Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Hip Hop as described by the ISU

The ISU have released a description about Hip Hop for the forthcoming season (additional to the dance rulebook). But at the end they have some clips from SYTYCD as examples.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

The definitions are just so dry.

I am thinking it could either be a complete disaster or we will see some really interesting stuff.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    thanks for posting, Aussie Willy!

no surprise that they chose more of the lyrical hip hop numbers...that style seems to lend itself most to ice dance and its basic principles of flow and use of the edge (well, at least the staccato movements are integrated with more fluid ones). I love hip hop but I have to say, it is very, very tricky...the rhythms and types of movement they demand are so complex and contrast greatly with most of the styles ice dancers grow up with (and judges are accustomed to). It is a very different way of conceptualizing movement, and I am genuinely curious to see how the junior teams will fare with this style. I wish them all the best!

vCash
    I started reading it and figured it must be copy-pasted from Wikipedia and paraphrased a bit. Imagine my surprise to find out otherwise!

I'm not a big fan of hip-hop by any means, but maybe the right team and the right choreographer can make it work. It might be especially interesting if they look beyond American artists for music choices.

vCash
    Curiously (?) I picture very well Tessa Virtue in a hip-hop dance. On the contrary I don't see how Scott Moir will do with it.

vCash
    HH is so different from ballet and ballroom dancing. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

vCash
    If it is anything like skaters performing their oh so naf routines to hip hop music at exhibitions I dread to think what we will see. At least they are trying something new though. I am looking forward to some A grade booty pops from some of the skaters though.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Curiously (?) I picture very well Tessa Virtue in a hip-hop dance. On the contrary I don't see how Scott Moir will do with it.
    Only the junior competitions will have a hip hop short dance. The senior teams will do the polka.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
    .... The senior teams will do the polka.
    To heck with Hiphop. I want my Yankee Polka!!!!!!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    deleted duplicate

vCash
    True dancers should be able to dance anything. I am glad that those juniors will get outside of their comfort zone and be challenged. They will all have to use the help of outside choreographers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    True dancers should be able to dance anything. I am glad that those juniors will get outside of their comfort zone and be challenged. They will all have to use the help of outside choreographers
    Hip hop is so different from the training skaters normally receive. Ballet, ballroom, and skating are upright and tall, with flow. Hip hop is down into the floor, grounded there; and more staccato. I've noticed that it's really hard for skaters (and dancers) to be able to make that transition convincingly. It is the rare skater, in my observation, who can do hip hop well.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The ISU have released a description about Hip Hop for the forthcoming season (additional to the dance rulebook). But at the end they have some clips from SYTYCD as examples.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

The definitions are just so dry.

I am thinking it could either be a complete disaster or we will see some really interesting stuff.
    I don't mean to laugh-but I just never thought I'd see the day. WTF would any ISU ice dance 'experts' know about Hip Hop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    If it is anything like skaters performing their oh so naf routines to hip hop music at exhibitions I dread to think what we will see. At least they are trying something new though. I am looking forward to some A grade booty pops from some of the skaters though.
    Yes-it will be interesting to see what some of the more inventive choreographers will come up with-and hopefully it will translate well to the ice.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Hip Hop for Ice Dance, nice

I want to see hoe V/M and I/K interpret this
    Im still at odd, imo, it won't suit Meryl lol, but we'll see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Hip Hop for Ice Dance, nice

I want to see hoe V/M and I/K interpret this
    Im still at odd, imo, it won't suit Meryl lol, but we'll see
    As the senior competitors are not doing hip-hop, I don't know when we will see this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    As the senior competitors are not doing hip-hop, I don't know when we will see this.
    so only juniors ?
    so senior gets the Polka

vCash
    I am intrigued to see what the Juniors will bring for the Hip Hop SD, but at the same time I can't help and laugh at the mental image of ISU judges wearing fur coats and scarfs marking a competition of 20 Hip Hop routines.

vCash
    LOL - it kind of reminds me of when my daughter decided to do her tap dance routine on ice for her coach. Unexpected.

vCash
    If this becomes the SD for the Olympic year, things could become very interesting.

vCash
    If this becomes the SD for the Olympic year, things could become very interesting.
    The Olympic SD will be the Finnstep.

vCash
    The senior short dance for the Olympic season will feature the Finnstep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast