vCash

Skating director in question on blog from Boise, Idaho. Your thoughts...

About the only rink in Boise, Idaho.
    http://boiseguardian.com/2012/04/05/...g-on-thin-ice/
    About ethics and the skating director.
    Are all skating directors that teach private lessons ethical? Or do they take advantage of their position by answering questions and the phone?
    Your thoughts...

vCash
    Are all skating directors that teach private lessons ethical?
    I don't think "All" of anything would be accurate.

Or do they take advantage of their position by answering questions and the phone?

Isn't it their position as SD to answer questions and the phone?

The article felt jumbled...in the contract the SD was permitted to coach. And the SD also had a flexible work schedule. So far that doesn't sound wrong or unique when it comes to a SD.

vCash
    I know of at least 2 skating directors in my area who give private lessons and get paid. One is at a private rink and one is at a public rink. I've never thought of it as a conflict of interest as they attract students based on their skating/coaching credentials. As far as their salaried positions go, considering that they work a lot of nights and weekends organizing shows, competitions, and dealing with staff issues, I don't think they are cheating the rink out of any time.

It could be a conflict if the skating director is assigning coaches for private lessons when the students don't have a name request. At the rinks where I skate the student requests are posted and any coach is free to respond.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I don't get this part about "using her city job as the basis for the instructor role". Presumably she has the job with the city because she knows how to run skating programs and/or a rink, which, I assume, also means she knows how to skate and teach skating. I would guess that students are coming to her because of that expertise, not because she has a job as a skating director.

IMHO this (unsigned) article reads like it was written by, or based on information, from somebody wanting to get back at the skating director for reasons that have nothing to do with her teaching private lessons.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by president View Post
    About the only rink in Boise, Idaho.
    http://boiseguardian.com/2012/04/05/...g-on-thin-ice/
    About ethics and the skating director.
    Are all skating directors that teach private lessons ethical? Or do they take advantage of their position by answering questions and the phone?
    Your thoughts...
    Sounds like small town, small market jealousy to me I wonder what the differences are in coaching qualifications among thoses having a problem. To start, someone should look at the PSA ratings of the Staff. Perhaps the Skating Directior is the most experience and qualified on the staff. In that case it would be wrong to deny skaters the benifit of the most competent training.
    Morry Stillwell