Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian men...

vCash

Russian men...

I'm re-watching my tape from worlds... The Russian men are really bothering me! Voronovs football program is beyond words, the outfit and everything, it makes me look away with embarrassment...what was he/Morozov thinking??? He also appears somewhat clumsy and heavy, even when skating "well"...

Gachinski-so blonde and purple, doing some sort of skip rope movements during the steps. Mishins's tie is matching the outfit. Geeee. Sorry for the really academic analyses...
    What's Borodulin up to these days? I miss him so much! And Nikita Mikhailov, is he still skating?

There used to be Urmanov,Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko, Abt, Klimkin...sigh and even more sigh over their basics and flow. Urmanovs lutz was mesmerizing! Don't even get me started on Yagudin and Sasha Abt... Even Tataurov and Paskevitch were watchable, though zzzzzzz... Hopefully there are better times ahead!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    I'm re-watching my tape from worlds... The Russian men are really bothering me! Voronovs football program is beyond words, the outfit and everything, it makes me look away with embarrassment...what was he/Morozov thinking??? He also appears somewhat clumsy and heavy, even when skating "well"...
    Um.... Voronov wasn't skating the football programme at worlds. So what exactly are you re-watching?

vCash
    Ah sorry, my mistake! Got confused, the football program was from one of the Grand Prix's:p But this tape is definitely from worlds....and Javi is looking good! (haven't reached the fs yet)

vCash
    Didn't Voronov skate in the football costume to different music? The preliminary round? I remember the confusion.

The steps may not be good from Gachinski but so many times this season they got level 4. It was easier to get level 4 but he maxed out the leves on a step sequence, and could do the same in spins sometimes. He had problems with the quad all season. Must have spent a lot of time doing that spread eagle 3A.

The girls are coming to the front with jumping ability and great PCs but the men are not there. Kovtun did well at the JGPF with jumps but PCS was poor. Can't get all the elements together for the men like with the ladies.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Gachinski would have been top 5 at Worlds if he had skated there like he had at Europeans this year. I haven't given up on him yet. He's still young and has a lot of talent and can improve. GO ARTUR!

vCash
    The Russian men are really bothering me! Voronovs football program is beyond words, the outfit and everything, it makes me look away with embarrassment...what was he/Morozov thinking??? He also appears somewhat clumsy and heavy, even when skating "well"...
    I’ve seen only his SP (darn Eurosport!) and my exact feeling too was what was / he Morozov thinking, as he skated his SP to “Artsakh”. – That was exactly the moment when I started thinking about Sasha Abt and his terrific SP and how much I miss him and also the other great Russian skaters of the “golden era” of Russian male figure skating. It totally distracted me from Sergej’s skate. Will he & Morozov by any chance pick up “Winter” for next season’s SP?

What's Borodulin up to these days? I miss him so much!
    I wonder about that too! I really liked him, in particular his Kalinka-SP, it looks like he is even singing with the music at some part of the programme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRE5...feature=relat)

There used to be Urmanov,Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko, Abt, Klimkin...sigh and even more sigh over their basics and flow. Urmanovs lutz was mesmerizing! Don't even get me started on Yagudin and Sasha Abt...
    I was watching old tapes after this year’s World to comfort myself a bit. Urmanov, Yagudin, Abt … I miss them so much (and if I look at some threads on the trash can, I’m not alone ). When you just think how hard the guys had to battle for a spot on the world team, you’d wish that some of them would have been born a bit later and could skate now for Russia.

However, I think that’s part of the problem: Yagudin, Plushenko, Urmanov, Kulik – they all got a chance to start their appearance at major events (e.g. Euros, Worlds) when being still very young. This of course was not the case for the younger skaters coming up the stage during the “golden era”, e.g. Shubin. In addition Russian men seemed to be cursed afterwards. There were some skaters who really looked promising, but they had just bad luck with injuries.

I for example loved Alexander Shubin – I think he had it all, the jumps (4-3-2 at TEB in 2004), the spins, the personality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MoWeiIaCo). Alexander Uspenski was another very good skater – wonderful basic skating! Sergej Dobrin too looked promising. But they all quit skating.

However, it looks like the Russian girls will be the new Russian men. They have amazing depth of talents.
    And I think it was Mishin who once stated that Russian women are only useful for working at the railway. – Time to prove this being wrong.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-15-2012 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Yes, I agree too bad that Abt wasn't born a bit later, since he was always the odd Russian man out during Kulik, Urmanov, and especially Yagudin, Plushenko days.

As far as Gachinski, I agree he is still young and has time. He definitely, IMO, needs some ballet/ flexibility training, and help with choreography and musical interpretation.

Seems this thread should be in Trash Can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Yes, I agree too bad that Abt wasn't born a bit later, since he was always the odd Russian man out during Kulik, Urmanov, and especially Yagudin, Plushenko days.
    Does anyone know what Abt is up to? The last news I heard of him was when he punched someone drunk on a plane. A video was posted of it, it was very sad.

vCash
    Yes, trash can maybe....unless anyone have any breaking news on Borodulin

Shubin was fantastic, how could I forget about him, when he won junior worlds he was flying! I saw him at test skates one year, when Klimkin was injured, and we thought he might step up, but it never happened.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    ^ Borodulin no longer has a working 3axel or quad. In other words, he's done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Gachinski would have been top 5 at Worlds if he had skated there like he had at Europeans this year. I haven't given up on him yet. He's still young and has a lot of talent and can improve. GO ARTUR!
    I agree he had a bad skate at worlds just like Joubert at the Olympics, but it's hardly a reason to think he is over.

vCash
    Shubin was fantastic, how could I forget about him, when he won junior worlds he was flying! I saw him at test skates one year, when Klimkin was injured, and we thought he might step up, but it never happened.
    He's coaching now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    He's coaching now.
    He had many injuries in his short career, didn't he? It's such a pity! I saw him just once at the Lalique Trophy and he was so expressive! A very interesting skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemestone View Post
    ^ Borodulin no longer has a working 3axel or quad. In other words, he's done
    It's not only that, but he trains in Tchaikovskaya's group

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    ^ That too. Wondered why he went there and why he stays??? Boy needs a clue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Does anyone know what Abt is up to? The last news I heard of him was when he punched someone drunk on a plane. A video was posted of it, it was very sad.
    There is an Abt appreciation thread in Trash Can with lots of video clips. Abt is married and has a son. He coaches and lives in New Jersey.

vCash
    I thought this thread would be about another topic...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I wish this would not be one of the first memories that come up when people think about him today. He sure behaved very stupid in that incident. However, he isn’t the first skater or athlete who got drunk and did something silly, but the unluckiest one as in his case of course it got filmed and posted in the net.

Update on career: After Sasha turned pro he skated in shows, participated in a soap opera called "Hot Ice" as one of the actors. Now his focus is on coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    There is an Abt appreciation thread in Trash Can with lots of video clips.
    Here is the link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83192

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post

Well, feel free to add other aspects.
    However, I guess then this thread for sure will be moved to the trash can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Plushenko !!!

happy ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemestone View Post
    ^ That too. Wondered why he went there and why he stays??? Boy needs a clue.
    Am not sure he has much choice. Who is coaching `top' russian male skaters? Morozov, Urmanov, Mishin, Rukavitsyn, Vodorezova? The first 4 have their top pupil as it is and Borodulin would be n.2 at the best. He can't go back to Vodorezova, I assume. Doublt someone like Sato or Orser woudl take him/federation would support him....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast