Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This.

Do they have any range though?

They can do cutesy-pootsey programs well but remember their tango fail from two seasons ago.
    I thought the multiple lyrical programs of theirs I posted upthread were reasonably non-cutesy-pootsey.

vCash
    I think they should go classical. Chopin is not a bad idea. After all they had a lot of sucess with cinema paradiso's music. The soundtrack was used only as background music and they were not relating to the story of the movie but it worked well.
    Maybe a Japanese themed FD since they've always been sucessful in thoses programs (06-07 FD, 07-08 OD and 09-10 OD) and have never done one while seniors.

why for me hubbell and hubbell shouldnt have broken up despite you fans.
    You really think so? Despite the results H/D had this year? I was was a HUGE fan of H/H but she just outgrew him and it did not work out anymore. But I do miss keiffer a lot!

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Why not? She did for V/M in the year before the Olympics.
    I was under the impression that Pink Floyd was a lot more Igor's idea than Marina's.

vCash
    I dont know but I dont think they will be moving up anytime soon. Pechalat & Bourzat will probably slip out of the top 3 but not below the Shibutanis until they retire, barring a huge Moscow like spill perhaps. With Worlds in Ontario, Weaver & Poje will win atleast the bronze next year and pull way ahead of the Shibutanis. The Russians will have 2 or 3 teams ahead of them in the lead up to Sochi, and with the behind the scenes push that will surely to these teams I cant see the Shibutanis doing anything to stop that.

We will see after 2014 if they have improved enough, developed their artistry enough, and if they still have the motivation getting nowhere near their 2011 #3 spot in the World to that point.

vCash
    I like their skating but their look is too young. They are college students now are they not? I would like to see them with a more sophisticated look and choreography.

vCash
    I think Maia is still in high school? She was born in summer of 1994, so she is till 17; probably in her last year of HS?

vCash
    other than breaking up, maybe they could try the "mysterious" or "new age" route, say use eastern music to tone down their cutesiness and bring some intellectual sophistication to their programs. or they could also go completely contemporary like skate to current pop-dance songs.

vCash
    The Shibs might have a political battle in front of them but in terms of their skating potential it's endless...

They have an amazing technical base that's still growing. Alex's worlds twizzle-snafu notwithstanding you can tell they have a real natural comfort level and speed in their blades. There's none of that straining and worry that I feel with other couples. Their partnering with each other in terms of positioning is meticulous.

Their FD and initial SD were miscues this year and didn't really help them but there's so much they can do. They're natural performers as well with the ability to light up a crowd. They both have a fire to their performance quality that belies all of the elegance and clean lines.

Some ideas (both amateur and professional numbers):

Cat burglars a la D/S' 2006 FD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjq-N...eature=related)

Torvill and Dean's 1990 pro-number Revolution/Imagine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9MS1f3WAk)

Torvill and Dean's 1990 Oscar Tango (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-N3F...eature=related) Actually many T/D numbers aren't inherently about man-woman romantic/sexual love just imaginative and interesting-- one of my all time favorites was their Paso Doble OSP with Chris as matador and Jane as cape from the 1984 Olympics.

Basically, there's tons of themes (classical pieces, soundtracks from movies, period pieces, etc) that they could do justice to. I for one look forward to seeing what they come up with in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    they can't. that's why they can never be dynamic
    and them being siblings made it worst, I don't think you can
    go on for seasons doing all cutesy and juniorish

they have better chance of being successful if they break up their
    partnership and find decent new partners.
    one of them will bound to be successful
    They're so young, though and range often takes time to develop. I honestly think what they need most is time and experience, more opportunities to explore and expand their lexicon of movements and experiment with different themes. And they're young, so they've got time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I think Maia is still in high school? She was born in summer of 1994, so she is till 17; probably in her last year of HS?
    Yes, she's just finishing up and I believe she tweeted that she got accepted to UMich. She'll be in good company

vCash
    They are still young. They have time to develop. Their bronze at worlds last year was a fluke. They are still developing and after the retirement of V&M and D&W their turn will come.

vCash
    Since the ISU has signalled that hiphop is an OK style (it is now featued in the Junior ice dance SD), I'd like to see the Shibs do a hiphop FD. It would be great with their quick feet, and the lack of romance wouldn't be any problem at all.

Or maybe skate to something like Men Without Hats "Safety Dance"
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 04-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    What they need most ? Personnality. Because it looks on the ice that they have none.
    IMO of course.
    By curiosity, I watched their Compulsories from 2006 to 2009. It seems they have personnality, at least, she is better than him and seems to have more personnality. I'm surprised their programs as senior don't show any !

vCash
    Since the ISU has signalled that hiphop is an OK style (it is now featued in the Junior ice dance SD), I'd like to see the Shibs do a hiphop FD. It would be great with their quick feet, and the lack of romance wouldn't be any problem at all.

Or maybe skate to something like Men Without Hats "Safety Dance"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Interesting idea.

vCash
    It's a Canadian band, and of course, worlds are in Ontario...

Another Men without Hats dance number that might work is Pop Goes The World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUUtf7gOe8

The video even has a pseudo skating pond in it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    I liked the concept of their FD this season, but given the similarity in both music and dance style, it likely was too soon on the heels of last year's, particularly given the splash they made with that one.

I should think, though, that with a year to go before Sochi they're more likely to try something unusual than at any other time. What's worth recalling are their junior programs; while not every program was entirely successful, for whatever reason, they presented a rather different face than what they've demonstrated with just two senior FDs:

2007 Junior Nationals (Novice) FD - Memoirs of a Geisha

2008 Junior Nationals FD - Sakura Variations

2009 Junior Worlds FD - Cinema Paradiso

2010 Junior Worlds FD - Tango

They and Team S/Z (behind all but the first linked program) have it in them to give the Shibutanis more than just foxtrots and swing, and I'd be shocked if they didn't return to a more serious route for this season's FD, especially as a contrast with the Yankee Polka SD. I'm curious if they would go lyrical again, though, or try something more modern. One thing I love about them is their sheer fluidity and grace -- their elegance could really be highlighted with a return to something more balletic, which would also help break that stylistic image they may be developing as seniors.

Seconded! I couldn't stand their SD at Finlandia and the GP series, but the dancier revisions (and somewhat improved music) made for the latter half of the season were fun.
    Thank you for posting these videos--I hadn't seen all of these performances before. I just love the ease with which they use their blades...such pure technique.

I also enjoyed the bit with the samba basic, and Tracy Wilson loved that part too. Alex was channeling Corky Ballas, I thought. Samba was great for them as a brother-sister team, because it isn't necessarily romantic in its nature.

vCash
    I like the final part of there SD this year. It was fast, dancing and funny.
    I like Shibs Japan OD - they were on fire.
    I think in there age they need to do something like this.
    I think they could made good work with Platov. His work with brother-sister team were really great!
    Last edited by pani; 04-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.

vCash
    Maia has just been accepted to UMich, so Platov as a coach is not likely to happen. Going to Platov for choreo might be a good thing though; he did a great job for the Kerrs. Peter Tchernyshev also did choreo for Kerrs.

vCash
    Maia has just been accepted to UMich, so Platov as a coach is not likely to happen. Going to Platov for choreo might be a good thing though; he did a great job for the Kerrs. Peter Tchernyshev also did choreo for Kerrs.
    If they will not change something, they could be out of the podium at next season. H-D were not so far and they skate only 1 season together, so they will improve.
    C-B are team who could improve a lot in next season.
    So Shibs have choice- they want to be skaters or they want to be studience more.

vCash
    I think this is a young team that just needs some time and experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast