Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resume Writing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I think you have to look on losing a job as an opportunity for a fresh start. A chance to re-educate and maybe follow that dream. I have heard so many great stories about people who have done that. On the other hand, there are people who really can't handle it and are just negative and miserable about the whole situation. But hey life sucks anyway - it is how you deal with it that matters.
    If you are a job seeker, this is the attitude that you have to adapt or you will pull your hair out in your search. My sister tells me this on a regular basis, and I've finally come to understand that this is true. Patience is required on so many levels.....the job market is a difficult market to navigate even if you know what you're doing.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    If you are a job seeker, this is the attitude that you have to adapt or you will pull your hair out in your search. My sister tells me this on a regular basis, and I've finally come to understand that this is true. Patience is required on so many levels.....the job market is a difficult market to navigate even if you know what you're doing.
    I have always found my best job opportunities in life have come out of losing another job. When it first happens it is pretty terrifying but after a while you don't worry. And usually it is for the best.

The main thing you need to do is become as skilled in as many facets as possible. Even doing something like the IJS computers for skating is a skill that I have mastered and I can apply it to my work skills. I seriously get people who are amazed by my level of computer skills and understanding, but that hasn't been because I have sat back and waited for things to happen. I have jumped in and done it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    Sad but so true.

Some fields seem to fare better than others. And I wonder if women tend to fare better or worse than men as they age.

ETA:

Doesn't sound like you want to help her much.

She sounds like a one trick pony whose one good trick happens to be very in demand in a niche market. If that market doesn't close down on her, she is set for life.
    Well, other than telling her what to put on her resume (that's she's a notary), how to lay it out, what not to put on her resume (year of graduation, "refererences available upon request" - so 80's, man! ;-) ) and suggesting finding a transcription service through the Dayton Bar, I'm pretty much tapped out. I've been looking for and applying for jobs for years and nobody's ever helped me like this. If I had an opportunity to go back and work for someone I used to like working for, I'd do it in a heartbeat. One's in Atlanta, one's in Seattle and one's in New Hampshire. Come back!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    If I had an opportunity to go back and work for someone I used to like working for, I'd do it in a heartbeat. One's in Atlanta, one's in Seattle and one's in New Hampshire. Come back!!!
    Call them up and see if there's anything opening up. It might be worth a move if it's a good fit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Call them up and see if there's anything opening up. It might be worth a move if it's a good fit
    I've got an open offer from my ex-boss in Atlanta to move down there and she would find me a job and a place to live. Don't think so. I'm not an adventurous person. I don't like to go anywhere I am not familiar with. Sorry. That's just the way I am. The next time I move will be to a nursing home.

vCash
    Think of Atlanta as a slightly larger nursing home

Course, if you have a nice job and home where you are now, it's not really necessary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    What am I presuming? Read Japanfan's post below.

I'm saying it's totally reasonable that Susan1's cousin doesn't know how to do a resume. Someone who's fortunately held a job for decades had no need to know. But if that person is now unemployed and in search of a new job, there's no excuse not to use the plentiful resources that are out there to help her have the best resume possible.

There's everything from Monster.com (on the pricey side) to volunteer organizations where people will help you write a resume. There is nothing rude in saying there's no excuse for zero effort when there are many ways to get to what you seek -- a viable resume.
    You presume that someone who has worked for the same company for 32 years - basically walking in the job right out of school, without interviewing or writing resumes - has no excuse for not researching/creating a proper resume.
    Susan1 indicated that her cousin was not willing to learn new things - that computer stuff scares her. You expect this woman to obtain all the information she needs by using the same methods that you would and there is no excuse for not knowing how to do a proper resume.

It did not appear to me that this woman has more than an entry level job. When you lose a job after 30 years and you had never had to write up a resume or even interview for a job, it is extremely overwhelming just thinking that you have to enter a new job at the novice level with young people who most likely will not be patient with an older person.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    ^^^

True. Reminds me to be more patient and have perspective.

The unwillingness was conveyed very strongly by the original poster, but I can imagine defense mechanisms being interpreted in many different ways.

And for a certain class of office jobs (like mine), I can certainly imagine questioning what the point of all this paper pushing is, if it actually benefits anyone, and if it has anything to do with skills or intelligence.

What a coincidence, since I just went to our training center's open house. I promise to take technical and business (people) classes I've been meaning to take. I keep letting them get away because I'm too busy, but if I want to move up and on, I've got to continue to grow.

But the original poster's cousin is actually very specialized! That's always good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    It did not appear to me that this woman has more than an entry level job.
    I agree and I think to put it simply and more bluntly is: the levels of general (as opposed to specialized) skills required to do job search is greater than the levels of general skills required to do her job.

Therefore, resumes, interviews and such are not good indicators of whether she will be able to perform her job duties well. I am in a similar predicament from the other end. I am hoping to hire one entry level person to help the senior analysts on my team with the more routine portions of their jobs and I have found it surprisingly difficult. For the time being I have resorted to using interns/coops and temps.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I was thinking about this post and was wondering how are things going for your cousin, Susan1?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I was thinking about this post and was wondering how are things going for your cousin, Susan1?
    Um, she's been too busy to work on her resume!

And, a couple weeks ago when I said she had the interview? No, she wrote that she was "thinking about the interview on Thursday", but she wasn't the one being interviewed. The office she wants to go to (on her terms) was interviewing someone else. I haven't heard anything else. I'm sure they will hire her eventually because they can't find anyone else. And the other secretary that works there has been pulling for her. We'll see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123