Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1015
  1. #121

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,542
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Well, as much as I feel for Chinese people for that, I'd LOVE them to go to TEB. They've only been there once, quite a long time ago (the 2007/08 season) and it would be too easy to catch a cheap flight to Paris to see them live again. A girl can dream, right?
    I don't think they will be at TEB since P&B are seeded 1-3 and will definitely be at TEB. The only way they would be there is if one (or more) of the top three decide to skate 3 GPs. Nathalie and Fabian did do that last year, but I'm not sure I expect that TEB would want to make P&B compete against either V&M or D&W at home.

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    135
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    My favorite moment today was the hug they exchanged at the end. Such happiness, satisfaction and warmth. What a great memory for them to carry into the off season.
    I thought the same thing. That hug was genuine.
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    I'm glad I uber Meryl and Charlie...don't have to justify poor sportsmanship or post ridiculous, sarcastic comments obviously meant to belittle other skaters.

    WTT was very enjoyable and I'm happy for the Japanese fans that saw some great skating from some of the top skaters in the world. The fans there were awesome, too, that's what skaters love...cheers, standing Os, and flowers galore! Sadly missing from a lot of skating events these days. This one reminded me of the 90s when arenas were full of adoring fans. I loved the team spirit exhibited by the skaters, most of them looked like they were having a great time. It's so annoying reading some comments around here about this being a cheesefest and a meaningless competition. It wasn't. Most of the skaters skated their hearts out. Primarily M&C and Dai. It was thrilling to watch.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  4. #124
    Reality TV's Bytch
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    1,838
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    It's so annoying reading some comments around here about this being a cheesefest and a meaningless competition. It wasn't. Most of the skaters skated their hearts out. Primarily M&C and Dai. It was thrilling to watch.
    It's a cheesefest if your favorite doesn't win. (Although, even if D/W didn't win, I still wouldn't consider it a cheesefest.) I can't wait to watch it on-demand. Will it still be available next week? I won't be able to watch until Monday.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think the WTT is a gift to skaters and fans. We get to see our favorites do their 2012 programs one more time, the skaters get to socialize with each other and have some fun and they get the chance to earn some prize money. And how nice for them they get to skate to a full house of appreciative fans!

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    I would call it a cheese fest only because I think most of the skaters aimed to peak at Worlds. To have this "competition" so much later and asking these same people to "rev it up again" just so we can see more skating? Sorry, not agreeing with it. If "someone" was actually serious about this comp, they would have made it as part of Worlds -- not just as an add on.

    Congrats to all the skaters in putting forth what you did have and for giving your fans one last look at a great season. Now go and take a well deserved break -- and have FUN!!! The new season will begin soon enough.

    Not commenting on the skating cause I haven't seen it and not likely to do so ... kinda busy with two teams in another sport right now. However, I do like to come to FSU and get my daily quota of and
    Crazy about sports!

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    If "someone" was actually serious about this comp, they would have made it as part of Worlds -- not just as an add on.
    I thought this comp was sponsored by the Japanese Federation--ergo why it's in Japan and not elsewhere.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    135
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I'm glad I uber Meryl and Charlie...don't have to justify poor sportsmanship or post ridiculous, sarcastic comments obviously meant to belittle other skaters.

    WTT was very enjoyable and I'm happy for the Japanese fans that saw some great skating from some of the top skaters in the world. The fans there were awesome, too, that's what skaters love...cheers, standing Os, and flowers galore! Sadly missing from a lot of skating events these days. This one reminded me of the 90s when arenas were full of adoring fans. I loved the team spirit exhibited by the skaters, most of them looked like they were having a great time. It's so annoying reading some comments around here about this being a cheesefest and a meaningless competition. It wasn't. Most of the skaters skated their hearts out. Primarily M&C and Dai. It was thrilling to watch.
    Tapdancer - I find myself very often nodding my head to what you post, and once again I agree with you here. That is all. Carry on.
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    BTW, it was cute to see Meryl giving Dai a standing O after his LP!!

    Was it Team USA throwing the foil streamers? Or France & Italy, as all three were going nuts for Dai.

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    BTW, it was cute to see Meryl giving Dai a standing O after his LP!!

    Was it Team USA throwing the foil streamers? Or France & Italy, as all three were going nuts for Dai.
    I think the streamers were from the French
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    460
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That was so beautifully skated! It was so free. I also thought the camera angles were fantastic! Thank you Japan! It has been hard at times throughout the season to see all the nuances because the camera just isn't always in the right spot but I thought this time the cameras captured a lot -- especially in the circular step sequence. Congrats to them for such a beautiful beautiful performance!

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    great job d/w-- skated really well .

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    I hope a good quality vid from the Japan telecast will surface, because the ISU feed was crap, with blackouts.

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Yayyy on the win

    Call it a cheesefest or whatever else people want to refer to it as to call it a lesser competition, it is definitely good to end the season on a good note I think mentally it probably meant a lot to them. They always give their all.
    I wish it would have been the World Championships. I'm going to stay positive and say that everything happens for the best!

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Beautiful performance!! I'm so happy for D/W to end the season on a high note! As it has all season, this FD seemed like it only lasts a minute.

  16. #136

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,542
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    To have this "competition" so much later and asking these same people to "rev it up again" just so we can see more skating? Sorry, not agreeing with it. If "someone" was actually serious about this comp, they would have made it as part of Worlds -- not just as an add on.
    "Someone" is planning on making it a part of the World Championships if it is successful at the Olympics.


    I'm thrilled Meryl and Charlie skated well! I'm just working my way through the competition now since I've been working on an exam all day, but I can't wait to see it! (Speaking of which, Meryl and Charlie are, of course, on the same exam schedule as me. Did Meryl mention studying for an exam this weekend? That's so unfortunate for her!)

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,755
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wasn't so sure about this event before, but after seeing Dai, C&L and D&W lay down their best performances of the season, I love it! I think it is a really exciting event, and it is fun to see the skaters supporting each other like that. I feel lucky to be seeing so many memorable performances, and I am happy that this event is giving some skaters a chance to end the season on a high note

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    299
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Did Meryl mention studying for an exam this weekend? That's so unfortunate for her!
    Yes, she did it here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

    "I have a final exam at school the day after I get back, writing essays on ancient Rome for a history class," she said. "So in Japan, it's just focus."

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    If you can't win, the next best thing is to be wuzrobbed for by people not of your own country.


    And Tarasova isn't just some avid skating fan either--her opinion means a lot.

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    it is definitely good to end the season on a good note I think mentally it probably meant a lot to them.
    I agree. One of the main reasons winning Worlds has always been such a big deal is that it's usually the last major competition of the season. It means a lot to go out with a bang. But if there's one more after Worlds and you don't win that one, suddenly your aura of invincibility is gone. Folks may still call you world champion(s), but they may start to doubt whether you're actually the best skater(s) in the world. And the WTT isn't just some Hershey's Kisses cheesefest either. It may not be as big as Worlds, but it's still a significant competition. So, now both Takahashi and D&W can say that they've beaten the world champions. Some serious bragging rights there. Furthermore, if the results at Worlds are considered controversial, this kind of thing can also add fuel to the wuzrobbed flame.

    And when it comes to determining the best skater or team in a particular discipline for the year, you really have to look at the whole season. Head to head, D&W and V&M were 2-2, so take your pick.
    Last edited by neptune; 04-21-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •