and Interpretation than a performance of another athlete who skated clean (look at Patrickís and Takahashiís marks of Worlds Free).

However, I can see that Patrick is marked fair above other skaters when making no or an equal amount of mistakes. And I think itís good that judges now seem to reward great basic skating skills. At the end itís figure skating and not figure jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    And didn't he admit that he's behind the music at World?
    Being behind the music certainly was the only mistake this day!

By the way this is a discussion forum, a place where we shall feel free to exchange different opinions. I made a statement that I feel annoyed by some of Patrickís comments. Ė I didnít criticize him as a person, but just expressed how I personally perceived his comments. It ended up with a almost personal insult (someone describing my character in a negative way = as frustrated).
    I think itís not COP which may lead some persons not to like Patrick (as it has been suggested to dedicate my frustation to COP), itís rather some of his fans. If itís no longer possible to discuss strengths and weaknesses of skaters in a neutral and respectful way Ė which of course can be perceived differently by different persons as to certain extent figure skating is a matter of taste - without getting personal, there is definitely something wrong.

I start thinking that Patrick will be the next Michelle Kwan Ė great skater, but you better donít read threads with fanatic fans that donít allow for the slightest critics nor can they even stand nice words devoted to other skaters.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I don't even understand the premise of Schneider-Farris' article; she, not just whoever writes the headlines, asks "Could Patrick Chan possibly win the 2014 Olympics if his only coach is a modern dance teacher?"

Earlier, she writes that "Skate Canada announced that Chan will continue to keep his training base in Colorado Springs, and will continue to work with Johnson, but will take frequent trips to Toronto while he rebuilds his coaching team."

How could Johnson be his "only coach" if he's re-building his coaching team?

What hasn't been mentioned is whether Eddie Shipstead (sp?), the man with the jump harness in the profile to which figuristka linked upthread, will continue to work with him.

Also Johnson is not just responsible for the woo-woo, faux "So You Think You Can Dance" choreography she works on in the studio: in the same profile, she talks about the technical aspect of drawing out superb positions in his skating, in this case, his camel spin.

(I just hope she doesn't do his choreography...)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Isn't Chan dating Kathy Johnson's daughter? :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackOnTheIce View Post
    Isn't Chan dating Kathy Johnson's daughter? :-)
    Does he have any time to date?

If he is dating the daughter it might be awkward if he has to dump Kathy or the daughter.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to the profile from right before the WC (linked upthread), Chan is dating. (No names were named.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    According to the profile from right before the WC (linked upthread), Chan is dating. (No names were named.)
    I knew it! Patrick is going to skate pairs as well as singles, so that Gracie Gold won't win all the gold medals in Sochi!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think he's shorter than Tran, so maybe this is his chance to find a tiny girl from China Then he'd be the first to compete for two countries in the same Olympics

vCash
    Kathy Johnson has accompanied Patrick to Tokyo for World Team Trophy - photo linked from: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...77#post3548677
    Thank you Sylvia.
    Nice smile. He seems to be free and relaxed.
    I think the most important thing for him right now is to rekindle the passion for skating. Being with Kathy definitely works for him.
    I heartily welcome his courageous decision and can't wait to see new Patrick!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Thanks manleywoman. Never heard of Angela but I did google and watch the you-tube. Graceful skater.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast