vCash

What is ment by a Skater's Rank?

Sy,I've beenhearing them talk about this. What does that mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Sy,I've beenhearing them talk about this. What does that mean?
    The ISU maintains two official rankings. The primary one (used to determine things like which skaters need to go to the qualifying round) is based on results over 3 seasons (with the prior two declining in importance). They also keep a separate ranking based on current year results only. I don't know what, if anything, the current year ranking is used for.

There are links to both from this page:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    The ISU maintains two official rankings. The primary one (used to determine things like which skaters need to go to the qualifying round) is based on results over 3 seasons (with the prior two declining in importance). They also keep a separate ranking based on current year results only. I don't know what, if anything, the current year ranking is used for.

There are links to both from this page:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html
    From ISU Communication no. 1629 linked from that page:

"... “ISU World Standings” which is taking into account results of the preceding two seasons and the current season and remains the basis for the draws at ISU Events and part of the criteria for the selection of competitors for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and other ISU Events designated by the Council.

... the “ISU Season’s World Ranking” which is based on the results of the current ongoing season only. It has the main purpose to reflect the current competitive performances of the skaters and give the public and the media an indication of the current actual competitiveness of the skaters."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For a couple of seasons, World Ranking (based on just that season) was used to give year-end bonuses to the top few skaters, and it was a lot of money.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    What do they mean when they show a Skater's curent Rank onTV. or a Website?

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    On TV, the current rank means the skater's placement after the short program.

vCash
    Just for the Short Program? What about on a Profile on a Skater's Site?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    What about on a Profile on a Skater's Site?
    Can you provide a link for us to see?

Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    On TV, the current rank means the skater's placement after the short program.
    Or "current rank" could mean where the skater or team has placed after they skated their short or long program with the event still in progress and more skaters left to compete.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-15-2012 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Can you provide a link for us to see?

Or "current rank" could mean where the skater or team has placed after they skated their short or long program with the event still in progress and more skaters left to compete.
    I think you might be right. As I saw it listed under Photos on the Figure Skating/Ice-Dancing site. It's a Photo site. If anyones familar with it.