Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    In my mind, I have no doubt that Evora and Ladwig stayed in this season because they wanted to win the national title - they certainly had the ability to do it had they both skated their best, IMO.
    I agree 100%. 2012 would have been their last shot to win the title and if they had another miraculous skate like in 2010 it could have been done, but miracles only really happen once..

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I agree 100%. 2012 would have been their last shot to win the title and if they had another miraculous skate like in 2010 it could have been done, but miracles only really happen once..
    Based on how everyone else skated, they didn't need a perfect outing to win. Rotating one of the 3toes in either the short and the long & doing their SBS 2axel seq (which is a fairly consistent element for them) would have been enough to make up the 11 pts difference between 3rd and first.

I know Amanda's SBS jumping has always been questionable, but this Nationals was particularly bad. I hope she focuses on the postives from their career as she moves on from competitive skating.

vCash
    2010 wasn't really that miraculous IMO. I thought Inoue and Baldwin should have been picked for the Olympics, even though I like Evora and Ladwig. IIRC they had one fall in the LP.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I did think these two would stay together until they both retired. I wish them a lot of luck on their future endeavours though; the few brief times I've spoken with either of them they have seemed like really nice people.

(((Camp Peterson))) They've lost both their top two teams over the last two seasons.

HeatherC, can we turn you into a Donlan/Speroff groupie?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Their late career rise was an inspiring success story. Sad they couldnt cap it off with a U.S title this year as they were fully capable of. I am very surprised Mark is continuing. It would have seemed like a fitting time to retire together, and I cant see him being successful with a new partner at this stage of his career, especialy with the limited number of quality U.S pairs partners.

vCash
    Deleted
    Last edited by carriemarie; 04-13-2012 at 02:28 AM.

vCash
    I agree 100%. 2012 would have been their last shot to win the title...
    I wouldn't say that, but if you are pretty much just sticking with it to win the National title and you fall short, it gets harder to keep going. Being overly results-oriented usually doesn't work out. And staying in it just to win the National title usually puts enough pressure on you to ensure that you won't win the National title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I did think these two would stay together until they both retired. I wish them a lot of luck on their future endeavours though; the few brief times I've spoken with either of them they have seemed like really nice people.

They are!!!!!

HeatherC, can we turn you into a Donlan/Speroff groupie?
    I like this idea, too!

vCash
    I loved them. Beautiful couple. I will miss them so very much.

vCash
    How about Cassie Andrews for Mark? Admittedly, I don't know the age span between the 2 of them, but she is petite (isn't she?)

ETA - she's 5'2" and 18 yrs old. I guess that's old enough.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'm going to miss Mark and Amanda. I totally enjoyed their skating. I wish them both the very best.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    deleted
    Last edited by carriemarie; 04-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    You do realize Caydee skated alongside Amanda for at least 5 years and trained with the same coaches? It's ironic how everybody thinks they can "fix" her positions...it just how she is built!
    No, it is not just how she is built.

Not extending your lines, not pointing your toes and not slouching is something that can be taught and learned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No, it is not just how she is built.

Not extending your lines, not pointing your toes and not slouching is something that can be taught and learned.
    yep that's it... two Olympic and World Coaches haven't told Caydee to "point your toes" - let's send her a collective email!

I was referring to her turnout issues mainly- imo what make Caydee consistent on throws and jumping is her turned in hips, unfortunately it affects her lift positions in a negative way. She and John are what they are...but they seem to be consistent in their elements - if they can make slight improvements in COP and continue to put out clean performances (POTO and all), I feel they can crawl up a few spots in the World ranking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    yep that's it... two Olympic and World Coaches haven't told Caydee to "point your toes" - let's send her a collective email!
    Whether they told her or didn't tell her, the (toe)point is she's still not doing it.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.

vCash
    Turned in hips doesn't make Caydee keep her shoulders up at her ears when she skates, either.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    If only. . . she sags through her torso, her legs are not straight, and her knees are usually turned in and the toes not pointed on the lift they ALWAYS show pictures of. . . . Here, too, you can see where she's not lifting through the torso but sort of allowing her body to collapse although she tries to compensate by arching her back some.
    Thank you so much for the links to the pictures...and the commentary. I have been wondering what people did not like about Caydee's positions. Now I see it!

I am surprised that her upper body isn't held in a better position, because it seems to my limited brain, that one would use the same set of muscles to land a throw jump that would use in the lift.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Aaaannnnyway- good luck to Amanda and Mark: you will be missed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    If only. . . she sags through her torso, her legs are not straight, and her knees are usually turned in and the toes not pointed on the lift they ALWAYS show pictures of. . . . Here, too, you can see where she's not lifting through the torso but sort of allowing her body to collapse although she tries to compensate by arching her back some.
    You were able to nail this pretty well. What exercises would correct this sagging?

It's interesting that a seasoned coach isn't catching this and training her to fix it. Or, maybe it's a work-in-process type of thing .... I still wish them well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    You were able to nail this pretty well. What exercises would correct this sagging?
    Pilates for core strength and ballet for paying attention to the posture and lines?

Just a wild guess.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    It's interesting that a seasoned coach isn't catching this and training her to fix it. Or, maybe it's a work-in-process type of thing .... I still wish them well
    Well, training time is very limited. You have to allocate your resources wisely as there is never enough time to work on everything and one's body can only handle a certain amount of training as well (assuming you have enough money to really train as much as you'd like which probably hardly ever happens in the first place).

We can bitch about skaters' postures all we want but if skaters will still get high GOE/PCS even with bad lines/carriage (and Denney/Coughlin did this season if they landed their stuff), what incentive do the skaters have to work on it? None.

It's much wiser to use that time and energy on stuff that actually counts, like technical elements.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast