Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

New thread everyone...here we go with the off season

But we do still have WTT to look forward to!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Thanks for taking my suggestion on the thread title! The upside about the off season (after WTT) is that there should still be shows and plenty of music suggestions while we wait to hear what they will really be skating to.

vCash
    And the blogspot always has cool stuff in the off season.

I loved their drink water commercial last year

vCash
    Do we know of any shows (besides the 3 dates for CSOI) that they are doing this summer?
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Daisuke has impeccable taste! Meryl is a force!!!

vCash
    Davis/White usually perform in one or more of the Detroit Skating Club shows in June (Charlie is still a member of DSC)... I'm sure info will be posted once confirmed.

vCash
    I'm so in love with Daisuke for his Meryl obsession Too cute!

Off season might be kind of sad, but to tell the truth (and as much as I LOVED all their dances this season, from SD to EX), I am more than ready for some new programs from them.

And let the WTT be the cherry on the pie for us

vCash
    Looking forward to the WTT. I still don't understand how this team format is going to pan out for Sochi with the team event being before the main event. It would kill all the excitement for the main event if that is truly the case.

Any guesses on what Meryl might wear for the SD this time around?

vCash
    thanks for starting the new thread, tapdancer! loving the new title! just another reason to love Dai

can't wait for WTT!

vCash
    I love this thread title!! hahaha, Daisuke's meryl obsession's probably the cutest thing ever. I saw online somewhere that Dai was trying so hard hanging around Meryl at the Gala practice!

vCash
    Too cute! Meryl is going to have to learn Japanese, to go with her French & Italian.

vCash
    I was reading the Torvill and Dean Wikipedia entry and came across this:

Eleanor’s Dream 1987
    Music: Eleanor Rigby – Paul McCartney
    Known performance period 1987
    Versions available on video/DVD or internet: None known

Little is known about this piece and it has never been released commercially and possibly never recorded. It was also created as one of their pieces for the 1987 Ice Capades Tour. In their autobiography Chris states that he actually passed on the dance for Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay to perform in 1988, stating that the dance was about the relationship between a boy and a girl with the boy breaking in upon the woman’s dreams

Excerpt taken from: Torvill and Dean: Romancing the Ice – Ice Cycles 1988

Both Dean and Torvill seem eager for responses to their new routines in the show and gratified with the verdict that everything is just great, with special accolades going to "Eleanor Rigby". It was their newest routine and it's a very interesting version of the song, undertaken with Paul McCartney, having little relation to the earlier Beatles recording. The version used was from the soundtrack of McCartney's film Give My Regards to Broad Street. Dean and Torvill hated the movie but really liked that version of the song.

"It's sort of our version of a dream sequence," says Dean, referring to their routine.
    "And I'm Eleanor," Torvill says simply.
    Torvill is the fragile title character, clad in muted white with pastel tones across the costume. He is a kind of dream lover to her, dressed in mostly black; he is both exciting and dangerous. She fears him, but she wants him too, and eventually her desire overcomes her fear. That is ultimately her undoing, as he twirls her round and round his body and she can do nothing but be manoeuvred at this will. It ends with her in a crucifix form across his back as he carries her off into the fog. She was right to fear him after all...

vCash
    Duchesnay's Eleanor's Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QhhRDHOri4

I couldn't find the T&D version on youtube.

vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=847

Apparently, Riazanova & Tkachenko will be training with Z&S. Their coach, Gorshkov, will be coming with them.

I'm not crazy about Gorshkov being there...but I can't entirely figure out why I find it so unsettling.

vCash
    Excerpt from TAHbKA's translated interview with Alla Shekhovtsova: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...13&postcount=1
    As for the FD I preferred the American pair. They made the dance look easy, but there is a very hard work behind it. When starting analysing the complicated elements and how easily they were performed you realise what an awesome amount of work was done. Their `Fleidermouse' is a perfection of the ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=847

Apparently, Riazanova & Tkachenko will be training with Z&S. Their coach, Gorshkov, will be coming with them.

I'm not crazy about Gorshkov being there...but I can't entirely figure out why I find it so unsettling.
    I assume it's just for the spring/summer to get choreo and such? I could understand their coach coming with them to see what they are working on, to reinforce it when they go back home.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. Here's an expanded excerpt:

EV: When you were following two top ice dance couples during the Worlds in Nice ,did you have an impression the results were not totally fair?
    AS: It's quite hard talking about the fairness without looking and analysing the protocols

EV: Agree. Nevertheless, I had an impression the 2011 world champions Davis/White were held back by the judges from the very beginning of the ocmpetition.
    AS: I think Virtue/Moir were unquestionable leaders in the SD. As for the FD I preferred the American pair. They made the dance look easy, but there is a very hard work behind it. When starting analysing the complicated elements and how easily they were performed you realise what an awesome amount of work was done. Their `Fleidermouse' is a perfection of the ice dance.

EV: Still they lost the free dance. Could it be because there was no American judge in Nice?
    AS: Could be. The home judge is not only needed to give a higher mark, but because he can promote the skaters among the other judges. Just like we used to do. I remember in one of the competitions I was blamed for national bias. I explained it was not a national bias, but a national understanding of the ice dance.
    If the judge can explain his colleagues his point of view, to convince his skaters' programmes are exactly what the ice dance should be like he can influence quite a lot.
    A description straight from Alla herself about how judges can wage their influence. With each passing article/interview, the idea of D/W may have been low balled here keeps being mentioned - it's not an internet thing. Next season will be very interesting.

Doris, is this the same Gorshkov who is (or used to be) head of the Russian Skating Fed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post

A description straight from Alla herself about how judges can wage their influence. With each passing article/interview, the idea of D/W may have been low balled here keeps being mentioned - it's not an internet thing. Next season will be very interesting.

Doris, is this the same Gorshkov who is (or used to be) head of the Russian Skating Fed?
    Agreed and when there is no "home" judge on the panel to do this sort of convincing for their skaters than the federation has to do it through the media- hopefully in a civil way but still it needs to be done.

Are R/T only coming for choreography and off season training or are they coming for a full season?

I think it's smart for Gorshkov to come too to learn from Z/S about training regime etc. It's the only way to understand what your system is not doing that needs to be changed to get their ice dance program back up to where it once was.

Of course that is more competition for D/W and V/M but that's the way of the world...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post

No more interesting than this season. This worlds ice dance panels, result and reaction were very similar to last years. So following that pattern D&W will win in Canada over V&M with a less crowd friendly program and an extra level in diagonal step sequence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    No more interesting than this season. This worlds ice dance panels, result and reaction were very similar to last years. So following that pattern D&W will win in Canada over V&M with a less crowd friendly program and an extra level in diagonal step sequence.
    Do we know the judging make-up for this upcoming season already?

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast