Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I myself stayed away from this board for 3 weeks. But don't penalize yourself by not enjoying Koster at her finest. Results aside, it was her only squeaky clean competition, and so beautifully skated too.

She won in my mind and I will remember it that way. I am impressed by Sotnikova and am happy for her bronze medal.
    I'm really glad to read this, I have the same exact ranking. Your view on ladies skating is still so similar 10 years later and without Kwan. lol I would enjoy Sotnikova's performances so much more knowing she was the bronze medalist, there is so much potential in her though artistically. I fear that once she develops as an artist it won't really matter anymore though (and in large part because of results like Sochi). Carolina gave the best Olympic bronze medal performances of all time (always will have, too), so there is some comfort in that I suppose. She will always be remembered because of how she skated in Sochi, in a lot of ways it completely straightened out her overall career too and erased all of the bad performances. I personally haven't found a ladies skater to be as beautiful as Carolina was in Sochi since Michelle Kwan in 1998. (or Sasha Cohen 2004 season)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Honestly, I think this season's was just as bad. I actually practiced her opening choreographic movements in front of a mirror yesterday. It took about a minute to master.
    Were you tightening your tie? And then throwing towels on the floor in a frustrated heap while waving?

It takes me at least a minute to loop the knot right and I never get a 9.5 for PCS plus an overtime deduction
    Last edited by Karpenko; 03-14-2014 at 09:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I'm really glad to read this, I have the same exact ranking. Your view on ladies skating is still so similar 10 years later and without Kwan. lol I would enjoy Sotnikova's performances so much more knowing she was the bronze medalist, there is so much potential in her though artistically. I fear that once she develops as an artist it won't really matter anymore though (and in large part because of results like Sochi). Carolina gave the best Olympic bronze medal performances of all time (always will have, too), so there is some comfort in that I suppose. She will always be remembered because of how she skated in Sochi, in a lot of ways it completely straightened out her overall career too and erased all of the bad performances. I personally haven't found a ladies skater to be as beautiful as Carolina was in Sochi since Michelle Kwan in 1998. (or Sasha Cohen 2004 season)
    I know what you mean. She was so promising in 2003 but never fulfilled that promise. She improved and matured but never got that consistency back, until 11 years later when she finally blossomed into perfection.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I agree with everything you, Marco, and Ziggy have said, except my ranking would have easily been: 1) Kostner (she was definitely most robbed in Sochi!), 2) Sotnikova, and 3) Kim. I will always remember the 2014 Olympics as Kostner's Games; overall she shined above all others!

vCash
    Results aside, it was her only squeaky clean competition, and so beautifully skated too.
    Didn't she have clean skates when she won her world title as well? I can't remember if her short program at that worlds was clean, but I think her long program was (and it was also Carolina at her best, IMO, although with fewer triples).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    She won in my mind and I will remember it that way. I am impressed by Sotnikova and am happy for her bronze medal.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That was such a peaceful performance.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Seriously so excited to see Carolina once more in Japan. Really hope she can skate well again like Sochi. Not sure if the 3F+3T will work again in the short program, but hopefully the component marks are fair and correct now that olympic russian inflation is over. Carolina, Mao and Akiko deserve to be on the podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Didn't she have clean skates when she won her world title as well? I can't remember if her short program at that worlds was clean, but I think her long program was (and it was also Carolina at her best, IMO, although with fewer triples).
    She doubled the solo loop in the short and the 2nd flip in the free. The free was stunning, but a lutz would have made it more perfect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Seriously so excited to see Carolina once more in Japan. Really hope she can skate well again like Sochi. Not sure if the 3F+3T will work again in the short program, but hopefully the component marks are fair and correct now that olympic russian inflation is over. Carolina, Mao and Akiko deserve to be on the podium.
    Oh, I like that podium. Made it be truth.

vCash
    So happy she did such a beautiful short program one more time after Olys. Congrats to the PCS World record, she deserves it indeed! Since she's one of my all time favs, I'll miss her so much. Show us one more ethereal program!

I just found she's added to the cast of SOI tour in Japan and Super Stars on Ice. Good for her!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I will likely be inconsolable when Caro steps away from competitive ice. I will truly miss watching the most beautiful angel on the ice. Kostner has my <3 as a skating fan forever. She embodies everything I adore and appreciate about this sport and art. She's the goddess of skating!

vCash
    I think i'm going to be seriously depressed after Worlds. Skating will not be the same without Carolina, Mao and Akiko. They are the only skaters who are a joy to watch

vCash
    She IS the skating goddess of our time, musesk8r. These last few years, when she flowered after I for one thought she should quit (after 2009 Worlds - I couldnt imagine her recovering from that humiliation), have just been one gift after another. The immense smile on her face since the beginning of her SP in Sochi to now makes her seem to inhabit a celestial realm all her own. Like Yu Na, Carolina has carried the hopes of a country on her shoulders for years, and sometimes the weight of that hope was obvious (Torino). For all her talent, it took her a long time to climb that mountain and she fell many times on her way to the peak. She stuck with one coach and one choreographer for the vast majority of her career. "Slow and steady..." comes to mind. She is an example to young skaters in so many ways -- character, perseverance, artistic achievement, distinctive musical choices, speed, jumps as straight as a tree (Julia Lipnitskaya told an interviewer that Carolina was her favorite skater because of those jumps). She has been a muse for Lori Nichols - their collaboration is worthy of serious study IMO.

It took me a long time to recognize Carolina's worth, but by golly I see it now. Goddess indeed.

vCash
    Her skating is without parallel. She has defined ladies figure skating for me this season and there won't be another artist like her in this sport for another 20 or 30 years, such a pure skater from every single angle. Her mental transformation and new-found ability to approach pressure with a smile on her face is very inspiring. The quality of her skating is at an unspeakable level, it can't be defined in words IMO. The highest quality and most beautiful skating that I have ever seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    She has been a muse for Lori Nichols - their collaboration is worthy of serious study IMO.
    ITA. Waiting to see what Lori and Carolina come up with has been a source of joy for me in the past few seasons. To make an analogy…Michelle Kwan and Carolina Kostner were to Lori Nichol what Diane Keaton and Mia Farrow were to Woody Allen in terms of being muses.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    ITA. Waiting to see what Lori and Carolina come up with has been a source of joy for me in the past few seasons. To make an analogy…Michelle Kwan and Carolina Kostner were to Lori Nichol what Diane Keaton and Mia Farrow were to Woody Allen in terms of being muses.
    So Michelle Kwan = Mia Farrow and Carolina = Diane Keaton?

And Lori Nichol = Woody Allen?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Carolina was divine.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    So Michelle Kwan = Mia Farrow and Carolina = Diane Keaton?

And Lori Nichol = Woody Allen?

Nothing to do with their outside relationships, haha.

I was thinking Michelle Kwan = Diane Keaton because she was the first skater to make it big with Lori's work, and was part of Lori's first strings of successes. Then Kwan stopped collaborating with Nichol and then left competitive skating. Nichol worked with a few other people for a while and then found Carolina and found a second wave of huge successes. Although Nichol did do some wonderful programs for other skaters (like some of Suguri's routines, Mao, Daisuke, etc.).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Carolina was divine.
    She was!!!!! OMG! She was!!!

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast