Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    I'm going to take this thread as an opportunity to bitch about what I think is one of the worst features CoP has inflicted upon us - LOUD POP MUSIC IN THE ARENA IN BETWEEN SKATERS WHILE WAITING FOR MARKS. There. I shouted it!

I'm a hardcore fan, usually there with a vocal gang and I've been accused a lot in the past of talking to much (ok, scolded ) and have mostly reformed. The best alternative is to chatter at length after each skate.

TPTB have decided that the audience needs to be distracted from the long wait times to get marks under CoP so they now require the arena to play music - often loudly, and Canada and the US are the worst volume offenders - from the second the skater steps off the ice until the second before the marks are announced.

Makes it hard to talk about the performance immediately afterwards - which to me is critical to attendance and being a fan. And I also find it really overstimulating. I like the quiet in between skaters to socialize, discuss and think. I don't need the Weather Girls or Adele or KT Tunstall blaring "Suddenly I See... !" while I'm trying to discuss with my friend sitting 3 seats away if Ashley fully rotated her flip or not.
    I don't know why but this post makes me probably because it's so true. I don't get this society's need to have roaring music everywhere you go. Neighbours, restaurants and stores, some of them have it so loud it's ridiculous and of course if you say anything you get the ol' and nothing happens. I don't mind music, but if you can't hear each other over dinner something is wrong. It's not a club for pete's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I used to encounter rude people at COI, but at GP and World competitions I've been to, most of the audience members have been respectful. The only @$$hat I encountered was Phil Hersh who kept getting up and blocking my view to get ice cream, and stood, pointed and laughed when Nobunari Oda fell in the SP at 09 Worlds
    Seriously? He 'stood, pointed and laughed' How old is this guy and he covers figure skating? Surely a fall wasn't new to him. What a moron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post

Seriously? He 'stood, pointed and laughed' How old is this guy and he covers figure skating? Surely a fall wasn't new to him. What a moron.
    It was a pretty spectacular mishap where Oda ran into the boards, but still...

vCash
    When I 1st posed the question about talking, I figured that I was just getting it aired out because I was frustrated. It would appear that I am not the only one out there, so why are there still so many rude people talking during events? Everytime I ask people to please be quiet, they all look at me like I am the crazy one. I guess that I must be crazy to want to listen to the music and enjoy the skating.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

vCash
    Californication. Love it. All the smart ass writing, it's like Juno for adults. One of my faves. Don't get me started on Kathleen Turner....lol

vCash
    At Worlds in Nice I had Frank Carrol sitting right behind me during the last group of the Men sp..a man arrived and he kept asking Carrol things...i tried not to listen and stay focused on the competition but they weren't even trying to keep a low tone voice (apart when Carrol was asked about Lysachek' situation, the part I was most interested of )
    I found the strong smell of wine quite annoying though...

vCash
    At San Jose US Nationals this year, I had a lovely group of senior citizens sitting around me all week long.

They really were pleasant, except for the two women who would loudly -- and reliable -- sing or hum along to every song that was remotely popular. One could actually sing, but not the other one... so it was really irritating by say... Moon River program #3...

At local non-qualifying competitions the big epidemic is skaters (and their families, and their giant rolling suitcases / Zuca bags) stomping around loudly across the stands while the other skaters are performing -- often times during their own competitors' programs. I've found this not only disrespectful, but sometimes very distracting while serving as a judge on panels. Stomping/running around in one's skates (w/ guards on) on metal stands in particular can be very loud.

At Indy Challenge we starting putting signs at the bottom of the stands last year to PLEASE not walk across the stands while skaters are performing. It helped quite a bit, thankfully, as it was getting outrageous in recent years.

vCash
    I say that you should talk all you want between the skaters and as loudly as you want, but please keep quiet while they are skating. Mr. Nicks was sitting behind us during the pairs competition at Nice and surprise... his cell phone goes off during someone's skate. REALLY?

vCash
    Were you in the front row? I kind of doubt that the skaters heard his phone.

vCash
    I have never been to a big event, but have been to lots of local events and regionals. I talk, but in my "inside voice" (so just above a whisper).

I view skating as a sporting event. I talk at baseball games too.

If I were at a show, I would not talk more than the smallest occasional whisper, just like going to a movie. Because a show is not a sporting event. I don't go to shows.

I do not stand up and walk around while someone is skating, choosing to do that after their skate, but most of the audience, who at these events are usually skaters, do - so that tells me it doesn't bother skaters or they wouldn't do it. When I skate I can never hear people talking, but I can see them walk around. Doesn't bother me, and if it did, I need to learn to keep my head in the game, just like a pitcher needs to learn to do the same!

Oh, and to someone upthread- I am knit at baseball/basketball games just as much as I knit at skating events Anywhere I am sitting for a long period of time, a project goes with me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I do not stand up and walk around while someone is skating, choosing to do that after their skate, but most of the audience, who at these events are usually skaters, do - so that tells me it doesn't bother skaters or they wouldn't do it. When I skate I can never hear people talking, but I can see them walk around. Doesn't bother me, and if it did, I need to learn to keep my head in the game, just like a pitcher needs to learn to do the same!
    Right. But as the theme of this thread goes... it's not about the skaters on the ice. It's all about the audience. vs

When people are walking by while a skater is performing their program -- especially at non-major-international events -- you're almost definitely walking in front of the parents / family member / close friend of the skater competing at that moment.

vCash
    I am going to be honest and say that myself, as a former skater, and my other former skater and coaching friends usually talk through performances and make funny comments. In general, we know we are obnoxious to fans and try to find seats away from others (we are usually lucky enough to have credentials so seating is not an issue). Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we got shushed a few times (and moved to not disturb), but actually a lot of people will hear us talking and ask questions or laugh at our comments. BTW, I always put my phone on vibrate especially when we are in the front row as to not disturb skaters or fans.
    As far as walking in the stands during a performance it used to be not allowed at Nationals. You had to wait until the end of the performance. Now that rule doesn't seem to apply, but I always follow those rules as it the proper thing to do. I am old school and would never run down the stairs during a performance with a beer and a hot dog or leave midway through to go to the bathroom or something.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sue1967 View Post
    When I 1st posed the question about talking, I figured that I was just getting it aired out because I was frustrated. It would appear that I am not the only one out there, so why are there still so many rude people talking during events? Everytime I ask people to please be quiet, they all look at me like I am the crazy one. I guess that I must be crazy to want to listen to the music and enjoy the skating.
    I wonder if one of these days I will accidentally spill a pop all over somebody. I've been practising my shocked apology for quite a while now....
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345