Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Axl Rose declines Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame nomination, won't attend ceremony

Anyone here a Guns N' Roses fan or know the backstory? Axl Rose is refusing to be inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame with his original bandmates, and apparently he sent a looooong letter to the HOF explaining his reasons, although I'm still confused about his reasoning. Does he just hate the original GNR bunch that much?

Early this morning, Pop & Hiss received a letter from Guns N' Roses co-founder Axl Rose, through his publicist, announcing his decision to not attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday in Cleveland. Written under the greeting, "To The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern," Rose explained specifically why he was declining his induction into the Cleveland music institution.

The band, born in Los Angeles in 1985, was announced as an inductee in February alongside the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and Donovan, among others, leading to instant speculation whether the five core members of Guns N' Roses circa "Appetite for Destruction" would appear together for the first time since 1993. Guitarist Slash officially departed the band in 1996, followed soon thereafter by other members Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum (original drummer Steven Adler had left a few years earlier, as had Izzy Stradlin).

Rose retained the rights to the band's name, and over the next decade devoted his time to creating the album "Chinese Democracy," touring with a revived Guns N' Roses, and defiantly dismissing any suggestion of a reunion with the original members of the band.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Axl is a diva , and he doesn't like anything that doesn't revolve around him or cater to him.

The letter seems to indicate that the HOF is inviting people to stand on stage with G'n'R that Axl doesn't think belong there. That's one reason. Also, the stuff in the letter about revisionist history - I'm guessing that refers to Duff McKagan's recent book which was IMHO pretty realistic and honest, but which Diva Axl probably feels isn't laudatory enough toward him and his amazing talents

I'm not surprised this has happened, frankly. If Axl can't run the show, he won't show up.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Does he just hate the original GNR bunch that much?
    Axl is the only original member left in GnR, and he doesn't like that fact mentioned because that affects ticket sales. The commercial for the 2012 tour obstructs the faces of all the current members except Axl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The letter seems to indicate that the HOF is inviting people to stand on stage with G'n'R that Axl doesn't think belong there. That's one reason.
    That's bizarre. Axl thinks certain GNR former members don't deserve to be part of the induction?
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Axl is the only original member left in GnR, and he doesn't like that fact mentioned because that affects ticket sales. The commercial for the 2012 tour obstructs the faces of all the current members except Axl.
    He's delusional if he thinks people haven't figured out that he's the only original member left in the band.

vCash
    He's delusional if he thinks people haven't figured out that he's the only original member left in the band.
    Correct, but attending the ceremony with the original lineup would be a tacit admission on Axl's part that the current GnR lineup bites the big one.

Watch me move
    vCash
    That's bizarre. Axl thinks certain GNR former members don't deserve to be part of the induction?
    Apparently. According to Entertainment Weekly's website,
    In laying out his relationships with the other Gunners being inducted, he noted that he’s on good terms with both Izzy Stradlin and Duff McKagan, though he was upset by comments that Steven Adler made regarding a classic lineup reunion following some shows in 2010. He does not mention Slash in the letter.
    I don't know if either Slash or Adler were going to be at the ceremony, but regardless, Axl seems to think that GNR's success and reputation is his alone and he doesn't want to share it.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Good for him! there are many, many more musicians who have much, much, more influence on Rock & Roll then Axl and entourage. I would like to add...one Great Album, one mediocre album & EP, one steaming hot pile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Good for him! there are many, many more musicians who have much, much, more influence on Rock & Roll then Axl and entourage. I would like to add...one Great Album, one mediocre album & EP, one steaming hot pile.

Out of curiosity, any other rock bands from that era who you think should be inducted ahead of GNR? What about Heart?

vCash

Out of curiosity, any other rock bands from that era who you think should be inducted ahead of GNR? What about Heart?
    The biggest snubs are for Rush, Heart, Kiss and Chicago. Freakin' Donovan got in before any of these bands...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Freakin' Donovan got in before any of these bands...
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    Saffron's mad about me
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    She's just mad about me

They call me mellow yellow
    (Quite rightly)
    (Quite rightly)

3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    The biggest snubs are for Rush, Heart, Kiss and Chicago.
    Yeah, well at least they had the good sense to nominate Joan Jett. Hopefully she'll actually get inducted soon.

vCash
    I've never even heard of Donovan...

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    I've never even heard of Donovan...
    "Hail Atlantisssssss...."

To quote Cat Stevens (whom you may not know either) - "Oh very young..."
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    The biggest snubs are for Rush, Heart, Kiss and Chicago. Freakin' Donovan got in before any of these bands...
    I'm still bitter the B-52's aren't even nominated. No band will ever match their voids

vCash
    I'm wondering when/if Carly Simon will ever be inducted into the Rock & Roll HOF. I'd love to see that happen.

vCash
    What are the criteria, even? Wondering if GNR, Red Hot Chili Peppers are legendary enough...

vCash
    What are the criteria, even? Wondering if GNR, Red Hot Chili Peppers are legendary enough...

Artists are eligible twenty five years after their first record is released. Criteria include influence and significance of the artist' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll but then again you have to really define what "rock and roll" is. Ex. abba, james taylor, miles davis, gladys knight & the pips, dusty springfield & others made it to the HOF.

Performers being inducted this year incude, but are not limited to:

Guns & Roses
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Beastie Boys
    Donovan
    Laura Nyro

Performers not being inducted this year, or any previous year who I think should be and have been:

Boston
    Chicago
    Deep Purple
    Dire Straits
    Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
    Heart
    Iron Maiden
    Journey
    Kiss
    Nirvana
    Roxy Music
    Rush
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Ted Nugent
    Yes

I quit caring about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a long time ago. They just don't seem to know or really care about good music.

vCash
    this^
    Donovan was a BIG star in the seventys. He was one of the so called
    British Invasion. Really cute too.
    Actor Donovan Leach (sp?) is his son.
    Actress Ione Sky is his daughter.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Performers not being inducted this year, or any previous year who I think should be and have been:

Boston
    Chicago
    Deep Purple
    Dire Straits
    Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
    Heart
    Iron Maiden
    Journey
    Kiss
    Nirvana
    Roxy Music
    Rush
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Ted Nugent
    Yes
    Pat Benatar should be in the R&RHoF. And Suzi Quatro as well. While Quatro didn't have a big career in the USA, she was a trailblazer and was really big in England in the 70's and still tours regularly throughout other parts of the world (Japan, Australia, Germany, etc.).
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Pat Benatar should be in the R&RHoF. And Suzi Quatro as well. While Quatro didn't have a big career in the USA, she was a trailblazer and was really big in England in the 70's and still tours regularly throughout other parts of the world (Japan, Australia, Germany, etc.).

I like them both and while Suzi Quatro and Pat rocked the waves in the late 70's/80's I dont consider their US music influence R&RHoF worthy, maybe in England they are a shoe in. jmo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast