Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

vCash
    Sorry to hear of the E/L split. I loved their FS this year. Wished they could have done better at nationals. They were an elegant pairs team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Pilates for core strength and ballet for paying attention to the posture and lines?

Just a wild guess.

Well, training time is very limited. You have to allocate your resources wisely as there is never enough time to work on everything and one's body can only handle a certain amount of training as well (assuming you have enough money to really train as much as you'd like which probably hardly ever happens in the first place).

We can bitch about skaters' postures all we want but if skaters will still get high GOE/PCS even with bad lines/carriage (and Denney/Coughlin did this season if they landed their stuff), what incentive do the skaters have to work on it? None.

It's much wiser to use that time and energy on stuff that actually counts, like technical elements.
    So, maybe they should try to get higher levels on certain elements, maybe go for a SBS 3sal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    So, maybe they should try to get higher levels on certain elements, maybe go for a SBS 3sal
    Yep, exactly.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Well, training time is very limited. You have to allocate your resources wisely as there is never enough time to work on everything and one's body can only handle a certain amount of training as well (assuming you have enough money to really train as much as you'd like which probably hardly ever happens in the first place).
    Megan Duhamel didn't work on this much when she skated with Craig Buntin or in her first year together with Radford, but Duhamel has clearly worked hard on this since Moscow. I still would not call her elegant, but she's an example of how much a skater can improve if this is a priority.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Yep, exactly.
    But, I still think judges reward those pairs / skaters that obviously are trying hard to correct deficiencies in their basic skating

vCash
    ARE THEY CRAZY!!!!!!!? They been together for YEARS!!! They certainly DON'T LOOK like the type of Team that would split!!! As they have,and always WILL be one of the NICEST Pairs Teams EVER!!!! It's going to really be hard to deside about staying a Fan of THIS Team!!! I surely will miss them as much as I do Katie and Garrett!!

vCash
    BTW. when did they split?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    BTW. when did they split?
    They announced the news on April 10 in this press release: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...969&type=media
    Amanda wanted to retire from competition and Mark is looking to continue competing if he can find a new partner.

I surely will miss them as much as I do Katie and Garrett!!
    That's nice of you to say. Lots of fans of Amanda and Mark have expressed similar feelings in this thread -- they were and are great ambassadors for the sport, both as a team and as individuals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Amanda is doing the MS-150 in Florida this weekend. She has been training hard the past few weeks to build stamina for the 150 mile bike ride.

vCash
    I must say again,that I am sooooo SHOCKED!!! As I have always thought of those two as the Perfect Pair!!! The only other thing I'm sure of is that it won't be the same without those two together!!! It already feels strange to me. I think THIS Split is surely going to be hard to get used to. What does Amanda plan to do? I know she teaches Basic Skills Learn to Skate.

vCash
    From the press release:
    "Evora will focus on graduating this summer with a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of South Florida, as well as staying active in skating though coaching and other activities."

Quote Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
    Amanda is doing the MS-150 in Florida this weekend. She has been training hard the past few weeks to build stamina for the 150 mile bike ride.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm surprised that Mark can afford to stay competitive with a wife and child. Evora and Ladwig didn't have enough international success to get major sponsorships or be on the high paying tours. He could continue to be successful at the national level, but I don't see him making any major breakthrough on the international level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I'm surprised that Mark can afford to stay competitive with a wife and child. Evora and Ladwig didn't have enough international success to get major sponsorships or be on the high paying tours. He could continue to be successful at the national level, but I don't see him making any major breakthrough on the international level.
    It would also depend on his soon-to-be partner. Perhaps he feels that with a partner who can land SBS jumps, he can rise further despite being in his 30s?

vCash
    I am already feeling greave for them. Those 2 were like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Like I said before...they seemed just perfect together. As Amanda from what I've known. Is such a Sweetheart. Does anyone know if Amanda has kids?

vCash
    As Amanda from what I've known. Is such a Sweetheart. Does anyone know if Amanda has kids?
    I don't think so.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Well, if he finds the right situation ($$$$) with a new, younger partner from a wealthy family, it could end up being worth his while financially to continue.

vCash
    I am already feeling greave for them. Those 2 were like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Like I said before...they seemed just perfect together. As Amanda from what I've known. Is such a Sweetheart. Does anyone know if Amanda has kids?
    Amanda has no children. She was with and engaged to Jeremy Barrett for a number of years, but they have since broken up. I don't think there are any hard feelings with Mark or their breakup. Amanda was just ready to move on after years of competing. I can understand that. She is a world and Olympian and this was their year to win the National title. They didn't and she is graduating from college and moving on to a new chapter of her life! Best of luck to both of them!

vCash
    Amanda Evora's retirement from competitive skating leads off the latest edition of "The Inside Edge" blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
    "Stepping away from competitive skating has been one of the hardest decisions to make," Evora said. "The athlete never leaves the body for all of us, so it's one of those things where it's almost as if you don't know any other way of living. I look back with a lot of pride on my skating career."
    When Evora talks about Ladwig, she talks about respect.

"We support each other," she said. "We've always had a respectful relationship with each other. It's really hard to forget the reason you got together. You're there for a common goal; you have a mutual respect for each other. I'd be lying if I said we never fought, but communication is the key. We were always able to find a resolution at the end of the day."
    "I've applied to start trial judging to see if that's something I would like to do in the future, as well as coaching," she said. "Figure skating has been part of my life since I was 6, and I feel like I want to give back."

vCash
    I heard that Poapst/Knereim have split and I had the thought that she would make a lovely partner for Mark. She seems similar in size and style to Amanda. I don't know what her plans (or his) are but I think they would look good together.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I heard that Poapst/Knereim have split and I had the thought that she would make a lovely partner for Mark. She seems similar in size and style to Amanda. I don't know what her plans (or his) are but I think they would look good together.
    I posted this in the Pairs thread that he has paired up with Lindsay Davis. They will continue to train in Florida, but will also spend time in California for choreography. Right now, it looks like Lyndon Johnson will be their head coach and not Jim Peterson.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast