Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I usually don't mind commentary between skaters, but definitely don't want to hear it DURING the skate.

Where I mind it between skaters is if it's all trash talking. We sat in front of some folks at Skate America and they were big fans of certain competitors. All they could do was compare others to their faves and discuss how their faves were SOOOO much better. Unfortunately when their absolute favorite had a less than stellar performance, the comments got nastier and nastier.

It's too bad now, because while I was neutral on their favorite before the competition, they were so obnoxious that I now can't bring myself to root for their skater. Definitely not the skater's fault, but I can't help it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I don't think commentary is rude in general. The rude part is when you shout your commentary instead of quietly sharing your thoughts with whoever you came with.
    I agree!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I don't expect people be not talk at all but there is a time to chat and a time to watch. There is plenty of time between the bows and the start of the next skater to chat and make comments.

As for the texting thing I figure that eventually there will be an entire generation of people with carpal tunnel thumbs which means no more texting.

If you have paid money to sit with your friends, should you not enjoy the company of those friends? Of course not, you spend that time tweeting and then talk during the skaters preformances instead.
    Last edited by sue1967; 04-13-2012 at 07:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I sat in the nose bleed seats for 2009 Worlds in LA and Sandra Bezic and David Wilson sat right behind me. They were quite the chatter boxes but I liked listening to the skater news. Unfortunately, the woman sitting a seat over from me did not and turned around and said something to the effect of shut up. They left soon after but when Sandra stood up, I think she had her phone on her lap because it fell and I heard glass shatter. Whoops.
    I would have enjoyed having your seat. People like Sandra and David have been in the sport all their lives. They're jaded and not as easily amused. They would rather catch up on gossip. I can relate.

Which event were you watching, and how far into it were you? To compete in a Worlds, all you have to do is be the best skater that your country has to offer, like Jamaica's national champion. If you were watching long programs, there's no sense in showing up until the last group of skaters gets on the ice for warmup. Those are the real contenders.
    Last edited by Johnny_Fever; 04-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    If you were watching long programs, there's no sense in showing up until the last group of skaters gets on the ice for warmup. Those are the real contenders.
    There was a time when I thought so too. But then I learned that top class skaters who are capable of skating the best FS can end up in the second, or even third to last group after an unsuccessful SP, and still be able to contend for medals or at least high places (like Volosozhar/Trankov this syear ), and that future champions can come out of the lower groups (in my opinion, it's interesting to try to guess who those will be, and then watch them progress in the next seasons), and that even some skaters from the first group, while not so technically good, can be interesting in a way, if they truly enjoy skating and performing.

vCash
    As for people talking during the skating, I too think that you either have to talk very quietly, or if you are not able to do that, better shut up or don't come to such events at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    top class skaters who are capable of skating the best FS can end up in the second, or even third to last group after an unsuccessful SP, and still be able to contend for medals or at least high places (like Volosozhar/Trankov this syear ), and that future champions can come out of the lower groups (in my opinion, it's interesting to try to guess who those will be, and then watch them progress in the next seasons), and that even some skaters from the first group, while not so technically good, can be interesting in a way, if they truly enjoy skating and performing.
    This

vCash
    I really don't find it happens too often. However, the "Shhh" people annoy me. During an event where the Skatebug was used (probably 09 4CC?), I think it was Liz Manley or Kurt who was doing the commentary. They were being their usual selves (ya know, they talk alot) and people were texting them not to talk so much during the performances. This is SKATEBUG! Turn the damn thing off if you don't want to hear conversation during a performance, you nimrods!

vCash
    One time I was at an SOI show (front row) and the lady next to me was up for a convo. Now, I don't mind a little company (I go by myself to these things), but when it came to the show, she'd constantly make fun of her non-favorites. I was attempting to get pics of all the skaters and she'd ask why I was taking pics of a certain skater (that she didn't fancy)...I'm like, come on man. And when skater would make a mistake, she'd effectively laugh at it. I think it dawned on me at that point- up until then, I never talked skating with any live person. I always confine my discussion to online forums since I don't know anyone who follows/cares in person.

But other than that episode, I've had no issues at all. Then again, I only attend shows, not competitions.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So whispering is a lost art?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I really don't find it happens too often. However, the "Shhh" people annoy me. During an event where the Skatebug was used (probably 09 4CC?), I think it was Liz Manley or Kurt who was doing the commentary. They were being their usual selves (ya know, they talk alot) and people were texting them not to talk so much during the performances. This is SKATEBUG! Turn the damn thing off if you don't want to hear conversation during a performance, you nimrods!
    The loudest "Shhh" I ever heard was right before Kurt Browning's long program at the 1990 World's in Halifax, Nova Scotia. When Kurt first got on the ice, there was load cheering as only Canadian skating fans can do. The second Kurt made it to his starting position, the whole audience "Shhh'd" as if to say, "Shut up. He has to concentrate."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So whispering is a lost art?
    sometimes that pesky music makes it hard to whisper

vCash
    A friend of mine suspects that they turn the volume up higher for the higher ranking skaters. There might be some truth to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    There was a time when I thought so too. But then I learned that top class skaters who are capable of skating the best FS can end up in the second, or even third to last group after an unsuccessful SP, and still be able to contend for medals or at least high places (like Volosozhar/Trankov this syear ), and that future champions can come out of the lower groups (in my opinion, it's interesting to try to guess who those will be, and then watch them progress in the next seasons), and that even some skaters from the first group, while not so technically good, can be interesting in a way, if they truly enjoy skating and performing.
    ITA. I have only been to one competition (Free Dance portion of Skate Canada International 2010), and I can honestly say I enjoyed seeing all of the teams who competed. There was something from each program that I could appreciate because they were all very skilled and had something to offer. I know this is not the same as worlds, where you have many more teams, but as long as they enjoy what they're doing, I'll enjoy watching them do it

I once sat in front of a chatty little group at CSOI, but I didn't say anything because the man responsible for most of the chatter just sounded so enthusiastic about being there so I figured he just couldn't contain his excitement. It helped that he wasn't being obnoxious; he only had very kind things to say about the skating (and the costumes).

I am lucky I haven't encountered some of the fans that others on this thread have, though. It is sad because I do think it shows disrespect to the skaters and the people around them. and I don't understand the compulsion to text/facebook/tweet, etc. can't that wait til after the program?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    and I don't understand the compulsion to text/facebook/tweet, etc. can't that wait til after the program?
    They want to be the FIRST one to break the results and news to their friends!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    The loudest "Shhh" I ever heard was right before Kurt Browning's long program at the 1990 World's in Halifax, Nova Scotia. When Kurt first got on the ice, there was loud cheering as only Canadian skating fans can do. The second Kurt made it to his starting position, the whole audience "Shhh'd" as if to say, "Shut up. He has to concentrate."

Now that's a good shhh! totally appropriate in the situation!

vCash
    This is probably one of the worst I've heard...

Our rink held an ISA test today, and it was quite large for us - 8 individuals (1 Prelim, 2 Elementary 1, 3 Primary, and 2 Novice) as well as a couple taking their Elementary 1 Dances. (I have the Canasta Tango stuck in my head now.)

I was in charge of collecting the music and ferrying it about, so in between I got to watch the skaters (the joke is that I'm an easy volunteer to get - promise an afternoon watching skating for free and I'm in! ) I stood down the end watching with two of the other committee members and one of the coaches.

Well. This coach clearly had an issue with some new rule the ISA wants to implement (I wasn't quite sure what it was) and she proceeded to have a VERY animated discussion with one of the committtee members during the first two Primary testers! She wasn't even trying to lower her voice, and the girls were testing! I couldn't believe my ears.

The other committee member with me had a daughter testing; she told the coach to shut up or take the discussion outside. The discussion ended after that, but the coach looked very put out. I just couldn't believe it. A COACH, DURING A TESTING SESSION. Surely, surely, surely she should know better!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post

Its like women who crack their gum. I HATE IT!!! If i hear it in the movies, i'm outa there...snap...snapp snapp... DRIVES ME NUTS.
    OMG you're my new favorite person. So many people do this and don't they realize how irritating that sound is? It's a sound that makes me want to punch someone it's that bad. And I don't consider myself violent!

If you want the best chance of changing their behavior don't wait until you are sooooo irritated that you hit them with sarcasm or something very intense. People get their backs up very easily and it can be counter productive.

I had a woman next to me on a plane cracking her gum. I knew I wouldn't make it through the flight because I can hear it through my headphones. I said something like: "excuse me. I know many people don't mind -- and this is is my issue -- but the sound of cracking gum is something I find very distracting especially in small enclosed spaces where it can echo and seem lounder. Is there any way I can ask you to not do that during the flight?? Sorry to disturb..."

The woman was shocked. Not so much that I said something but it really didn't occur to her that this sound could irritate someone and she was cool and stopped.

I like to try that approach first to open the door nicely for a person to show some consideration. It's non-threatening and non-judgmental and avoids words like "rude" "irritating" "annoying".
    If that doesn't work, then, trust me, I have escalation procedures...

vCash
    Just playing devil's advocate, but couldn't one also argue that if someone needs absolute quiet during a skate, then maybe that person should watch at home?

I know people are saying it's improper etiquette, but it seems like it's more a case of personal preference. For example, at movie theaters, the message is given at the start of each movie to not talk or text. But I don't recall any such messages given at the start of skating competitions. Taking pictures with flashes is singled out as a no-no, but not silence during skating. While clearly some prefer to watch comps in silence, I'm not quite sure why people assume that should be broadly applied, or enforced on others when that's not an explicit expectation given at the outset of the comp.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I use the theatre - going principle that skating competitions or shows are a performance, not a football or hockey game.

How many people would talk and chatter during a Broadway play or show? I'd like to think not many, without getting a few looks or a talking to from the usher.

Still, I've attended competitions since the late 1980s, and since the invention of cell and iPhones, some people have no trouble getting them, playing with, answering or making calls DURING a skater's performance.

My goodness, you've paid hundreds of dollars to watch someone skate, leave the multi-tasking for the concourse or the ice resurface.

Maybe competitions should add to their announcement about no flash photography, to ask before the event that all phones be shut off and please, no talking during the competition.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast