Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere already, but take a look at her ISU bio as of today:

Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season 2013/2014
    Ave Maria by Franz Schubert
    Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season 2013/2014
    Bolero by Maurice Ravel

I'd have preferred Mozart, but still - good news!

(hat tip to a GS poster who spotted the update)
    Wow! Those are major changes after the disastrous GP series. It's really going to help her confidence and make her a contender for the OGM.

vCash
    The reason for the programs being changed, from her FB page:
    I withdrew from Italian Nationals because of a back injury. During this time I had some time to think about my programs and I decided to make some changes: different music, different choreography.
    I was very interested in keeping Bolero for Olympic year but I wanted the pleasure of the choreographic process and the challenge of a new program. That way I could also choose which one felt better. Due to the time off with my injury I just couldn't get Scheherazade to feel right. Together with Lori Nichol, I decided that I love the tempo, the pacing and the energy of Bolero. The short is new. We both love the Humoresque but some people loved it and some couldn't understand the story. The idea of the the yin and yang of the pure angelic and ethereal Ave Maria and the sensual yet bold Bolero just inspires me every day.
    Good luck to her at Euros and the Olympics!

vCash
    I am one of those who loved 'Humoresque' but it seems it had a limited number of fans. I have not watched her Ave Maria yet but it sounds like a more popular choice.

vCash
    Ave Maria is absolutely stunning. The potential is there for it to join the ranks of the truly iconic Olympic short programs of all time: Baiul's Black Swan and Kwan's Rach.

Bolero is brilliant, too. I hope Kostner is well enough to have gratifying skates at the Olympics. I'd love for her to medal, but I feel like at this point, she is skating to inspire herself and the medals are somewhat incidental.

vCash
    She wrote a message for her fans
    MESSAGE FROM CAROLINA IN ENGLISH:
    Euros are coming up. This year in Budapest, like 10 years ago! I participated then for the Second time and this is going to be my 12th. How exciting. I feel very happy and honoured to be back competing in this beautiful city.
    As for my skating, I withdrew from Italian Nationals because of a back injury. During this time I had some time to think about my programs and I decided to make some changes: different music, different choreography.

Short Program: Ave Maria - Schubert
    Free Skating: Bolero - Ravel

I was very interested in keeping Bolero for Olympic year but I wanted the pleasure of the choreographic process and the challenge of a new program. That way I could also choose which one felt better. Due to the time off with my injury I just couldn't get Scheherazade to feel right. Together with Lori Nichol, I decided that I love the tempo, the pacing and the energy of Bolero. The short is new. We both love the Humoresque but some people loved it and some couldn't understand the story. The idea of the the yin and yang of the pure angelic and ethereal Ave Maria and the sensual yet bold Bolero just inspires me every day.
    Thank you Lori for working with me last minute and for the fun we have on the ice.

I wish all skaters and spectators an amazing European Championship. Keep the fingers crossed:

vCash
    I'm a bit sad because I loved Humoresque, but Ave Maria is stunning and I know she can skate it fabulously. I am definitely thrilled by the return of Bolero though!!!

vCash
    Big changes for Carolina!
    I also loved Humoresque, I think I "got" where she was going with it, but I am sure Ave Maria will be just as gorgeous, and less controvertial.
    Happy about Scheherazade change. Also would have preferred Carolina changed back to Mozart ( that was amazing!!!) but I guess she has the World title with it, and it is the past. Bolero is a good choice as well.
    I just hope she is healthy and happy and does her best at Olympics. She is one of the very few who, to me, creates absolute magic on ice. Good luck Caro.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    What was the "story" of the Humoresque program?

vCash
    I like these choices - good luck Carolina

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzig View Post
    What was the "story" of the Humoresque program?

It represents... dreams of butterflies, if I am not wrong.

vCash
    What I liked about Humoresque was that it was a rarely used piece of music. I don't even know anyone that skated to it. Carolina has the sophistication to skate to that kind of piece of music. However, if her Ave Maria is as beautiful as everyone says (I have not watched it yet), so be it.

vCash
    I'm not a fan of her Ave Maria program. It reminds me too much of Lori Nichol's Ave Maria for Fumie Suguri in 2002 except I found Fumie's version to be superior. I thought Humoresque was a better program, but if Ave Maria will help her calm her nerves and skate well, then more power to Caro. I am much more excited that she dumped her Schez program and is going back to Bolero to which I felt she never skated up to her abilities. I much prefer her Mozart LP, but even with her limited difficulty, I felt Caro's 2012 Worlds LP performance was probably the best interpretation of Mozart Caro would ever do, so it's better to give Bolero more mileage.

I do appreciate Caro's Schez for one reason. If Lori had to choreograph Schez for Kwan, then Caro's routine makes me think that Lori would not have done a better job with it than Sarah Kawahara and then the Kwan team (later on in the season) did in 2002.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I loved her humoresque SP and Bolero is my least favorite LP of this quad...Too bad
    Am I the only one sad of these news ? lol

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I don't care what she skates to as long as she feels comfortable with the program. It was clear in her GP events that she did not and she said she simply couldn't make Schez work for her. I just want her to be well and in top form by Sochi because if she is and she's comfortable with her programs, she'll shine and a podium spot is well within her reach. Out of all the possible Olympic medalists, I want it for her the most so I'm for anything she does that will help her succeed.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What I liked about Humoresque was that it was a rarely used piece of music. I don't even know anyone that skated to it. Carolina has the sophistication to skate to that kind of piece of music. However, if her Ave Maria is as beautiful as everyone says (I have not watched it yet), so be it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8AR2o3zwU

This is the exhibition version of Ave Maria that Carolina skated at the Oberstdorf Gala. The choreography will be the same/similar I believe, plus her regular jumping content (3T+3T, 3Lo, 2A)

vCash
    It seems like skaters should have some sort of a refund policy in their contracts with their choreographers. If the skater skates to the new program at the start of the season X number of times and then dumps it before her Nationals then she should get a partial refund from the choreographer

I'm glad Caroline is back to Bolero again, although I do think Schez looks much better in the clip posted by jiggs. I wonder if the 3sal at the final seconds will still be in the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I do appreciate Caro's Schez for one reason. If Lori had to choreograph Schez for Kwan, then Caro's routine makes me think that Lori would not have done a better job with it than Sarah Kawahara and then the Kwan team (later on in the season) did in 2002.
    Lori wouldn't have given Kwan the same choreography that she gave Carol though. I'm sure each skater inspired Lori differently, and the Lori of 2001 was not the same Lori of 2013. Plus she would've been choreographing under the 6.0 system and not IJS in 2013. I'm sure Lori's Schez for Michelle would've been tailored to fit Michelle's style.

vCash
    I don't know whether this has been posted before but I found this a very interesting interview about Carolina's work with Lori Nichol: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/01/18/66821422

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Ave Maria is absolutely stunning. The potential is there for it to join the ranks of the truly iconic Olympic short programs of all time: Baiul's Black Swan and Kwan's Rach.

Bolero is brilliant, too. I hope Kostner is well enough to have gratifying skates at the Olympics. I'd love for her to medal, but I feel like at this point, she is skating to inspire herself and the medals are somewhat incidental.
    ITA. I hope she skates lights out at the Olympics. I will miss Humoresque, but her Ave Maria is my favourite since S/N's stunning SP.

Thank you for the article, jiggs.

vCash
    Good luck to Caro. I love her skating. She's beautiful to watch. Go Caro. Just go with whatever programs you feel most comfortable with.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast