Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    No more interesting than this season. This worlds ice dance panels, result and reaction were very similar to last years. So following that pattern D&W will win in Canada over V&M with a less crowd friendly program and an extra level in diagonal step sequence.
    Yes, but both teams will therefore have overly busy uncrowd friendly programs to boring music next year.

:

All fans : really

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Do we know the judging make-up for this upcoming season already?
    No. But that wasn't the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Doris, is this the same Gorshkov who is (or used to be) head of the Russian Skating Fed?
    and used to be the head of the Ice Dance Technical Committee?

No. It's another guy, a coach, and I believe the father of Gorshkova of G&B.

Another interesting excerpt from Alla's interview

This was said by Alla when asked about PCS components of Joubert & Plushenko, whom she feels are both better than Chan at "performance", which is a PCS component.

AS: As a judge I can't say their components are not high. For instance, what is `performance'? It's the energy the skater projects to the crowd.
    Alla's on the Technical committee now, and I wonder whether we will be seeing some changes in the description of the Performance PCS component next season or the year after.

vCash
    deleted post.
    Last edited by sap5; 04-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=847

Apparently, Riazanova & Tkachenko will be training with Z&S. Their coach, Gorshkov, will be coming with them.

I'm not crazy about Gorshkov being there...but I can't entirely figure out why I find it so unsettling.
    It is going to be crowded in Canton, unless some folks decide to move out. I guess it is good for the Michigan economy.

vCash
    Alla's on the Technical committee now, and I wonder whether we will be seeing some changes in the description of the Performance PCS component next season or the year after.
    I would like to see that. I think she has a massive point here. Also:

One can skate beautifully, perform all the jumps and steps, but leave the crowd cold. Everyone likes to see emotions. I reckon if there were two shows with Joubert and Pluschenko vs Chan and someone else the crowd would rather see Pluschenko and Joubert.
    I wish there was really sth in the PCS score which would reflect this "leaving the crowd cold" or the opposite, making the crowd go crazy. Of course I wouldn't like it to be a powerful factor, just to matter at least a bit.

Maybe I'm naive but I like to believe skaters still perform for the people.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    It is going to be crowded in Canton, unless some folks decide to move out. I guess it is good for the Michigan economy.
    Canton's not nearly as crowded as it used to be. Wish some junior American teams would find their way over there!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    'Projection' is already one of the criteria for the Performance component. So is the emotional and intellectual involvement of a skater into his program.

vCash
    Just saying, but being self involved is not performing for the crowd. You can be emotionally & intellectually involved in the music without it being evident to anyone but yourself.

And there's what's in the COP, and how the judges actually grade.

Flutzing was verboten from the beginning of COP, but it was a couple years before deductions were taken for it.

vCash

This was said by Alla when asked about PCS components of Joubert & Plushenko, whom she feels are both better than Chan at "performance", which is a PCS component.

I feel that Alla is trying her best to politick against Canada. Not surprising as Canada is currently holding the ice dance and men's gold medals. I wouldn't be surprised if PCS changes (or at least changes to how PCS are interpreted) set up to disfavor V/M and PChan appear in the future.

vCash
    It's possible.
    For men's, I would not be surprised to see the weighting of the transition mark drop.
    For dance, it would be tricky to change anything at this point, except perhaps to tinker with the definition of the performance component. There have been suggestions to remove the dance spin and the twizzles (two elements that D&W and V&M do very well in most cases).

vCash
    Sorry for offtopic. Can anyone share the link where Daisuke talks about Davis/White?

vCash
    Daisuke is particularly a fan of Meryl. When interviewed about what sort of girls he likes, he says, "Meryl Davis"

vCash

Thanks for providing that info, Doris and Sylvia. hmmmm...I am confused. As lauravvv has pointed out, this energy resulting in a connection with the audience is already accounted for in the PCS category of Performance/Execution under "projection"...does Alla want this mark to be based exclusively or almost exclusively on projection, rather than carriage, clarity of movement, rhythm, unison, etc.? I hope not as I think all these aspects of a program are important. and some might argue that things like rhythm are already devalued in P/E and in ice dance in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Thanks for providing that info, Doris and Sylvia. hmmmm...I am confused. As lauravvv has pointed out, this energy resulting in a connection with the audience is already accounted for in the PCS category of Performance/Execution under "projection"...does Alla want this mark to be based exclusively or almost exclusively on projection, rather than carriage, clarity of movement, rhythm, unison, etc.? I hope not as I think all these aspects of a program are important. and some might argue that things like rhythm are already devalued in P/E and in ice dance in general.
    I think it's best to read the interview in GSD for yourself and form your own opinion. Alla doesn't say anything about rewriting PCS definitions. These comments are in response to whether she was disappointed Joubert didn't medal in Nice. She answers yes and responds how Pluschenko and Joubert are the type to sell tickets. Chan and the others not so much. The follow up question is about their PCS (Pluschenko and Joubert) not being considered high which is where her performance definition comes from. It's clear from the marks handed out to a variety of skaters that they all are getting their fair share of the PE mark. I know officials who swoon over skaters like Pluschenko and others that swoon over skaters like Chan. There will always be a difference of opinion here and it also existed in the old system. This is where her explanations of how politics work comes in handy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think it's best to read the interview in GSD for yourself and form your own opinion. Alla doesn't say anything about rewriting PCS definitions. These comments are in response to whether she was disappointed Joubert didn't medal in Nice. She answers yes and responds how Pluschenko and Joubert are the type to sell tickets. Chan and the others not so much. The follow up question is about their PCS (Pluschenko and Joubert) not being considered high which is where her performance definition comes from. It's clear from the marks handed out to a variety of skaters that they all are getting their fair share of the PE mark. I know officials who swoon over skaters like Pluschenko and others that swoon over skaters like Chan. There will always be a difference of opinion here and it also existed in the old system. This is where her explanations of how politics work comes in handy.
    sorry, I should have read the full interview before commenting. and i was confusing what other people said with what Alla said. thanks for your explanation, bcmg
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 04-14-2012 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    While the definitions may not change, the weights of the 5 components might change.

That would be the easiest thing to sell, I think.

vCash
    Daisuke is particularly a fan of Meryl. When interviewed about what sort of girls he likes, he says, "Meryl Davis"
    Here's video evidence, at about 9:00 of this video of a fan meeting with Daisuke in Moscow: http://video.yandex.ua/users/jejel/view/286/?ncrnd=6897

I don't speak Japanese, and I think Daisuke said more than the translator translated into English. Can anyone who speaks Japanese give a more exact translation of what he said?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I wish there was really sth in the PCS score which would reflect this "leaving the crowd cold" or the opposite, making the crowd go crazy. Of course I wouldn't like it to be a powerful factor, just to matter at least a bit.

Maybe I'm naive but I like to believe skaters still perform for the people.
    All skaters perform for the people. Some are just better at it. Judges and the crowd are all individuals with different tastes and different opinions and that IS reflected in the PCS. What makes one person in the crowd or one judge go crazy might make the person seated beside you or another judge It matters and is taken into account. The only problem is that people have trouble understanding that not all the crowd or all the judges view things the same way you do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    Here's video evidence, at about 9:00 of this video of a fan meeting with Daisuke in Moscow: http://video.yandex.ua/users/jejel/view/286/?ncrnd=6897

I don't speak Japanese, and I think Daisuke said more than the translator translated into English. Can anyone who speaks Japanese give a more exact translation of what he said?
    hahaha yes! lol, still think this is funny! and this was like the first time and then he just started repeating at every chance he gets

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast