Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 535
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    The Carolina Kostner Thread

    I thought it's about time our new world champion deserves her own news thread! She has been so great this season and I am so happy for her ... Who would have thought that after three major meltdowns and being ripped apart and written off by the Italian media and the majority of people, she would come back this confident and win pretty much everything this season! I really look up to her for never giving up and fighting for her dream. It must have been so hard for her but her love for figure skating kept her going and I admire her for that

    She has been mighty busy since Worlds, here are some news from the past two weeks:

    Photos from the reception in her hometown St. Ulrich/Urtisei: http://www.stol.it/Artikel/Panorama-...rolina-Kostner

    On the red carpet with Roberto Cavalli at the screening of her show "Opera on Ice" in Milan (btw, there will be a second show on September 22, more info on www.operaonice.eu): https://twitter.com/#!/Roberto_Caval...821440/photo/1

    Photos from the award ceremony where she won the "athlete of the year" award in South Tyrol: http://www.stol.it/Artikel/Sport-im-...ler-des-Jahres

    Receiving the "key" of the city of Verona (I don't know what is up with that but it seems to be a great honour): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoh24Zc-DV8

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    thank you for starting this thread, jiggs! I am THRILLED for Carolina! I have been a fan of hers for years, and it is so great to see her achieve her dream!

    I loved her programs this year...the SP really showed off her range, and both programs showcased her gorgeous skating skills. and she uses the music so beautifully.

    I look forward to hearing more news about her in the coming weeks/months.

    YAY Carolina

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,249
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Carolina is a joy to watch !

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    Receiving the "key" of the city of Verona (I don't know what is up with that but it seems to be a great honour): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoh24Zc-DV8
    Really nice interview.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,547
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    That's nice jiggs. Any news on Carolina can be posted here to share with all.
    It's heartening to know that hard work and persistence (of course with talent too) do pay off. Congrats to Carolina for the Worlds gold. She looks like a model on ice in her Ex. Beautiful skater with a gorgeous smile.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,887
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    31922
    Wow, terrific welcome from her home town and country!

    You know, I was kinda bit surprised to hear Carolina saying that her love of skating is not like before, that she's really fallen in love with it. I don't know what her future plane will be from now on but I think this season was really important, key moment for her. I hope she'll continue to compete, maybe she could be match the career of Irina, her (European) predecessor!

    She's got splendid skating skills and that makes up for pretty much anything.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I don't know what her future plane will be from now on but I think this season was really important, key moment for her. I hope she'll continue to compete, maybe she could be match the career of Irina, her (European) predecessor!
    She said in interviews that she still doesn't know whether she will continue or not, the chances are 50/50. It's a big decision for her and another 2 years till Sochi, that's still a long time and a big commitment. She said she wants to take her time for that decision.

    Personally, I would love for her to continue just to see two more seasons of her competitive programs. I think her and Lori work very well together and it would be nice to see what else they can come up with. On the other hand, I would certainly understand if she retires, she has been an elite skater for so long and deserves some rest!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    735
    THANK you for opening this thread Jiggs and of course also for the links.
    Love Caro! Seeing her winning gold in Nizza was my 2nd best “ladies moment” in more than 20 years of figure skating. (It has been only toped by Irina winning the gold in Moscow).

    BIG Congratulations to Caro! I really was in tear of joy that evening. Loved both of her programmes!

    And despite some people criticizing the missing Lutz – I think Caro and Michael Huth made the right choice. I’d rather watch a clean programme, that looks just light and easy, than a performance with more difficult triples that seems to be laboured and forces the skater to only focus on jumps. Caro’s skating looked so effortless. Her basic skating skills are just


    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    She said in interviews that she still doesn't know whether she will continue or not, the chances are 50/50. It's a big decision for her and another 2 years till Sochi, that's still a long time and a big commitment. She said she wants to take her time for that decision.

    Personally, I would love for her to continue just to see two more seasons of her competitive programs. I think her and Lori work very well together and it would be nice to see what else they can come up with. On the other hand, I would certainly understand if she retires, she has been an elite skater for so long and deserves some rest!
    I hope she will not retire. I’m very happy she now seems to have learned to hold together her nerves in competition. Hope she will continue like this till Olympics Games in Sochi. I so much wish her to win a medal there. Whatever she decides to do, I just wish her the very best for her future.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-14-2012 at 04:20 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    663
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Love Carolina. I remember the first time I saw her at the Europeans in 03'. I've been a fan ever since.
    She has had many high points & many low points but has always shown grace & beauty.
    I really felt for her during the Turin Olympics. Many would not have recovered from such a drama. But the very next season she won the first of her European titles because she is a fighter.
    I wish her nothing but the best.
    I would love to see her put this seasons free program away & try something non-classical next season but then bring the Mozart program back for Olympic year. She seems to have really connected with the music.
    Carolina is a true Champion

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Carolina just posted a thank you note and some personal photos from the past two weeks to her Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/carolinakostner

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Love Carolina. I remember the first time I saw her at the Europeans in 03'. I've been a fan ever since.
    I too saw her first in 2003. Here are some links to revive memories:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBz7...elated http://– 2003 World SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28djAK9g4-0– 2003 Euros LP

    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I really felt for her during the Turin Olympics. Many would not have recovered from such a drama. But the very next season she won the first of her European titles because she is a fighter.
    Yes she is! It must have been devastating to have stellar practices so many times and then sub-par performances in competitions. Most people probably would have given in. After 2010 I too thought that Caro will never learn to handle her nerves. Rarely in my life I’ve been so happy to be proven wrong.

