Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

How is Courtney Hicks doing?

Just wondering if anyone knows how Courtney Hicks is doing after her injury at the JGP in Milan. I wish her all the best!

vCash
    The following encouraging news was posted on January 28 in the 2012 US Nationals forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    Courtney has been spotted recently, starting out the re-training process. She appears to be making good progress and seems to be enthusiastic regarding her coming back to the ice. So much, that I overheard a rink coach tell her not to overdo it, as she just got back.

She will be back next season, to be sure.

vCash

Youtube Video

Posted on Youtube as of January 5, 2012. Is it my imagination or does it look like she's placing less than full weight on the left leg?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCCzw_WgyN0

vCash
    thanks for the updates, I have been eagerly waiting to hear how she's been doing after reading her last journal entry.

I'm also wondering what her competition plan is likely to turn out for next season. I suppose she remains in the junior circuit internationally, but is she likely to get at least one JGP competition from USFS assuming Gao, Gold, and Lam place collectively well enough at JW to bring the maximum # of JGP spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Is it my imagination or does it look like she's placing less than full weight on the left leg?
    There is one picture where she has her left leg off the ground but that could be part of the exercise, maybe alternating feet? You can't really get a sense of someone's weight-bearing by looking at a few pictures. At this point, it's only been about 5 months since her surgery. It can take up to a year to fully heal from a fracture as well as from surgery. It think it's great she's allowed on the ice - that means that the fracture has at least fully come together. When I broke my leg, I wasn't allowed to skate until 6 months, and was still restricted on my left leg for a few more.

vCash
    Actually it's not even been 4 months since she got hurt. So of course she's probably not putting full weight on her left leg yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Actually it's not even been 4 months since she got hurt. So of course she's probably not putting full weight on her left leg yet.
    Ooops, you're right! It was early October that she was injured. It's pretty amazing that she's back on the ice.

vCash
    I am sorry, but I missed this whole story. What happened to Courtney Hicks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    She broke her leg last fall while training. I think it was from a wonky jump takeoff. She had surgery in October and has been recovering since.
    Last edited by RockTheTassel; 02-05-2012 at 06:25 AM.

vCash
    She just performed at the Klamath Falls show in Oregon 2/4 with Ryan Bradley and Keegan Messing, so she is skating, don't know what she's doing though technique wise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    She broke her leg last fall while training. I think it was from a wonky jump takeoff. She had surgery in October and has been recovering since.
    Unless I 'm unaware that she broke her leg more than once this season, no not in her training, she broke her tibia in her freeskate at JGP Italy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by champs View Post
    Unless I 'm unaware that she broke her leg more than once this season, no not in her training, she broke her tibia in her freeskate at JGP Italy.
    correct.

Great to hear that she is back on the ice and eager!

vCash
    If your going to get hurt it might as well be when your young like Courtney is since when your her age you heal a lot faster then us old folks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    In Courtney's own words (Jan. 8, 2012):
    http://www.courtneyhicks.com/courtne...den_Italy.html

Banned Member
    vCash
    Courtney should consider Pairs. She injured her left leg IE not the landing leg for counter clockwise throw jumps. She is very talented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by champs View Post
    For some reason, I thought it was before she left for Italy. Thanks for the correction.

vCash
    Coach/choreographer Phillip Mills and Ashley Wagner are quoted during 2012 Four Continents in this update (IceNetwork article dated Feb. 10, 2012):
    2011 U.S. junior champion Courtney Hicks, who made her Junior Grand Prix debut last fall and won the JGP in Australia, is on the comeback trail after suffering a season-ending injury competing at her second JGP in Milan.

The 16-year-old fell on the opening jump in her free skate, detaching a piece of bone from the tibia in her right leg. She underwent surgery on Oct. 12.

Mills, one of Hicks' coaches in Aliso Viejo, Calif., had good news about his pupil.

"She's working on next season's programs," he said. "She's jumping again, doing double Axel and triple Salchow."

"She's doing really well," Wagner said of her training partner. "She's back on the ice skating and has plenty of time to work on all her other elements, other than jumps. Poor girl, I think she's going a little bit stir crazy.

"I definitely think that girl has enough drive, and if she wants to compete, she will compete next season."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Coach/choreographer Phillip Mills and Ashley Wagner are quoted during 2012 Four Continents in this update (IceNetwork article dated Feb. 10, 2012):
    Extremely good news that she is now back on the ice training again

vCash
    Nice of Ashley to weigh in and give her analysis.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    thanks for the heads-up Sylvia! I hope Ashley's win at 4CC and her commitment to choreography gives Courtney good inspiration and a stronger motivation to compete, and reversely Courtney's challenge to master difficult elements give Ashley an incentive to include a 3-3 combo or 2A3T in her free program. And while restarting her jumps I hope Courtney will work hard on eliminating her flutzing and that severe underrotation with her second 3R.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast