Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I wouldn't recommend buying skates over the web, unless you know EXACTLY what fits and you're buying a replacement for what already fits. Find a reputable fitter and try boots on in person!
    i understand what you are saying, however, its over $1000 cheaper for me to buy online than in a rink pro shop, so, I would be likely to try a boot on in the store (if they have it.. my rinks shop range is limited) then order it online.

vCash
    Stopping just didn't work.
    Sarah - perfectly normal. For most folks stopping on a newly sharpened blade ranges from challenging to 'not happening.' As they dull a bit, you'll get your stop back. With your prior rentals, you're used to very dull blades so this all will be a new blade experience. Each of us has a level of sharp he or she likes - I tend to like them a little on the dull side (and rarely have them sharpened but 'stoned' more often instead), some skaters love sharp, and there's everything in between. You'll find the spot where you're optimally happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Sarah - perfectly normal. For most folks stopping on a newly sharpened blade ranges from challenging to 'not happening.' As they dull a bit, you'll get your stop back. With your prior rentals, you're used to very dull blades so this all will be a new blade experience. Each of us has a level of sharp he or she likes - I tend to like them a little on the dull side (and rarely have them sharpened but 'stoned' more often instead), some skaters love sharp, and there's everything in between. You'll find the spot where you're optimally happy.
    I can stop again! We spent a few minutes in the middle of the lesson stopping and I've got it back. Overall though, everything was just easier today. I guess I just wasn't fighting the skates. Worked on edges, started crossovers, etc.

vCash
    Isn't it great, that moment when you know it's back!? Every sharpening is a lesson in "two steps back" and then you have the moment when your blades belong to you again instead of having a life entirely their own.

vCash
    I got my skates sharpened, and while I lost my ability to T-stop very well, my forward inside and outside edges were spectacular. Everything did feel very slippy though comparatively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Isn't it great, that moment when you know it's back!? Every sharpening is a lesson in "two steps back" and then you have the moment when your blades belong to you again instead of having a life entirely their own.
    If the skater gets their blades sharpened regularly, there is no "two steps back." The problem is letting them get so dull that you can tell you need a sharpening; by the time that happens, the blades have been dull for several on-ice hours and the skater has changed their technique to accommodate the dullness.

Get them sharpened after 15-20 hours, even if they're not slipping or sliding, and you won't have that "can't stop" feeling. Why waste time waiting for them to get dull again so you can perform - keep 'em sharp!

As the old adage goes, "do as I say, not as I do." When I wait too long between sharpenings, the only stop that works is a t-stop. Snowplows, hockey stops and especially backward snowplows, are difficult at best; my one-foot hockey stop and tango stops are impossible for at least 3 hours.

vCash
    Someone once told me how quickly stopping wears your blades down. I haven't stopped since. I'm too cheap to stop.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    A good sharpener is worth his/her weight in gold. Mine keeps a little card on all his clients, so if I don't like something one time (too sharp, etc) he adjusts the next time. I got new blades, and it really changed alot of the feel and he was able to accomodate me on my second sharpening based on my history plus what I told him about what I didn't like about the first shrpening on the new blade.

He also does something to them so that stopping etc is never an issue on newly sharpened blades. I <3 that man.

vCash
    When reading all of you, I think that I'm really fortunate having my skate shop 20 minutes driving from home, so I'm never "in between sharpenings", because as soon as I notice it should be done, I skate for another session, and if my feeling is the same, I directly drive to the skate shop in order to get my blades sharpened !

vCash
    My blades have no life left in them. The next time, the skate shop will be sharpening leather.
    Last edited by Johnny_Fever; 04-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    A good sharpener is worth his/her weight in gold. Mine keeps a little card on all his clients, so if I don't like something one time (too sharp, etc) he adjusts the next time. I got new blades, and it really changed alot of the feel and he was able to accomodate me on my second sharpening based on my history plus what I told him about what I didn't like about the first shrpening on the new blade.

He also does something to them so that stopping etc is never an issue on newly sharpened blades. I <3 that man.
    Sounds like my guy. I have never had anyone else sharpen my skates and he is somehow magic and makes it so I have no adjustment period. I can feel my blades gripping the ice more after a sharpening but stopping is no problem. I think it is totally true that a good one is worth their weight in gold.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    The last three sharpeners we've used have all been able to sharpen and still leave me with the ability to stop. There's no period of adjustment at all. So it can be done.

When I was a teenager I was told to get blades sharpened every 30 hours. I still go by that, and it works for me.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    For me, I'm sure things will be easier next sharpening. But, coming out of rentals, I've never actually skated with sharp blades until this past week!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Ditto what LilJen said. It is extremely important that your skates fit like a glove, meaning no extra room anywhere, but also not pinching or pressing in anywhere. Wear thin socks or stockings for your fitting and also when you skate. Width is as important as length, and they need to be the right width for you in both the front of the foot (the "ball") and the heel. Do not compromise, even if it's more expensive to get skates that fit perfectly.

I would also highly recommend buying a pair of gel ankle sleeves to protect your ankles from bruising and lacebite as you break the new boots in. They are sold under the brands "Bunga Pads" and "Silippos" at most skate shops and also on Amazon.com.

I suffered through two pairs of new boots before I found out about the ankle sleeves and I suffered through 3 pairs of skates before I finally got boots that fit correctly in the ball and heel. I wish my boot fitter had been more focused on the comfort of my feet and not so focused on saving me money or getting me the boots that were more likely to be in stock!
    i SOOO love these bunga pads- i rememebr when i was younger and the :HATE: i had for the first few sessiosn with new skates- even after years with my current skates- without these pads I have horrible afterskate that has left permanent marks! i guess i just have my skates very tight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12