    Need to add here, that I'm pretty much impressed by her personality as well. She really seems to be a very nice girl and quite humble considering the talent she is and the results she had in her career. Great skater, great character!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15381
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    And despite some people criticizing the missing Lutz – I think Caro and Michael Huth made the right choice. I’d rather watch a clean programme, that looks just light and easy, than a performance with more difficult triples that seems to be laboured and forces the skater to only focus on jumps. Caro’s skating looked so effortless. Her basic skating skills are just
    I don't think I have ever seen her jump so well. It wasn't just that she did the jumps but the beautiful quality they had. When it works it is a pleasure to watch.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    663
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen her jump so well. It wasn't just that she did the jumps but the beautiful quality they had. When it works it is a pleasure to watch.
    She looks like she really has belief in herself. Instead of being scared.
    Also, she seems to take more time instead of rushing.
    Pure bliss watching her this season

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree Carolina has learned how to pace herself -- to slow down and feel the music. She has also seemed to gain more confidence and belief in herself and her skating. That's wonderful to see.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    She looks like she really has belief in herself. Instead of being scared.
    Also, she seems to take more time instead of rushing.
    Pure bliss watching her this season
    To me it looks as if she is not only taking more time to set up jumps, but if she also enters them a bit slower. When watching her earlier it was not only her who seemed to be scared, actually it was scary to watch her as a viewer. It was scary & breathtaking at the same time to watch her when she went into the jumps with racing car speed.

    BTW I thought it would be a nice idea to post here step by step chronologically all of Carolina's competitive programmes. - There are skaters, whose programmes I can just keep watching over and over again and Caro is such a skater for me. Here is season 2004 and 2005:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huwrd...eature=related - 2004 SP at Worlds

    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTgwMDk4NDI4.html - 2004 Euros LP

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHrW...eature=related - 2005 SP at Worlds

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkV2...feature=relmfu - 2005 LP at Worlds

    The flow and ease of her moving accross the ice is gorgeous.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    277
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Wow, terrific welcome from her home town and country!
    I had the great honour to be there and celebrate with her and all the people who love her. I´ll always remember this! She´s a great skater and a great person! She´ll always be one of my all-time favourite skaters! I´m soooo happy she won worlds! Still can´t believe it´s true ;-) But I´m soooo happy it is :-)

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I love this program, it just flooooows and she seems like she is flying. Especially love the entrance into her 3loop, as well as the step sequence, she is so fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    This is one of the programs that Browning choreographed for her. She really looks like a fairy and skates that way too! Kurt also did the 2005-2006 FP to Vivaldi, which was excellent too. Both programs look extremely difficult in terms of transitions and steps and again, she is just so incredibly fast, like a breath of fresh air! Sometimes I wish she would perform these programs again now... and wonder what they would look like. She has improved so much and learned to take her time for each movement and element. I wonder if she will ever work with Kurt again. As much as I love Lori's programs (loved this and last year's), I think Kurt would do wonders with her nowadays!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    735
    Here come seasons 2006, 2007 and 2008. - As far as possible I opted for posting clean or almost clean programmes. So they are not neccessarily related to competitive success. If one thinks Caro skated any of the posted programmes better at another event, please feel free to add a link.

    Season 2005/2006:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iOtQ...eature=related - 2006 SP at OG in Torino
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NBNa9X-4MU - 2006 Euros LP

    Season 2006/2007:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSCT15IRpU - 2007 Worlds SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh2ml...eature=related - 2007 Euros LP

    Season 2007/2008:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdNyq...eature=related - SP at 2007 CoC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcC3MX1xVfM - 2008 Worlds LP

    Enjoy!

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    ...
    Need to add here, that I'm pretty much impressed by her personality as well. She really seems to be a very nice girl and quite humble considering the talent she is and the results she had in her career. Great skater, great character!
    ITA. The Canadian commentators (including her choreographer, Lori) have on numerous occasions remarked on how lovely she is as a person.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen her jump so well. It wasn't just that she did the jumps but the beautiful quality they had. When it works it is a pleasure to watch.
    ITA

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    I had the great honour to be there and celebrate with her and all the people who love her. I´ll always remember this! She´s a great skater and a great person! She´ll always be one of my all-time favourite skaters! I´m soooo happy she won worlds! Still can´t believe it´s true ;-) But I´m soooo happy it is :-)
    How wonderful that you were there to witness it all in person. Lucky you!

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •