Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    That was a very good post, Elkmaria!

I'm hoping for excellent programs for both teams this year as well.

vCash
    Don't think this has been linked to yet, Japanese broadcast of the WTT FD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HgYANZEt0g

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofskate View Post
    Don't think this has been linked to yet, Japanese broadcast of the WTT FD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HgYANZEt0g
    Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofskate View Post
    Thanks for the link! I downloaded the vid from fsvids, but unfortunately my computer can't handle the high quality
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    So, as a noob to the forums, I have to ask: What the heck does voidy mean?

Moving on, I have to say that I would love to see something emotionally raw from D&W. DF was lovely; very light, and fluffy, and magical. These aren't bad things! I just think they need something heavier to balance it out. Something that reaches out and grabs your emotions at the start, and doesn't stop until the end...

vCash
    Their WTT FD shows just how much they have grown as performers. They looked so young when they started at the senior level, technically strong but still green in the characterization/presentation aspect. Now, there's that confident feel and look in the way they perform the dance: easy, natural not over the top but more deeply felt expressions while maintaining speed, and easing into each element almost seamlessly. You can also see how they enjoy dancing with each other. They seem to be more openly showing their appreciation of each other as well. I think there's more in them we have yet to see. They are still very young and still look strong, actually, stronger skaters now. I'm glad they have a very active life outside of skating because that means they will not get bored competing any time soon. (I hope!) So...let's see the voidy stuff from them. I too would love for them to do modern characterizations. ER-type programs would be nice.

vCash
    I do love their character pieces and how much they have grown each year no matter what they skate to, but I also would like to see them try something completely different this coming season.

This is really OT. I was watching the Men's FS from WTT. With Jeremy Abbott in the K&C there were balloons, Charlie moved one away from Meryl and it sounded like he said she was allergic to them. Did anyone else hear that?
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    I couldn't tell if he was talking to Meryl or not but he definitely said "you're allergic" so I assumed someone had a latex allergy.

vCash
    In the news & reviews column, I was shocked to read this on Yahoo Skatefans.

The poster, Ben, has disliked D&W's skating for years, and yet gave the worlds FD to them, followed by W&P, with V&M a distant third.

Davis & White __ They managed an intricate, fast, complicatedly mapped-out, blistering timed -- and I mean this they glued themselves to the beat and even the nuances of that non-unsubtle piece of grand waltz music ---- and mostly adagio/separation/two-foot-skating-in-non-dane-holds free dance. There is clump of time in the third minute when things got "too easy" but it was short and did not disconnect the effect of the whole thing.

It lacked some inventinveness that is required for "masterpiece" level choreography ... however, for what it was, and what it was was awfully good, it was skated at a level of tremendous form, genuine waltz expression, excellent unison, posture-matching and the like ... which easily surpassed the free dances of any of the top four couples. In fact, this is one of the beter skated/performed free dances we've been treated to in an many years ... probably going back at least 5 or 6 years ... and though there have been better free dances (i.e. harder and more interesting) you have to go even farther back to find one skated as-a-skate as cleanly and with such ease. 5.9 5.8

They really have 'arrived'.

The poster is an old tyme ice dancer.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing Doris. So nice to see Meryl and Charlie being appreciated.

vCash
    Here's a song that IMHO would make a beautiful exhibition piece for Meryl and Charlie. A rather morbid title, but such a pretty melody and don't get me started on their harmony!

"If I Die Young" Cover by Michael Henry and Justin Robinett
    http://youtu.be/QQoFLrZ5C3M

vCash
    OMG Doris, I love this song to pieces! Well, I'm actually a fan of the original, but I have to admit this is an amazing cover, more gentle and romantic and surely more suitable for skating too.

The title might be morbid, but it's actually such a beautiful song. It's all sad and full of hope at the same time, I love the lyrics. It almost makes me at peace with the idea of dying young... if I ever have to.

damn, I hope it didn't sound too melodramatic I'd love Meryl and Charlie to skate to it, I'm sure they could make it another masterpiece, just like Adele.

vCash
    I love Sting. I could see this one for an exhibition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaVdV-WlAk

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    I love Sting. I could see this one for an exhibition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaVdV-WlAk
    That song (Mad About You) was part of one of my favorite exhibitions of all time - Silverstein and Pekarek's Sting exhibition. It's not on YouTube but I posted it on my blog awhile back here.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    That song (Mad About You) was part of one of my favorite exhibitions of all time - Silverstein and Pekarek's Sting exhibition. It's not on YouTube but I posted it on my blog awhile back here.
    I love that exhibition, i'd forgotten how much Dick Button thought of them. Sigh, what could have been.

I like the ending to Fragile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Thanks for the link…that was really good. The idea of a medley hadn't even occurred to me. That was quite cleverly done. I know it would probably fall under "oldies" but it would lessen the chances of someone else skating to it. (e.g. Adele or Rhythm of Love)

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I love that exhibition, i'd forgotten how much Dick Button thought of them. Sigh, what could have been.

I like the ending to Fragile.
    I loved the version of Fragile they used, too. It was from the Living Seas (the IMAX movie) soundtrack. I wouldn't mind seeing an exhibition using just that piece.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis&WhiteFan View Post
    Here's a song that IMHO would make a beautiful exhibition piece for Meryl and Charlie. A rather morbid title, but such a pretty melody and don't get me started on their harmony!

"If I Die Young" Cover by Michael Henry and Justin Robinett
    http://youtu.be/QQoFLrZ5C3M
    Wow, thanks for that link. Haven't heard these guys but they are amazing, love their harmony.

Meryl and Charlie simply need to skate to Sting. Or Tori Amos. Something to bring out that inner passion that we saw in Eleanor Rigby. They are so much more mature in their skating now and have improved so much since ER...I shiver just thinking about seeing them skating ER now.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Love that song Davis&WhiteFan! I do actually like that cover better than the original. And that never happens for me lol.

ITA that Meryl and Charlie need to skate to sting. And I was actually just listening to Tori Amos on my way home from work! (thank you MK for introducing me to the awesome song Winter)

I wonder if they've ever thought of skating to Santana? I was trying to think if Santana has ever been used in the skating world before, and I could only think of one example off the top of my head (it's still a great one!)

Jeremy Abbott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkS69HHQDgA I LOVE this program, still one of my favorites from him.

But does anyone think that 'Samba Pa Ti' would suit Meryl and Charlie? There's just such a , almost sensual quality to it, IMO. It'd be awesome to see what they could do with something like this. ETA: Sorry, having trouble adding the link!

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AUm_xaE9A

Sorry for the double post, only way I could get the link to work!

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast