Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    So apparently we will be able to watch livestream but the the times are horrendous for me (Eastern US)...2:15 am and 3:25 am. Wonder if the video will be available later on-demand. Then again...am I an uber or what?
    I say bring it on! Just like the good old days! It feels like D/W have not had as many competitions where they perform at a crazy hour of the night for me as they used to.

The number of times I woke up around 5 AM to watch a compulsory dance...

vCash
    You know you're an uber when ...

Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post

The number of times I woke up around 5 AM to watch a compulsory dance...
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    You know you're an uber when ...
    Yeahhhh. Never again.

Well actually it will be never again since there are no more compulsory dances!

It was the worst when it was the Golden Waltz. There are very few things worse than that much fake perk before the sun has risen.

vCash
    Tarasova weighs in on Worlds.

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120401/589082464.html

- In the dances on ice conquered the Canadians Of [tessa] [Virchu] and cattle Of [moyr], which exceeded the Americans Of [meril] Davis and by Charlie White. To [virchu] and [Moyr], the Olympic champions of Vancouver -2010, passed the large part of the past season because of the problems with the health in female partner. " In my opinion, win had to the Americans, is counted Tarasov. - Their arbitrary program is incomparably better, it is more virtuoso, it is more musical. It high-speed, unique, light. I worked many years, I have right to my own opinion. Even she wanted to write in ISU letter. Indeed evidently to eye, who is better and how. I am glad for the Canadians, that they were restored, but today they not [chempiony]".
    If you can't win, the next best thing is to be wuzrobbed for by people not of your own country.

vCash
    Tarasova is more than "people". She's kind of a skating godess in Russia

btw, you just have to love the google translator

And don't even get me started about watching skating at unhuman hours. During last Olympics I stayed up all night for every single skating competition. I usually went to bed for 2 hours at 6am, when my flatmate was already getting up to get to school

vCash
    Meryl and Charlie's Facebook page just shared a video of them from the WTT. Be sure and look it up because Meryl looks amazing. If Dai wasn't crushing on her before he will now!!

vCash
    This video?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=402206956470918

Apparently Charlie is captain of the US team at World Trophy.

BTW, in 2009, they did not get to go to the WTT, so this is their first one.

vCash
    IN has a WTT snippet from Meryl & Charlie

Luckily, performing "Die Fledermaus" never gets old for Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who won silver in Nice behind Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada. They're set to square off against their rivals and training partners for the fourth time this season in Tokyo.

"It's hard to train it at this point in the season, but when you enjoy a program so much, it's not that bad," White said. "We've been going strong since coming home from Nice. This is another chance to represent the U.S., and I think our team has a great chance to win this."

"I think we feel pretty good physically," Davis said. "We were really geared to peak at worlds, but we've been training very hard, so we're still quite prepared."

Davis, who is studying for an anthropology degree at University of Michigan, won't have time for much else besides practicing and competing in Tokyo.

"I have a final exam at school the day after I get back, writing essays on ancient Rome for a history class," she said. "So in Japan, it's just focus."

When Davis and White return to their training base in Canton, Mich., they'll have a week before heading off to Ontario for Stars on Ice shows in Toronto, Hamilton and London, where they may perform an exhibition version of "Die Fledermaus."

"We're going to figure out what we're doing next year," White said. "Then after [Stars on Ice], we'll have another week and maybe start to figure out some lifts. Then we'll have a vacation the last two weeks of May."

"Charlie and I have listened to music constantly since coming back from worlds, and we have quite a few ideas to narrow down," Davis said. "We've cut some programs -- Charlie is good at cutting music -- and talked about what direction we want to go in. When we get home, we'll sit down with our coaches and make the decisions."
    So:

There will be new lifts.

There's an exhibition version of DF!! And they love this program as much as I do.

Meryl & Charlie will skate with CSOI!!

vCash
    I love the last paragraph in the article. I'm glad they aren't wasting any time deciding on their music and hopefully they have a strong vision about the direction they want their skating to go. I just want them to feel nothing but confidence in the beauty and skill of their skating and take it to the limit. Can't wait!

Also hope they skate lights out at WTT!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Adding best wishes to Meryl & Charlie for great skates at WTT!

vCash
    I hope the ISU loosens up their rules regarding free dance music soon.

Just discovered another great piece by Samuel Barber, his Violin Concerto- beautiful soaring piece of romantic American classical music with some interesting dissonant bits that would really reflect the dark and shade that is in their skating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PtR...feature=relmfu

Slowly learning skaters program music over the summer and pre-season is always fun. I wish NBC/Universal Sports would show more footage of their off ice planning process. It was fun to get those glimpses of their costume design session- but it wasn't very much- only a few seconds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Just discovered another great piece by Samuel Barber, his Violin Concerto- beautiful soaring piece of romantic American classical music with some interesting dissonant bits that would really reflect the dark and shade that is in their skating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PtR...feature=relmfu.
    Adam Rippon skated to this piece in 2010. IMO, this is the best LP he has ever skated, and I have always loved the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHhqa7b1yA

vCash
    I'm really curious to see the exhibition version of DF. Seems like they have a busy summer ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Meryl and Charlie's Facebook page just shared a video of them from the WTT. Be sure and look it up because Meryl looks amazing. If Dai wasn't crushing on her before he will now!!
    She does look particularly lovely here.

Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    I hope the ISU loosens up their rules regarding free dance music soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PtR...feature=relmfu

Slowly learning skaters program music over the summer and pre-season is always fun. I wish NBC/Universal Sports would show more footage of their off ice planning process. It was fun to get those glimpses of their costume design session- but it wasn't very much- only a few seconds.
    I wonder, if the most popular programs next season have a less obvious dance beat, maybe the ISU will gradually become more lenient about it in time for the Olympic season? Like ease them into it...I think one reason the beat rule has become more strict (but not the only) is because the ISU thinks ice dance will be more popular if it's more ballroom oriented.

I hope we get something classical from D/W for the Olympics.

As for WTT, a drawing of Team USA, complete with crazy Charlie hair (with stars on the end?): http://yfrog.com/hwge2twj.

Also practice pics from ice-dance.com are up.

vCash
    So are Meryl and Charlie not performing a SD? (I haven't seen any pics)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    So are Meryl and Charlie not performing a SD? (I haven't seen any pics)
    They are. They practiced their FD at practice Wed. I'd say at the practice before competition starts will be when they practice the SD.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Word from the arena is Meryl wore the bronze dress for SD practice today. Another tease before she brings out the orange dress again for the competition?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Woo hoo!!! and they are in first

vCash
    Wow! Nice lead for them.

There will be dance beats, because one of the scoring categories is timing and interpretation.

vCash
    Meryl got her Level 4 Rhumba!! I thought they were on fire, a great performance!

One judge didn't get the memo that D/W and V/M are always supposed to get PCS in the 9s.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast